Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 80 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Banned

Default space jeff's kit build thread

hello PFD, this thread will be dedicated to documenting the process of building my hand made kit from scratch.

This project was started in earnest by a gift of $580, raised by my good friend Matt and presented in the following video which I received Christmas morning (2014). Pretty awesome and I intend to engrave the names of each contributor (and my friend Happy who was forgotten from the list) on the inside of the snare shell. It was very uplifting to know that people cared enough to donate money to get me playing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYK...ature=youtu.be

So, that money went to buying a top-of-the-line Bosch router off craigslist and planks of raw hardwood.

The following will be progress reports whenever I feel I've made substantial gains or breakthroughs.

Thanks for checking it out and feel free to ask any questions.

2. Banned

I bought 100 year old maple and 120 year old English Walnut, all sourced from local land by Andy, from Andy's Wood Barn (http://muchmaple.com/). If you live in and around Abbotsford, BC and need hardwood or exotic wood for instrument or furniture projects, he is the man.

The planks I bought were milled sequentially from the same tree which means the whole kit will come from only 3 trees total: Maple and English Walnut for the shells and Honey Locust (aka white Acacia or Ash) for the hoops.

I decided to build my own hoops because it will contribute sonically and cosmetically to the kit, as well as saving money. Honey Locust is a super hard wood and will stand up nicely and look amazing once finished.

You can see the planks in the photos as well I've started to cut the planks into usable chunks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by space jeff; 08-16-2015 at 02:03 AM.

3. Banned

After a whole bunch of research on the net and figuring out the sizes and depths I wanted, the next step was to cut the staves. After cutting the staves, I then glued them up and band-clamped the shells together to set up. This was made easier by taping every joint as you can see in the one photo.

After some deliberation, I decided on the following sizes and shell compositions:

Kick - 20" x 17" - 24 stave, 2/1 Walnut to Maple (meaning walnut/walnut/maple) for more low end punch.

floor tom - 16" x 16" - 24 stave, 2/1 Walnut to Maple

snare - 14" x 7" - 24 stave, 1/1 Walnut to Maple

upper toms - 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" - 16 stave, 1/1 Walnut to Maple

I left the ends long and didn't worry about lining up all the pieces when I glued them because I need to later cut a perfect 90 degree edge.

4. Banned

kick and snare pics...

5. Banned

the next step was to build an exterior routering jig, which I did after some more research on the web and confirming a design that would work for all the necessary shells and any I wanted to build in the future.

** I'll post a pic in a later post of the jig in action as I plan to build at least another snare**

Once the jig was built, I used it to round the outside of the shells. The results are pictured here. I wet the edge of the kick a bit just to show the contrast in colour and grain from the maple to the walnut. Both will be darker and fuller when finished. I plan to finish the entire kit in Tung oil only, inside and out. This is a natural and ages-proven stain as I want my kit to look like fine furniture and didn't want to use gloss or urethane or anything synthetic.

6. Banned

I'm pretty pleased with the results so far and my next step will be building an interior rounding jig as well as a jig for squaring the edge, for which I already have some good ideas, just no money

I will also start on my hoops next, as well machining my own lugs from copper rod. This will save me about $700 and look far better than anything I could have ordered from a website. I want a somewhat antique look to my kit and copper will be a very nice compliment to the finished shells. I bought a 3 foot length of copper for $35 and can get at least 16 lugs, which is a whole drum. That's a significant savings and will look great.

In fact, the only things I will need to actually purchase (besides heads) are the floor tom legs and brackets, kick spurs, snare throw, butt plate and wires (going with a Dunnett 4 stage throw) and whatever tom mounts I decide on... not sure which but am leaning towards Pearl isolation mounts.

7. Registered User

AWESOME. Can't wait to see how this turns out. What colour hardware are you going with? Gold would look sexy...

8. gotta call.....

fascinating

9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    AWESOME. Can't wait to see how this turns out. What colour hardware are you going with? Gold would look sexy...
    I'm machining my own lugs from copper, not sure what the stuff I'll have to buy will be. I'm thinking black so that it doesn't clash?

10. J-Con

I seriously can't wait to see this come together! Really nice job so far.

11. Registered User

looks great so far!

how thick you going to leave the shells?

they look like they'll weigh a ton...

12. Let's Go Flyers

That's awesome! I will be monitoring this thread. I wish I had the tools to build my own from scratch and not just Keller shells like I did. Looks great so far.
    Pearl Free Floating 14x6.5 Phosphor Bronze Snare
    Pearl SSC- #113Sheer Blue- 24/12/13/16
    Xbox Live: hartzdrumz - Instagram: heandartleyy