Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 1046
  1. old dog, new tricks

quick update... so I picked up the last of my parts last night and have everything I need to complete my shells. Exciting!

I have a few other things I need to finish up before I can really dive into them but it shouldn't (famous last words) be more than a few weeks and I'll have a playable kit ready to take some pics.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

2. Drumming Since 1943

Can’t wait buddy.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. J-Con

Looking forward to seeing the kit with the toms!

4. old dog, new tricks

Another quick update. It's been a hectic month with multiple projects on the go but I managed to get my upper toms marked and ready for drilling. One thing you may notice when the upper toms are finished is that some of the lugs are not centered on the staves. That's because I built the toms using an 8 lug layout when it's actually a 6 lug layout. Doing a 6 lug layout would have required thicker material that I didn't have at the time and I liked the look of more staves, regardless of the lugs being off centre. (If anyone wants a detailed explanation of this, I can give one in a later post).

Last week I cut all the bearing edges for the toms and the floor tom and when I went to see how the heads fit on the floor tom.... they didn't fit. Why? Because the shell diameter is 1/8" too big. It should be 15-7/8" and it's 16".

It's been nearly 3 years since I machined the shell and I guess I forgot to check the outside measurement at the time. What this means is I have to take a sixteenth off the entire outside of the shell, which will give me 1/8" total I need removed. I'll need to build a new jig and it's quite a bit of work to correct a simple oversight, but the heads simply won't fit unless I do it.

All things considered, it's fortunate that I've made very few mistakes (knock on wood) for building a kit from scratch and having never done it before. I can't afford to start over, my nerves can't take it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

5. Drumming Since 1943

Cariboo Custom Woodworks...
    Way Too Much Crap

6. old dog, new tricks

another quick update: today I finally got around to drilling my 10" and 12" toms and did a dry fit to make sure all the hardware fits, which it does. I also made sure the mounts worked with the lugs I installed and it looks like everything will work out great. First coat of Tung oil tomorrow

7. Rogue Ex-Mod

Awesome! Thanks for posting those pics Jeff!
    My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

8. A Passion Play ...

Looks great Jeff. Beautiful. Glad you are back.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

9. old dog, new tricks

got the first coat of Tung oil on the toms today.... they are looking SWEET. Second coat tomorrow and final assembly on Saturday.

10. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    got the first coat of Tung oil on the toms today.... they are looking SWEET. Second coat tomorrow and final assembly on Saturday.
    Can’t wait to see the final product!!
    Way Too Much Crap

11. Registered User

Looks good jefe!!

12. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

Lookin' pretty slick there, bud. Can't wait to see the finished photos.