Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717778798081828384 LastLast
  1. old dog, new tricks

after some deliberation, I've decided not to participate in this forum any longer. That means I will not be updating this thread.

If anyone here wants to see continued work on my kit, PM me your email address and I will contact you directly.

space jeff.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    after some deliberation, I've decided not to participate in this forum any longer. That means I will not be updating this thread.

If anyone here wants to see continued work on my kit, PM me your email address and I will contact you directly.

space jeff.
    That sucks but I get it.

Glad to be working with you outside of this place.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. PDF 8a5h1ng T3am C4p

The forum is lesser for the loss, bud. Will be sure to subscribe to emailed updates.

4. Playing since 1976

Without writing anything that would inflame the discussion, what were you banned for Jeff?
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post

space jeff.
    Hey Jeff. I will make you a deal. I will leave this site, if it will make you stay. You seem to have a lot more in common with most on here. Can someone pass that along to Jeff, since he probably has me on ignore.

6. life start at 125bpm

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Without writing anything that would inflame the discussion, what were you banned for Jeff?
    he's been because of personal attacks and insults thrown out to someone who owns many drum kits. kind of a mix of jealousy and blowing a lead i guess.
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

7. Registered User

Jeff......you will return to the pdf.

These are not the droids you're looking for.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

Jeff............

8. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post

These are not the droids you're looking for.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

Jeff............
    He won't be. He's too busy building me a snare.
    Way Too Much Crap

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    He won't be. He's too busy building me a snare.
    Well that's a good thing! We'll need pics.

10. old dog, new tricks

I've decided to update this thread with some of the progress I've made on my kit and other builds I've done. The process of acquiring hardware has been a particular challenge for reasons I'll describe later.

As of today, I have a fully finished kick drum and two snares. I've also built nine snare drums in total along with the shells (10", 12" and 16") for my kit. I do not plan on building any more drums but have kept the jigs for building snares just in case I change my mind, which is unlikely but you never know.

The snares I've built are as follows:

7 x 14 maple and walnut
    6.5 x 14 walnut with maple splines
    7 x 14 beech with walnut splines
    5.5 x 14 beech with walnut splines
    6 x 14 walnut and maple
    7 x 12 maple
    5.5 x 14 walnut
    7 x 14 walnut (2)

some of these have already been pictured in this thread but here are some pictures of the 7 x 12 maple and the 5.5 x 14 beech with walnut splines. The maple sounds great with a nice pop, yet warmth and great tone. The beech is very bright, has loads of crack and a wide tuning range.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

11. old dog, new tricks

here is the 6.5 x 14 walnut with maple splines. I really like the look of this shell. It is very warm and round sounding yet still has a lot of crack and a wide tuning range. I also got this shell a little thinner to around 3/8" which helps with the resonance and tone.

My bad pics do not do these drums justice, but it's the best I can do. I'm hoping to get them photographed by a friend who is a pro at some point.
    Last edited by space jeff; 09-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.

12. old dog, new tricks

here is the kick drum. I'm really pleased with how it turned out after all the issues I've had to deal with. I'm not great at tuning but put heads on it and followed the Rob Brown "thumpification" tuning method. I had no idea what to expect because it's a stave shell and quite thick, as well as being a 20 x 16. Well.... it definitely thumps. Like a canon. LOADS of punch (indicative of a 20") but there are some weird overtones and rings I'd like to work out. I have no muffling in the drum and the front head is not ported so that could be why.

Heads are ambassador coated reso and an Emad batter with the small ring installed. I know I won't get the low end of a 22" or 24" but I'd like to clean up the tone a bit. A buddy of mine is better at tuning than me so we'll see if he can make it sound better. The room I'm in also isn't great for tuning.