Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
  1. Is this Illidan?

Hey Jeff, looks great! Copper and Chrome look pretty BA together and don't clash, so I'd recommend chrome as an 'accent' hardware color if you will.

Not sure about your lug designs as of yet, but options for the drum mounts are the Pearl ISS, Optimount, Mapex Iso mounts, Yamaha YESS, or Gretsch. The Gretsch/Mapex mount to the lug, so if you go with either of those you may have to modify them.

Cool thought though: If you go with any of the mounts have you considered stripping them/copper plating them? Also, are you finishing the copper with a clear coat? If not the copper will eventually turn green/oxidize.

2. It was just a two word review.

Very cool project!

It looks great so far, can't wait to see your progress!

3. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by wilo79 View Post
    The good thing is that you won't need to rush into making a badge, you could make the badges years afterwards if you wanted too. I think a nice fibre skin for front of bass would look good. You could even make a wooden drum port to match! Sorry I am getting carried away now lol. Just that I can feel the excitement that you must be feeling/getting from building your kit from scratch. I would love to have the equipment an knowledge and a good hand to do something like this.

Like I said, I won't ever put a badge on the outside of the shell, but I might do a brand. A wood kick port is a great idea, I'm definitely going to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Hey Jeff, looks great! Copper and Chrome look pretty BA together and don't clash, so I'd recommend chrome as an 'accent' hardware color if you will.

Not sure about your lug designs as of yet, but options for the drum mounts are the Pearl ISS, Optimount, Mapex Iso mounts, Yamaha YESS, or Gretsch. The Gretsch/Mapex mount to the lug, so if you go with either of those you may have to modify them.

Cool thought though: If you go with any of the mounts have you considered stripping them/copper plating them? Also, are you finishing the copper with a clear coat? If not the copper will eventually turn green/oxidize.
    chrome is the easiest stuff to get and if it looks ok, I'll just end up going chrome. I really like the Dunnett kick legs because they are very minimalistic, but really like the new Tama Quick-Lock floor tom legs and tom mounts. Problem is, they only work with the Tama proprietary hoops, unless I took it apart and made my own mounting plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ68jMzQBOE

I'm leaning towards the Optimount for my toms as I've had them before and really liked them. The only thing I don't like about them is the size and how much of the shell they cover up. Ill have to think more about that and see if I can come up with something myself that might work with an L-rod design as they are much less obtrusive.

As far as the copper, yeah I think I want to keep it from 'greening'. Any suggestions? I'm not a metal guy at all.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

4. Is this Illidan?

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    chrome is the easiest stuff to get and if it looks ok, I'll just end up going chrome. I really like the Dunnett kick legs because they are very minimalistic, but really like the new Tama Quick-Lock floor tom legs and tom mounts. Problem is, they only work with the Tama proprietary hoops, unless I took it apart and made my own mounting plate.

I'm leaning towards the Optimount for my toms as I've had them before and really liked them. The only thing I don't like about them is the size and how much of the shell they cover up. Ill have to think more about that and see if I can come up with something myself that might work with an L-rod design as they are much less obtrusive.

As far as the copper, yeah I think I want to keep it from 'greening'. Any suggestions? I'm not a metal guy at all.
    http://www.dwdrums.com/images/snares...r-polished.jpg

For the copper it is tough to say how to get the best finish on it without having a 'thick' finish. I'd be a little out of my depth and would recommend asking an expert on it or maybe Al might be able to find out if Pearl just uses standard clear coat or a different finish. Basically all you really need is a clear sealer and I think most of the guys are just using a buffing wheel/compound where the buffing compound becomes the sealer, but I'm no expert (as mentioned).

There is also the Gauger RIMS mount option as well if you want a floating mount. They also offer the floor tom legs free floating mount as well.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post

Have you considered Ludwig atlas mounts? They are a lug and a mount combined. They are nice and small so the shell wont be obscured.

6. old dog, new tricks

No, I haven't seen them I'll have to check them out.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Have you considered Ludwig atlas mounts? They are a lug and a mount combined. They are nice and small so the shell wont be obscured.
    I would recommend them as well. I am typically not a fan of the l-rod/ball and socket mounts, but those are seriously nice mounts. Nice enough that I would consider them if I were in the market for a good mount.

8. old dog, new tricks

ok, so I checked out the Atlas mount and I gotta say, I LOVE the idea of them, but I'm not sold on the functionality of having the entire weight of the drum supported under playing conditions by only two screws. It would give me nightmares that it would crack, though my upper toms will be 3/8" finished thickness so there is plenty of material there to support it. But they will be a heavy drum so I'd like to see more field research done before I buy them.

Really a cool idea though. If they are rugged enough to work I'd use them for tom mounts, floor tom legs mounts and kick spur mounts which would give my kit a consistent look as far as hardware goes, and I love the minimal look.

In other news, I cut and glued up a 12" x 7" maple, 16 stave snare today which will give me a change to take some pics of my exterior routering jig. PIcs will be up when it's done, maybe in the next few days. I'm also working on a 14" x 5.5" snare (walnut) and a maple/walnut 14" x 6" snare for friends since I have leftover planks.

here is a pic of the exterior rounded Walnut snare... there is some really nice grain and colour and I think it's going to turn out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Registered User

Blisco has atlas mounts for a lot of stuff on his kit. Maybe he could chime in. He seems to like them. Also, nice looking snare shell.

10. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    You beat me to it! Jeff, looking good brother; I can't wait to see the finished product. IMO optimounts (unless you go with the aluminum ones) would not go well with what I envision your kit to look like when finished.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

11. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    You beat me to it! Jeff, looking good brother; I can't wait to see the finished product. IMO optimounts (unless you go with the aluminum ones) would not go well with what I envision your kit to look like when finished.
    agreed. I think it's just too much hardware for the look I'm going for. I really, REALLY like the idea of the ATLAS lugs/mounts... they look awesome. I'd just like some info on how they perform.

12. old dog, new tricks

So I cut and glued up two more shells this week: one is a 100% maple, 12x7 snare and the other is a 3/1 Walnut to maple, 14x6 snare.

I took the opportunity to snap a couple pics of my exterior rounding jig and router table in action to give you an idea of how it works and what it looks like. I also took a pic of the cut staves before gluing. The maple snare is going to turn out really, really nice because it's all one wood and you can't even see the seams.
    Attached Images Attached Images