Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Default Crystal Beat vs Tama Silverstar Mirage

Somehow I missed hearing about Tama's new Silverstar Mirage kit until today.

It's priced the same as the Crystal Beat but it also comes with a matching snare.

The battle of midline acrylic kits is ON!

Has anyone seen both kits in person? any thought on which has the better build quality?
    I like the "free" snare with the Tama, but the clear bass hoops on the Pearl are pretty awesome.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/japan/news...age/index.html
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

2. Rhythm Devil

I like the Star tom mounts for flanged hoops. Is that new?

3. There really is a Kalamazoo!

If it's the same as on the regular Silverstar, it's been out a few years. It's basically just a regular RIMS-Style system, not like the Starcast system that clips to the rims like on the rockstar a number of years ago.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

4. Rhythm Devil

I see. They do look good, though.

5. Spirit WARS inside..

I haven't seen the Tama offering, but I got up close and personal with a tangerine tint crystal beat 1up, 2down.. No snare included, but it sounded absolute aces!
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

6. There really is a Kalamazoo!

I think the clear acrylic bass hoop really gives the Pearl a great finished look that beats the look of the DW Design series and Tama Silverstar Mirage.

7. Less is more

that's a really fugly mount system on the tama.....looks like it's painted black? yuck.

8. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm Devil View Post
    I like the Star tom mounts for flanged hoops. Is that new?
    Turn-of-the-millennium Rockstar kits had Starcast Mounts and Trip-Flanges using rim clips.

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    If it's the same as on the regular Silverstar, it's been out a few years. It's basically just a regular RIMS-Style system, not like the Starcast system that clips to the rims like on the rockstar a number of years ago.
    This.

9. Unban nik12

I'd definitely go with Crystal Beats. I like the Opti/tube system (not a common opinion, I know) more than the L-rod system, the kick spurs on the Mirage's don't look nearly as sturdy as the ones on the Crystal Beats, and I like the sizes of the Pearls more.
    Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chilledbongo View Post
    that's a really fugly mount system on the tama.....looks like it's painted black? yuck.
    Attachment 479078

11. Banned

As for the topic: Crystal Beat vs Tama Silverstar Mirage? Key differences appear to be price, bass drum hoops, bass drum spurs, tom mounting, and snare (or lack thereof). Take your pick. Personally, I like the Pearl bass drum features and the Tama tom mounts. The Tama snare looks cheap, and the Pearl snare doesn't exist. The tama is more cost-friendly.

Conclusion? Neither...

12. Less is more