Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller89 View Post
    Time to find some broken cymbals to start playing with lol
    The ones you were working in the DIY thread looked really good.

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    The ones you were working in the DIY thread looked really good.
    Thanks. They are just cut down and I started the lathe them so far. I tried to hammer the 15" before I figured out how to remove some weight off the cymbals and it sounded kinda bad... I have now lathed most of the hammer marks out if it aside from around the bell, as you can still see those in the picture.

I'm trying to research a bit more about hammering before I go at it again and I need to get some hammers and anvils set up before I do it too. My father in law is dropping a couple walnut trees so I will grab a stump or 2 for wood anvils and I also plan on attempting to make a stave snare from it with my pap (the one who cut the end of his finger off with a table saw)

3. Registered User

Thanks. They are just cut down and I started the lathe them so far. I tried to hammer the 15" before I figured out how to remove some weight off the cymbals and it sounded kinda bad... I have now lathed most of the hammer marks out if it aside from around the bell, as you can still see those in the picture. I'm trying to research a bit more about hammering before I go at it again and I need to get some hammers and anvils set up before I do it too. My father in law is dropping a couple walnut trees so I will grab a stump or 2 for wood anvils and I also plan on attempting to make a stave snare from it with my pap (the one who cut the end of his finger off with a table saw)
    Yeah, I'd let him run a chain saw!

4. Registered User

But seriously, the stump anvil is a very good idea.

I hammered a cheap throw away cymbal. I went from sounding like crap to thin beat up crap.

But it was fun. I definitely stretched and thinned the metal. What type hammers you gonna use? Body work hammers? That might be a way to go and then you'd have them for beating fenders too!

5. Registered User

I'm going to have to get some hammers or shape my own from old ones. I only own mini sledges and ball peens (which would work) since I'm not a body guy. I make stuff work, not so much make it pretty lol. Oh yeah, I do have a claw hammer at home lol.

6. Registered User

I'm going to have to get some hammers or shape my own from old ones. I only own mini sledges and ball peens (which would work) since I'm not a body guy. I make stuff work, not so much make it pretty lol. Oh yeah, I do have a claw hammer at home lol.

I used a claw hammer on mine!