Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
  1. Banned

WoW! This is such a cool project! I will be following closely.

Squaring Jig, Here's how I do it: Simply take a drum or cylinder shaped object known to be square and of at least on inch smaller diameter than the shell you're squaring. Place the shell to be squared over said cylinder somewhat centred. Attach shell to cylinder with screws using equal size pieces of wood between the cylinder and shell. Make sure the screws are all at least a couple of inches from the shells edges.

Now you can cut the bearing edges on the router table and at the same time the shell get's automatically squared.

2. Registered User

Well done so far. I wish I had the skill to build my own drums. Are you going to design a badge for your kit? Looking forward to seeing the finished article

<__NSBlockVariable__: 0x145f7230>

3. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
    WoW! This is such a cool project! I will be following closely.

Squaring Jig, Here's how I do it: Simply take a drum or cylinder shaped object known to be square and of at least on inch smaller diameter than the shell you're squaring. Place the shell to be squared over said cylinder somewhat centred. Attach shell to cylinder with screws using equal size pieces of wood between the cylinder and shell. Make sure the screws are all at least a couple of inches from the shells edges.

Now you can cut the bearing edges on the router table and at the same time the shell get's automatically squared.
    that's similar to the idea that I have, but I'm making an adjustable jig so I can do any size drum I build. It's too complicated to explain so I'll just take some pics when it's built

Quote Originally Posted by wilo79 View Post
    Well done so far. I wish I had the skill to build my own drums. Are you going to design a badge for your kit? Looking forward to seeing the finished article

<__NSBlockVariable__: 0x145f7230>
    I have some ideas for a badge, but won't be doing an external marking because I don't want to mar the wood at all and I have yet to see a badge that actually adds to the aesthetic appeal of a kit. I will probably have a branding iron made and mark the inside of the shells. I dunno, maybe the outside. I'm a ways away from that and will have to do some samples first.

The "company" name will be Cariboo Custom Woodworks or CCW. I'm thinking a simple Caribou head as a logo.
    Last edited by space jeff; 08-22-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

4. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post
    looks great so far!

how thick you going to leave the shells?

they look like they'll weigh a ton...
    yes, the shells are extremely thick and heavy right now which is a result of me not having a thickness planer and just gluing up the staves as whatever thickness the plank was.

The finished thickness will be 1/2" for the kick, snare and floor tom and 3/8" for the upper toms, no reinforcement rings necessary.

I'm still deciding on bearing edges but I'm leaning towards full roundover for the kick, then 45 degree top with 30 degree bottoms for the floor tom and snare with 45 degree tops and bottoms for the upper toms. The nice thing is if I don't like the sound, I can always recut them after.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

5. Registered User

Jeff, too cool! This will be pretty bad ***.

I might have missed it, how will you turn the shells down to the desired thickness.

6. anti-shark cage?

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 3.01.32 PM.png
Views: 1059
Size:  18.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan12 View Post
    Oh, so you quote everyone but me? I see how it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Top quality humour should never be served in a spoon.

7. Registered User

Looks great so far. I've never worked with honey locust, but if it's similar to ash, it might not be best choice for the hoops. One of my first experiments with wood hoops was with ash and they did not hold up well at all. Although it is a hard wood, the cellular structure is quite thin and separates quite easily. Traditional woven wood baskets are made by hammering the tree to break apart the annual rings into thin strips.

8. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by doomonyou View Post
    Jeff, too cool! This will be pretty bad ***.

I might have missed it, how will you turn the shells down to the desired thickness.
    I will be building a jig to router down the inside of the shells. If you google stave shell milling, you'll get some ideas. I'll also post pics when I have it built.

Quote Originally Posted by zachcrash View Post
    Looks great so far. I've never worked with honey locust, but if it's similar to ash, it might not be best choice for the hoops. One of my first experiments with wood hoops was with ash and they did not hold up well at all. Although it is a hard wood, the cellular structure is quite thin and separates quite easily. Traditional woven wood baskets are made by hammering the tree to break apart the annual rings into thin strips.
    Honey Locust is also White Acacia/Ash. I've never worked with it before either so we'll see what happens. It was inexpensive and might work out fine. It's just time invested, that's all. And I've got lots of time.

9. I'm actually sane

nice wood!
    SAManiac's kit is really freaking cool If I do say so myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Any posts that need to declare themselves as "full of win" are clearly devoid of win.

10. Banned

[QUOTE=space jeff;1854330446]that's similar to the idea that I have, but I'm making an adjustable jig so I can do any size drum I build. It's too complicated to explain so I'll just take some pics when it's built

Looking forward to that!

11. Rodgers and Jordy!!

2016 PDF FFL Regular Season Champion 11-1 Record

Way to go Jeff! Looks fantastic so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Boom stands are for sissies.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    that's similar to the idea that I have, but I'm making an adjustable jig so I can do any size drum I build. It's too complicated to explain so I'll just take some pics when it's built I have some ideas for a badge, but won't be doing an external marking because I don't want to mar the wood at all and I have yet to see a badge that actually adds to the aesthetic appeal of a kit. I will probably have a branding iron made and mark the inside of the shells. I dunno, maybe the outside. I'm a ways away from that and will have to do some samples first. The "company" name will be Cariboo Custom Drumworks or CCD. I'm thinking a simple Caribou head as a logo.
    The good thing is that you won't need to rush into making a badge, you could make the badges years afterwards if you wanted too. I think a nice fibre skin for front of bass would look good. You could even make a wooden drum port to match! Sorry I am getting carried away now lol. Just that I can feel the excitement that you must be feeling/getting from building your kit from scratch. I would love to have the equipment an knowledge and a good hand to do something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums