Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384 LastLast
  1. old dog, new tricks

the 5.5 x 14 beech with walnut splines was for a buddy of mine who I also did a complete Keller kit for, which turned out really nice. I'm still waiting to get pics of that kit which I will post at some point but he was very happy with it and has used it on several recording projects already.

He first asked me to build him a snare and then asked if I was interested in building a whole stave kit, which I was NOT, haha. He was looking for a high end kit to keep in his studio and we talked about price, what kind of sound he was after and what was available and I suggested that a Keller kit might be a more economical way to get exactly what he wanted. After some research, he agreed.

We ended up going with thin, vintage maple shells in 24 x 14 kick, 13 x 9 tom and 16 x 16 floor tom. After some discussion I ended up cutting the floor tom down to 16 x 14. We went with tube lugs for a vintage look and S-hoops on the tom and floor tom, all in chrome. I drilled the shells, installed all the hardware and did a Tung oil finish inside and out (one coat inside, three coats outside). When he ordered the shells, he had them pick out drums with finish-quality veneers and they turned out really nice.

I had my buddy come over and tune them before delivery and he said they looked and sounded every bit as good as a Craviotto kit and for less than half the price when all was said and done. It plays really well and sounds great; the kick drum in particular is awesome.

It was a nice project and something I would consider doing again if the opportunity came along.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

2. Registered User

Some top notch work jeff

3. old dog, new tricks

During my time away, I've also managed to make some significant upgrades to my shop. I now have a big boy table saw, a nearly dustless, pro-level router station, proper dust collection and a Dewalt 735 thickness planer, upgraded with a Shelix, segmented cutter head. All purchased used or during end-of-year clearance sales where I got incredible deals I normally could never afford. My router station alone would run you around $1500 to buy new but I got lucky and managed to piece it together for around $450. I then built a mobile base with storage for it and I use it quit a bit as a jointer to put a straight edge on raw lumber.

My biggest upgrade is my table saw. I had a Bosch jobsite saw which was a nice little saw and worked great for a home shop but when I decided to get into fine woodworking and needed more precision, it was quickly out classed. I then sold it and bought a Ridgid cast iron top table saw used for $450. I had done research on it and the reviews were positive but after actually getting my hands on it, I was pretty disappointed. I learned that Home Depot (owner of Ridgid tools) sponsored a lot of the reviews but giving guys the saw for free in exchange for glowing reviews. Not cool.

Anyway, I took that stupid saw apart as it was all out alignment and didn't cut straight. I reassembled it properly, squared up the rails and had that thing cutting within two thousands of an inch, front to back (better than factory set). I also built a router table extension for it and made other upgrades myself, making it a far more serious machine. But the fence was not up to par for precision work. I also felt the saw was under powered so I sold it after only a few months (for $650) and bought a proper 2HP cabinet saw for $900, which is a great deal for that saw. They guy even included a small dust collector which I didn't need and ended up selling for $150 so I was only out of pocket $100.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It was like being back in a real cabinet shop again. After getting it all squared up and cutting perfectly (it hadn't been assembled very well from the guy I bought it from) it has become a true workhorse and the real centre of my shop. I had to get 220V wiring installed but what a change in power. I can rip through 2" beech like butter. It's a real pleasure to work with. I've even made some further improvements to it such as beefed up rails (2 x 3 angle iron) for added stability and a removable extension wing. It's on a mobile base as I need to be able to move it to park a car in the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

4. old dog, new tricks

my router station and mobile base houses all my bits, routers, trimmer and accessories. It's a cast iron table and steel router plate which is the best you can get. Normally router tables are around 36" high but I built the base higher so that the router table top as at 48" and it really helps with keeping my back straight when running a lot of lumber through. The cabinet means that there is almost no dust when connected to my dust collector, which is a huge difference compared to my old router table that would make a huge mess.

I built the base from scrap plywood and MDF that I had around the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

5. Registered User

Nice work and great to see you back for however long it may be.

Mapex Saturn IV 10 12 14 20 red blue hybrid sparkle for sale pm me.

6. old dog, new tricks

so in terms of setbacks and issues with my kit build, the main story has been parts.

I originally wanted to use these big, beefy tube lugs that I have on my maple/walnut snare but when I was ready to order them, the company had gone bankrupt. Then a friend of mine bought a whole bunch of Saturn III lugs in black nickel on ebay for a steal because he wanted to swap out his chrome lugs for black nickel. He had plenty left over and asked if I wanted to use them on my kit. I felt it was too good an opportunity to pass up and went ahead and drilled my kick drum to install them.

As I soon discovered, there were no kick-specific lugs among the ones he bought as they are about 3/16" taller in order to accommodate the kick hoops. So now I had to try and find Saturn III kick lugs in black nickel. We looked for months with no luck until finally my buddy got a line on some from a music store in Victoria but the guy said it would be a 6 month wait. Ok fine, I had other projects to work on. The 6 months go by and no word. My buddy goes down there to find out what the deal is and it turns out there never were any available and the guy just forgot about it. So then I gave up on trying to find them but my kick is already drilled for these Saturn III lugs. I had also ordered and mounted black nickel kick legs, so now I was committed to black nickel hardware.

So I start looking for lugs that will work with at least one of the holes already drilled and cover other hole. I find some on Drum Factory Direct that would work AND were less expensive than the ones I originally wanted. An added bonus when working on a budget. Problem... they were out of stock in black nickel. I email the company and they say it will be 8 months for the next shipment to arrive, so I ask to be placed on a waiting list to be notified when they are in stock. Time goes by and I haven't heard anything so I randomly check the site and there are 30 in stock. I grab them while I can and email to find out what happened. Apparently they received a small air shipment while waiting for the main container to arrive and somehow they missed my notification, blah blah blah. They are actually a really great company to work with and accidents happen, I was just tired of waiting.

Well, I ordered the 30 that were in stock and now I have a standing order for the rest so that I'm first in line when the next shipment arrives, hopefully in November. I've already got the rims for the toms and floor tom so all that's left to order is the heads and legs/mounts for the floor tom, hopefully for Christmas as I already overspend in the excitement of at least getting my kick drum put together.

I still have yet to route bearing edges on the toms/floor tom and then drill for hardware which I won't do until I've got all the lugs in my possession.

That's the story up until now and I'm hoping to get the kit done by the end of the year.

7. Drumming Since 1943

Amazing-looking drums Jeff. Shop looks amazing.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

great work Jeff and even greater workshop upgrades .. thanks for the update

9. Registered User

They all look great. The bass drum is a stunner! Nice work.

10. Registered User

Glad to see you back. I look forward to seeing how everything turns out!

11. Registered User

( chants ) Set Up Pics! Set Up Pics! Set Up Pics!

12. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

The drums look fantastic, Jeff! Glad you've come back to give an update!

I'm seriously envious of your new shop tools, especially that table saw. And just having such a nice shop space in general. I expanded my own woodshop capabilities earlier this year with a DeWalt jobsite table saw and Rigid compound mitre saw. They've been a godsend for the small woodworking projects I've been doing.