Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. asdfasfa

Default Drumming recovery? Whiplash style ice pitcher?

Hello! I'm currently tracking drums for hard hitting music, and have to do it again in a couple weeks for another band. My hands are bleeding in multiple places and my bones and joints are in pain. There's swelling all over my fingers and palm and wrists. I was wondering if having a bucket full of ice water to dumps my hands in every hour or so to relieve inflammation would be a good idea -- or if that's just dramatic movie stuff? I don't to develop arthritis or something, haha. Please feel free to share any recovery techniques.

2. #1 Godless Heathen.

If this is a serious post, I'd look into your technique, not a bucket. I play hard-hitting extreme metal and never have problems like that.
    My band plays fast music.

3. your band sucks

I'd seriously look at technique too... if you plan on drumming for the next few decades, you could wind up really hurting yourself going at that rate.

4. asdfasfa

:/ this is a serious post. I appreciate the advise. I think my technique is good. The producer I'm working with wants the absolute loudest snare possible. I don't think there's any moeller variant technique that'll save my fingers from that impact

5. Drum sales/service

Ok Mr. producer, show me "how you would play it."
    Pearl MCX Mocha Tamo
    Pearl ELX Green Fade
    Ludwig Accent Custom Matte Blue

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Pgdan View Post
    :/ this is a serious post. I appreciate the advise. I think my technique is good. The producer I'm working with wants the absolute loudest snare possible. I don't think there's any moeller variant technique that'll save my fingers from that impact
    Drum gloves, tape your fingers, use heavier sticks for bigger impact, use lighter sticks to save your joints & ligament. Use a better mic. Get a better snare or call in sick. All options. I have had some elbow pain before. Not while playing but after. nothing that lasted more than 1/2 hour. Heavy hitter here too.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    Drum gloves, tape your fingers, use heavier sticks for bigger impact, use lighter sticks to save your joints & ligament. Use a better mic. Get a better snare or call in sick. All options. I have had some elbow pain before. Not while playing but after. nothing that lasted more than 1/2 hour. Heavy hitter here too.
    This. ^

8. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by Pgdan View Post
    Tell your "producer" to turn up the volume if wants it as loud as possible. He sounds like a bit of a ****** to be honest because anyone who understands about audio and how sound is created, there is a point where you simply can't get any more sound from a drum. You can beat it with a hammer, it will only be so loud. This point is also WAY past where it sounds good. I mean, I play a heavy backbeat but I NEVER have swollen and bleeding hands... EVER.

You have a problem with how you're playing. Maybe post some vids and we help diagnose the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    This. ^
    you just quoted and agreed with your own post.... you're a strange bird aren't you?
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

9. Registered User

Without seeing you play this is just a long shot but it sounds as though you are gripping the stick too tight and absorbing all of the impact into your hands. I used to play like this and my hands were always covered with blisters and calloused (not to mention the amount of drum head I went through). This sort or playing also means you are working your arms/wrists twice as hard (maybe a reason for the extra soreness/stiffness in your muscles). It isn't hard to get past these sort of technical issues but it will take you some time. Work on playing some single stroke 16ths slowly with a click and really concentrate on letting the stick return from the head and keeping your back three fingers loose but in contact with the stick at all times.

But as Space Jeff suggested, post up a video and we can take it from there.
    Some serious music made by people who can't be taken seriously
    http://www.youtube.com/thereinmusic

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.
    "Frank Zappa"

10. Registered User

Why those quotes do that? therocker said?

11. Is this Illidan?

What kind of heads are you using on the drums? It sounds like the producer is looking for a sound your drum isn't giving him and you likely need to change heads/wires/tuning to get it.

Also, as far as the swelling. Stop. You are doing it wrong. You are going to destroy your body playing like that. If you try to push the sound out of the drum you are going to get a bad sound and injure yourself. Swelling isn't normal. Pain isn't normal. You are likely to end your career doing that.

I'm going to recommend this: Change your heads to a single ply coated and a thin (very thin) reso head. Put some Puresound blaster wires on it and tune the drum up, no dampening. Keep moongel handy if the overtones are out of control. See if that gets the sound he is after. He likely isn't hearing the drum cut enough in the music, which is a sonic thing, not a 'you playing' thing. He knows sounds, not how to get them. Try figuring out what he is after instead of cave-manning the thing.

12. asdfasfa

Thank you all for the help! I'll try to implement the advice. I now understand that hitting the drum more accurately is more of a solution. My rimshots were too "rimmy" and not enough body/meat, and I was tightening my grip on the stick to compensate. Still in pain from hitting hard, but the bones in my fingers hurt less on day 2. And the raw recordings are incredible. I can't imagine Butch Vig telling Dave Grohl to do anything but smash on Nevermind. My band sucks and isn't Nirvana, but I'm down to sacrifice my body a little to achieve the best drum tone possible. I'm using coated emperors on everything and it sounds sick -- the ideal head were supposed to be vintage emperors, but I had trouble getting them. The producer is one of the nicest and most talented people I've ever known! I trust everything he says when it comes to audio stuff.