Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Drum Kit Project: Blue Sparkle Ludwig Double-Bass Kit

Hey, ya'll!!

I'm new here and haven't posted much - yet! However, in the next couple of years (after I get a huge debt off of my back), I'm planning on trying to assemble a Ludwig blue sparkle double-bass drum set like my very favorite drummer, Ronnie Tutt.

I've been looking at EBay for starters to kind of get an idea of what I might be having to spend (I'm disabled and have been since birth with Cerebral Palsy and Hydrocephalus so that means that I'm unable to work a regular day job but I do play music and I am a lead guitarist in a local band here where I live.

Tutt has always been a huge influence on my drumming - I just don't yet have my dream setup which would be the blue sparkle double-kick drum setup like he used from 1970 - August 20, 1974 when he switched to those bigger Ludwig's with the two 26" kick drums.

One friend of mine in Texas actually put his kit together really quick for around a $1,000 but I don't know how long ago that was. Another friend in Germany also put the same type of kit together from using Ebay but he didn't tell me how much he had to spend.

If I could somehow find out how much that I will need, I'm hoping that I can get our loan company to let me borrow what I need to put the set together.

If any of ya'll have any ideas of how much of the green stuff I'm possibly going to be needing, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,
    Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums

2. Registered User

I can't tell you Tony what it will cost. But you have come to the right place. The PDF is full of very knowledgeable drummers & I'm sure you will get answers to many of your drum needs. It never ceases to amaze me how this forum runs and the participation level. Just hang tight buddy and hopefully you can build your dream kit.

Oh and welcome to the PDF !

Marty

3. Blücher!

Is your plan to find all of the individual drums, and make a kit out of them? Do you want the pre-75/76 3-ply or the post-75/76 6-ply shells? If it were me, I might try to find the pieces in any finish, and then re-wrap them in the blue sparkle. I regularly see 3-ply toms that need work go in the 150-250, range. 3-ply floor toms will probably go in the 200-350 range. The 26" bass drums don't come around too often, and when they do, they are on the pricey side. I recently saw a needs-work 3-ply 26" in boring old black cortex go for nearly $1,100 on eBay. The 6-ply drums tend to run a bit less.
    "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
    The MLX
    Gretsch Broadkaster

4. Less is more

ron tutt really was an incredible drummer when he played with elvis, and elvis was known to be extremely picky about his drummers.....
    the average listener might not think elvis had a lot of drum action going on, but that would actually be quite incorrect, especially in a live setting...

anyway, not sure what kind of setup he had, but im guessing a lot of power toms, given the time frame.....
    blue sparkle is not a finish that comes up very often at all in vintage ludwig, so doing a rewrap of something else might be the best bet. as stated, 26 inch ludwig vintage kicks almost never come up....however, you could easily get a couple of 22x14s and rewrap......you wll also often see vintage power toms and/or concert toms come up at a cheaper price if you wanted to do a rewrap...

otherwise, it could be 25 years before an actual blue sparkle might be able to be assembled, imho....

5. Registered User

If you were looking to put together a Black or White Cortex kit and were willing to make an exception here and there on the era (6 ply vs 3 ply), you could put it together pretty quickly and for not all that much. As said above, Blue Sparkle will be tougher unless you want to re-wrap.

6. Registered User

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marknu1 View Post
    Is your plan to find all of the individual drums, and make a kit out of them? Do you want the pre-75/76 3-ply or the post-75/76 6-ply shells? If it were me, I might try to find the pieces in any finish, and then re-wrap them in the blue sparkle. I regularly see 3-ply toms that need work go in the 150-250, range. 3-ply floor toms will probably go in the 200-350 range. The 26" bass drums don't come around too often, and when they do, they are on the pricey side. I recently saw a needs-work 3-ply 26" in boring old black cortex go for nearly $1,100 on eBay. The 6-ply drums tend to run a bit less.
    Yeah, that's my plan. Actually, I'm going to (hopefully) be buying most of the drums (including the kick and floor toms) from a friend of mine in Texas for around $2,500 - and then I'm going to have another friend from TN actually build the kit. I'm looking for the pre-'75 3-ply shells.

Total cost is probably going to run around $5,000. It will be built by the same man who now owns the 1974-1977 COV (Chrome Over Vista-Lite) drum kit that Tutt played in Elvis's last television special that was shown after Presley's passing, "Elvis In Concert" on October 3, 1977. Another issue that I'm running into is, naturally, people closest to me telling me that it can't be done - especially since I only get about $750-$800/month from SSI. Most of that goes toward living expenses. And I haven't played any gigs in well over a year - so that's another thing working against me right now.

The other problem is going to be trying to save or get the money needed because I'm mildly disabled (Cerbral Palsy & Hydrocephalus) and I'm not able to work a normal job) and I know that the company where I get my loans probably wouldn't loan me that much. Even if they did, I don't know if I could swing the monthly payments.......I've told my parents that they are both going to have to help me out since I'm not getting any gigs (and they both, especially my sweet and dear Mother, know how badly I want this drum kit). Doing something like this has been on my bucket list for over thirty years and, if it's the last thing I ever do while I'm here on Earth, I at least want to finish the project.

Here's what the kit will (hopefully) look like when finished (and, yes, it will be a dead-perfect replica of Tutt's blue sparkle double-kick Ludwig kit including the concert toms:
    Attached Images Attached Images