Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384
Results 997 to 1,000 of 1000
  1. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,153

    Default

    quick update... so I picked up the last of my parts last night and have everything I need to complete my shells. Exciting!

    I have a few other things I need to finish up before I can really dive into them but it shouldn't (famous last words) be more than a few weeks and I'll have a playable kit ready to take some pics.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

  2. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    17,614

    Default

    Can’t wait buddy.
    Way Too Much Crap

  3. J-Con

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Looking forward to seeing the kit with the toms!

  4. old dog, new tricks

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland of BC
    Posts
    16,153

    Default

    Another quick update. It's been a hectic month with multiple projects on the go but I managed to get my upper toms marked and ready for drilling. One thing you may notice when the upper toms are finished is that some of the lugs are not centered on the staves. That's because I built the toms using an 8 lug layout when it's actually a 6 lug layout. Doing a 6 lug layout would have required thicker material that I didn't have at the time and I liked the look of more staves, regardless of the lugs being off centre. (If anyone wants a detailed explanation of this, I can give one in a later post).

    Last week I cut all the bearing edges for the toms and the floor tom and when I went to see how the heads fit on the floor tom.... they didn't fit. Why? Because the shell diameter is 1/8" too big. It should be 15-7/8" and it's 16".

    It's been nearly 3 years since I machined the shell and I guess I forgot to check the outside measurement at the time. What this means is I have to take a sixteenth off the entire outside of the shell, which will give me 1/8" total I need removed. I'll need to build a new jig and it's quite a bit of work to correct a simple oversight, but the heads simply won't fit unless I do it.

    All things considered, it's fortunate that I've made very few mistakes (knock on wood) for building a kit from scratch and having never done it before. I can't afford to start over, my nerves can't take it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

    link below for my kit build thread

    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •