Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by paradiddlediddle666 View Post
    Whatever blows your hair back, guy. No judgement here.
    Hahah!!
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

| TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE | SABIAN & MEINL CYMBALS |

KCCO

2. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    or what didn't happen? Seems a ridiculous request since pearl is telling you that this is a release at NAMM 2015! I mean are you really going to call bull**** here?

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    so ... just by this description it's safe to assume that the interiors will look like the 80's Pearl Maple/Fiberglass GAX shells? .. Like in the picture I've attached of an actual GAX Maple/Fiberglass interior?
    Looks like wood?

3. life start at 125bpm

yep,the badge reminds me my old concert tom BLX kit. i just love the idea of fiber shells coming back .
    RUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

4. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Looks like wood?
    Yeah .. but a thin layer of fiberglass is on the interior wood ply with lacquer applied on top .. look at reflection of interior on reso head and you'll see the fiberglass .. The GAX series drums were 6 ply Maple with a thin layer of fiberglass applied to interior .. 3 made for US endorsers and the rest made for Japanese market

5. Registered User

Are all finishes listed available in all sizes listed?

Always liked Platinum Mist - love the Antique Gold!
    up yours

Pearl Session Studio Classic 22/13/16 - Yamaha Stage Custom 18/12/14 - Pearl Power Piccolo Brass - Bosphorus - Roland TD-12

6. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BadAstronaut View Post
    Yeah .. but a thin layer of fiberglass is on the interior wood ply with lacquer applied on top .. look at reflection of interior on reso head and you'll see the fiberglass .. The GAX series drums were 6 ply Maple with a thin layer of fiberglass applied to interior .. 3 made for US endorsers and the rest made for Japanese market
    Bollsocks. When they said a fibreglass layer, I figured they meant something with some heft, something that would actually have a massive effect on the sound, i.e. resin-ing in a layer of cloth:

7. #38 Stainless Steel

Well, yes. And when you do that, it ends up looking like that pic that BA posted.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

8. Banned

If so, I've never seen it so translucent. Maybe I'm just more accustomed to much heavier clothes...

9. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post

Looks like wood?
    The picture Bad Astronaut posted was of the GAX drum I owned. It looks like clear lacquered wood at first glance, but it actually was a very thin lining of fiberglass and the wood grain showed through. The interior was not smooth like a lacquer, but had a bit of texture. Look close and you can see it. I think the wood/fiberglass shells that Pearl made in the 70's (whose badges these new ones are based off of) had a thicker lining of fiberglass than the GAX. I'd be curious to see what the interior of the new drums look like.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

10. #38 Stainless Steel

Look at how silky white the cloth is when it is laid out. Then observe what happens when it is saturated with epoxy and pressed against the wood.

1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

11. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    I think the wood/fiberglass shells that Pearl made in the 70's (whose badges these new ones are based off of) had a thicker lining of fiberglass than the GAX. I'd be curious to see what the interior of the new drums look like.
    yeah they did .. That's why I asked Derek if interiors will look like GAX interiors because of description he gave .. that and in pictures posted you can see wood through port holes .. so I'm assuming they made them like the GAX .. thin layer of fiberglass with lacquer showing wood

12. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post
    Look at how silky white the cloth is when it is laid out. Then observe what happens when it is saturated with epoxy and pressed against the wood.

great explanation of how it looks when applied