Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by drumfreek005 View Post
    I don't mean to sway this one way or the other, but I wonder how many of those issues, at least from the sound perspective, are from people not doing their research before ordering...
    Perhaps online, but I seriously doubt most people have heard these kits in person, especially the expensive custom ones, before they buy them. I know I got my first GMS kit purely based on hearing a snare. This was before the Internet was where it is today.

When I see people make these crazy ply choices, I immediately wonder if they are going to like what they end up with. I know I bought a Global shell purely because I liked the sonic description and beauty of it. I sold that thing almost as fast as I got it.

2. Registered User

So I emailed DW on Tuesday and still have no response. I appreciate it isn't the biggest issue, but even still....not impressed.
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_667 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate everything you are all saying and it is certainly helpful having a fresh perspective on this.

I guess selling everything is a stupid idea and makes me sound like a child throwing my toys out of the pram so perhaps that is not my best option here. As I have said, sound is key and I absolutely LOVE the sound of all of these drums. Probably a stupid question, but does anyone think emaling DW would be worth the effort?
    On some of the drums if looks like the head has not been seated properly, so some are bent to the right or left, I think that is causing most of the issues.

I'll accept that the tension rods are not 100% parallel to the shell, but this is a common feature of many many drums, especially ones with swivel nuts where a certain degree of vertical play is easily accommodated. If the splay is minor and all equal I wouldn't really call it a fault.

Name:  IMG_0874.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  46.0 KB

One of the best snares from one the most respected companies in terms of QC. Notice how the tension rods are not parallel to the shell.
    I play Panda Percussion and Istanbul Mehmet Cymbals with negligible talent.

At any time let x be the number of kits I own, then x+1 is the number of kits I want.

4. Angoose

Like Andrew said, this 'issue' is predominately with you, for not lining it up properly when you reassembled the drums (the left and right splay). You said it was fine before you changed the hardware?.... Give it another go and actually pay attention to getting it straight. The hoop holes directly about the lugs etc. That really should sort out the L/R splay.

5. Registered User

Listen to Andrew. This is a non issue.

6. Registered User

What happen?

7. Hot **** Tamale!

Just checked my MCX... Perfect no splay!
    K3ith R

Pearl MCX/280 - 8x7,10x8,12x9, 13x9, 14x14,16x16,18x22
    Zildjian As, Ks, / Vic Firth 5A, Vater Mike Johnston model

8. Registered User

Sell them...get yourself some nice Pearls! Problem solved.

9. Prosevere

I new to the DW game, I got my kit used off of eBay , it's what a lot of people call a pre-collectors kit. It's a mid 90s kit ( I think, ) it's defiantly Keller shells. I have a friend that is endorsed by DW and when he saw my kit he freaked out , he kit is a modern DW exotic with the SSC technology and the true pitch tension rods and he like the older kits with the Keller shells more, he said there is just something about the way the older DW sound that the modern ones don't have.

But next time I go to my rehearsal place, I'll check and see if mine have it.
    I Play Hard, I Play Loud , I Play DW Drums, Pedals, Hardware, TRX Cymbals, Evans Drumheads, Vater Drumsticks and use JamHeads custom Kick Drum Heads.

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by andrew brooks View Post
    On some of the drums if looks like the head has not been seated properly, so some are bent to the right or left, I think that is causing most of the issues.

I'll accept that the tension rods are not 100% parallel to the shell, but this is a common feature of many many drums, especially ones with swivel nuts where a certain degree of vertical play is easily accommodated. If the splay is minor and all equal I wouldn't really call it a fault.

Name:  IMG_0874.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  46.0 KB

One of the best snares from one the most respected companies in terms of QC. Notice how the tension rods are not parallel to the shell.
    I understand what you're saying Andrew, and I'm sure your drum plays fine, but that Sonor shell is definitely undersized.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Angoose

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I understand what you're saying Andrew, and I'm sure your drum plays fine, but that Sonor shell is definitely undersized.
    All of sonor's (high end drums,at least) shells are undersized as far as i'm aware?...

12. Registered User

My '87 Sonorlite has a slightly undersized shell but zero issues with lug splay. In fact it is the most well made drum I have ever seen.....and it's nearly 28 years old with everything working perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SONOR, ZILDJIAN, REMO, PRO MARK, Favourite Drummers: Matt Cameron, Nicko McBrain, Mikkey Dee

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Pearl Jam
    3. Rush
    4. Motorhead
    5. Black Sabbath