Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
  1. Reborn From Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    do you think it's reasonable to think your kit will be of a similar caliber to a kit made by one of the greatest drum builders of all time... after practicing his craft for decades?
    Drums are not exactly complicated pieces of equipment, there are only so many quantitative metrics to perfect...

2. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
    Drums are not exactly complicated pieces of equipment, there are only so many quantitative metrics to perfect...
    exactly. There are lots of things you can do to make them look all purdy but in the end, they are wooden cylinders. As long as everything is straight, square and true, it should work out. Of course there's things that will change and the sound like thickness of the shell and bearing edges and whatnot but in the end, there's only so many ways to make a wooden cylinder.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

3. Playing since 1976

If you ever get into modifying drums, or working with custom drums, you will see just how complicated drums can be. You'd think hardware, shells, and heads would be standardized, but none of it is. If you're building more than one instrument, you have to know exactly what hardware you plan to use, because all of it is different.

A drum, once built and assembled correctly, may appear to be simple, but building your own from scratch is not simple. You just read Jeff state that he couldn't build steam bent shells in his garage without a large expense (and learning curve as well), so it's not simple. You've also seen all of the issues Jeff has experienced with tools needed to build his stave shells.
    My website ===> CLICK HERE
    My eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    My facebook page ===> CLICK HERE
    My YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

4. old dog, new tricks

If you ever get into modifying drums, or working with custom drums, you will see just how complicated drums can be. You'd think hardware, shells, and heads would be standardized, but none of it is. If you're building more than one instrument, you have to know exactly what hardware you plan to use, because all of it is different.

A drum, once built and assembled correctly, may appear to be simple, but building your own from scratch is not simple. You just read Jeff state that he couldn't build steam bent shells in his garage without a large expense (and learning curve as well), so it's not simple. You've also seen all of the issues Jeff has experienced with tools needed to build his stave shells.
    two points I want to make.

1.) there's a reason almost no one makes steam-bent, one-piece shells.... because it's difficult and costly. No major manufacturer does it because it requires so much hands-on and man hours to do, not to mention specialty equipment. Ply shells are the standard because they are the most cost-effective AND sound great.

2.) I have had issues getting things where I want them but it hasn't been an issue with my gear, my gear works great. It's just not the optimal gear for completing this kind of project. I've made it work and had to buy some more specialty tools (that I could afford) along the way, but it was likely stuff I'd buy at some point anyway. If I was in a fully outfitted wood shop, it would have been WAY easier, but I'm one guy, in my garage working with limited funds.

But the point is to build a high end kit with what I have and what I can afford. Anyone with money can get exactly what they want if they are willing to pay for it. You could commission a machine shop to create perfect, 1/4" thin shells out of single blocks of wood but it would cost a mint, and you have no idea what kind of blemishes are hiding in the wood until you finish machining it.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

5. Reborn From Ashes

If you ever get into modifying drums, or working with custom drums, you will see just how complicated drums can be.
    I've done my fair share of replacing stock hardware. Admittedly, not to your extent. I've also converted toms into snare drums and refinished some drums as necessary. I think I've gleaned enough from those experiences to know that finding compatible hardware and assembling the drum isn't the hard part. Maybe costly, but certainly not as labour- or skill-intensive as shell building (of any sort). That being said, finding the snare wire style I wanted for a 12" drum was quite difficult.

Except I'm not talking about steam-bent shells (maybe y'all were before I got here?). I'm talking stave shells, because that's what this thread is about. Jeff's shells look good, on par with the likes of any commercial stave builder. Honestly, send him some Jarrah and I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a Brady in return *le gasp*

Stave shells employ little more than basic woodworking skills. Some tools make this vastly easier and faster. These are generally employed by commercial operations. Not every hobby woodshop is going to have those tools, but usually there is something that can be used in their place with a few more headaches. This doesn't necessarily lower the quality of the finished product, it just takes more time and caution to get it done right. I think that was Jeff point two?

6. Registered User

Not every hobby woodshop is going to have those tools, but usually there is something that can be used in their place with a few more headaches. This doesn't necessarily lower the quality of the finished product, it just takes more time and caution to get it done right. I think that was Jeff point two?
    This is spot on, from what I've heard from Jeff through this process. Lots of conversations have centred around "if I had [specific tool], i could have done it this much easier and faster way. But because this is what I have, I've had to do it this other way, with more care and attention to get it right." Basically.

Considering what Jeff is working with in his garage, these drums look amazing.

Actually, that's doing a disservice to him to put that "considering...." caveat at the beginning.

These drums are looking amazing......period.