Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default My transcription of Jojo Mayer's Performance Spotlight Video

Hey everyone! This is my transcription of Jojo Mayer's Performance spotlight solo. (So far, I just have the first of the solos. It's from 0:07-2:10) I'll be posting more as I finish them. After I finish I'll put them all into finale and share the pdf here.

I was lucky enough to meet him a week ago at a clinic where I go to college.

This was really fun and challenging! I'm sure there are a few minor mistakes, so if you see any I'd be happy to know!

Jojo's solo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKve3TyC0Sk

Lindsay
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Registered User

Wow, that's quite the undertaking! Transcription looks good, I think there are a few hihat accents missing throughout and you should think about notating the sticking on the rolls, to be sure you know whether he's playing singles or doubles. Other than that, I'd say you got through the easy part and now off to the woodshed!

3. Is this Illidan?

I think the secret to understanding this style is the fact that just about everything can be broken into a triplet. I don't really see any triplets on here, so I'm not sure that the notation would get the feel right. One big revelation I had trying to play in this style was the triplet thing. Try listening for them, the big section in this solo is when he moves to the floor tom. The FT Crash Snare sections are all played as slow triplets.

4. Registered User

I've learnt a couple of Jojo transcriptions, but I haven't got round to transcribing any myself yet, so I'll be curious to have a look at yours! I'll comment back here when I can, I'm in a hostel in Bolivia with pretty terrible wifi at the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to watch the video haha.

5. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I did not spend enough time in college. Damn that is some work.

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED