Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. #38 Stainless Steel

Is that Chad Smith?
    Last edited by Derek Wolfford; 03-25-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Animated pictures within a thread are not allowed
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

2. Banned

Yes, Pearl just called him to tell him he will have a small amount of lug splay.

3. Meus nomen est Nate.

Those photos make it look worse than it is. I suspect those pics were taken with a cell phone. The lens on a cell camera always squash everything in the picture toward the center causing distortion in the image. Also, make sure your hoops are in round. An out of round hoop will cause splay.
    TOOL

"Thereís a strong correlation between this bandís name and the type of people who listen to their MC Escher butt rock. Hopefully it will be 10,000 more days before they release another album."

4. Registered User

I have to say thats strange and I think I would be a bit miffed if my kit had splay like that. Good luck with dw I hope they can help you out!

5. th droids yerlookn4

i think most that is is the camera
    a silly thing.. properly aligning the hoops might help ....they dont line themselves up ...i think most of your problem is just not concentrating on where the hoops seated..... that being said ,who gets this technical? if it sounds good then the drums work....yay

6. Registered User

Try doubling up on gaskets...just a thought.
    Mapex Saturn Supernova Red Burst 18x24 8x10, 10x12 16x16
    DW Design Series Acrylic 5 Piece
    DW Collectors Blue Glass 8x12, 14x16, 18x22
    Tama Superstar Custom (Maple Shells) 14x26, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18
    Ian Paice Signature Snare 6 1/2x14
    Ludwig Supralite 8x14
    Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14

7. Registered User

This is one of those I've just never "got". I have no idea if any of my kits have this. I certainly spend time admiring the finish, but that's as far as I go.

8. Registered User

Sure, the splay may not have any affect on the sound, but if I spent what DW charges for a kit, that thing better be perfect... PERFECT!!! If you're not paying for quality, you're just paying for a nice finish and a name.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
    I spent what DW charges for a kit just paying for a name.
    Truer words hath ne'er been quoted.

I'll make a good tabloid journalist one day....

10. Registered User

This forum would be really dull without nik12
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath

11. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You're joking right davezedlee? Aside from your assertion being unprovable, construction quality and quality control have advanced significantly over the last hundred years. There is no excuse for any imperfection in a kit costing thousands by one of the largest drum companies in the world. It's a sign of poor craftsmanship, poor attention to detail, and people not taking enough pride in their work. If I were the person who made those drums they would never make it to the customer with a problem so glaringly obvious and so easy to fix. You can say we need to get over ourselves all you want, but you're not the one who paid thousands and got sub par craftsmanship. If you'd settle for something like that then good for you. Some of us don't lower our standards when spending large sums of money. If the kit isn't exactly the way he wants it at that price then that's unacceptable. End of story. I honestly can't help but doubt that you've ever dropped that kind of money on a kit if you'd be willing to say anything less than exactly what you wanted and expected is acceptable.
    Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Truer words hath ne'er been quoted.

I'll make a good tabloid journalist one day....
    Hahahaha...

I've been seeing an increasing number of folks lately having issues with their DW kits. Many of whom custom order a kit, and are then disappointed with the sound. I've personally never played a DW kit that blew me away, and I've played a LOT of DW kits (backline at many gigs). When I buy a used kit off craigslist for $500, it bugs me when something is defective like that. I can't imagine how I'd feel spending thousands of dollars, and finding out that things are misaligned... Unacceptable.
    Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same