Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
  1. Registered User

Finished the floor tom. The grain wen up and down the tom instead of around it. I was hard to sand, hard to fill the wood grain and the seam held the old wrap glue way really well. The left over glue even gave the paint a different appearance when dry. So I striped it. Shame it fell out right on the leg. With the holes, during taping I thought the stripe lay out was cool but the stripe is there because the seam is there. Name:  image-3378160961.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  375.6 KB Name:  image-1002819965.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  474.1 KB Name:  image-1002819965.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  474.1 KB

Name:  image-334574606.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  430.2 KB

They were dirty. When I bought it, the floor tom could only stand on two feet. All the parts were there so no problem. I new something was stripped. These floor tom mounts have the threaded ( Eyehooks ) ? loop that the leg post goes threw. It wasn't the hook but the Pearl cymbal stand wing nut doing its best to hold the FT up but just couldn't. I tried a lot of drum nuts had and even some homemade attempts just to make it stand. Nothing! I was already surfing the web in search of FLOORTOM.com and thought, I'll look in the basement one more time. Found this China wing nut in an old junk parts box. And you can see the factory wing nut. That's getting to the point of hairy dirt. I'm a life long Pearl guy. Every kit I've ever worked on had been Pearl. The SPL kit was different, but this Pacific kit is really different compared to Pearl.
    Last edited by therocker; 09-20-2019 at 02:10 AM.

2. Registered User

Cont.

The lug kinda " pops " out of the holes with a lift on the swivel nut and when replacing they sort of " snap " back on. Pearls not like that. Screws out, lugs off.

Also, the insert that hold the swivel on Pearl lugs is pliable nylon and the Pacific is flexible rubbery.

bonus...the round lugs where way easier to clean than any lug I've ever done. And I've done a lot of different snare brand and eras.

Name:  image-2748522900.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  466.6 KB

Name:  image-185265991.jpg
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  image-140746611.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB

Yada, Yada , Yoda!

3. Registered User

...the finished floor tom. [ATTACH]Name:  image-2875007409.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  413.7 KB Name:  image-3218558772.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  434.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

4. Registered User

... Finished floor tom.

5. Registered User

The kit and hand painted Reso. I used acrylic paint so I can just wash it off with soap and water.

Suburban Rocket Launchers!

6. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

Neat project. Many of you guys who do this to a kit almost always end up with a mat finish. What does it take to make it high glass?

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    Neat project. Many of you guys who do this to a kit almost always end up with a mat finish. What does it take to make it high glass?

Thanks. I enjoyed doing it. I wanted a matte finish. I think they look good but mine came out a little more flat than I wanted. I actually used camo boat paint. I wanted more military olive green but got a slightly green gray.

High gloss would require gloss paint and way more sanding and wet sanding. That maybe with in my ability but far exceeds my enthusiasm to do so.

8. Rockin' the Cosmos..

lookin good rocker .. the tape seam on floor tom would bug the pi$$ out of me and I'd have to sand entire shell, then use goo-gone or paint thinner to actually remove residue, then sand again. The open pore wood on outer ply of shells would bug me also .. never heard of using drywall mud , I always used wood grain filler on open pore wood.

9. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    What does it take to make it high glass?
    lacquer, sanding, rinse/repeat multiple times , then buffing with compound to make it mirror glass .. it's not for weekend warriors .. it's labor intensive and time consuming, but the end result is what I take pride in

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    lookin good rocker .. the tape seam on floor tom would bug the pi$$ out of me and I'd have to sand entire shell, then use goo-gone or paint thinner to actually remove residue, then sand again. The open pore wood on outer ply of shells would bug me also .. never heard of using drywall mud , I always used wood grain filler on open pore wood.
    It's a joint compound that I've had sitting around. I figured " why not!" . I need new heads for the kit and I'm going to use it a gig kit. No bags or cases. Just put it in the vehicle and go. Thanks for the compliment, BadA .

11. Rockin' the Cosmos..

whatever works .. use what ya got on hand .. did you just freestyle the bass logo? cause the e and r looks like you thought you had enough space but then realized you didn't and did what ya had to do to make it work .. looks better than anything I could draw .. I suxx

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    whatever works .. use what ya got on hand .. did you just freestyle the bass logo? cause the e and r looks like you thought you had enough space but then realized you didn't and did what ya had to do to make it work .. looks better than anything I could draw .. I suxx
    Totally freestyle. I went a head and crammed those letters together like the old Jefferson Airplane / Hendrix type font. I knew I didn't have enough room with the port there. The whole ribbon came about because it's hiding the off center Remo logo.

Best part is I can wipe it right off with soap and water, after removing the head, when I feel and paint a new one.

It's acrylic craft paint. It really come off that easy.