Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Mountain Man

I lusted after a free floater, got a brass 14x6.5, cleaned it up and put new heads and puresound wires...hated it. It was so dead sounding compared to other snares, even my MCX which sounds like dry toast.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

2. Registered User

I have had two brass FFs, a 6.5 (current snare) and a 8". Both of mine are/were so ringy that I usually have to add a moongel to them to tame them down. I have seen several people who share your view on them. Maybe there is that much variance in the shells that causes such a vairety? They are definitely a snare you either love or hate, there is no in between with them.

3. The Hardware Guy

There's only one FFS snare I want, and have sought for many many years (like, since 1998/1999), which is the CF-9114D

I've never seen one in the flesh, although I have played it's baby brother, the 3.5" piccolo version. I had a 6.5" steel shell for a while, and very briefly a 3.5" maple version too (which technically was just on loan for a few months)

Over the years I've found two 6.5" carbon shelled FFS snares. One wasn't legit (it was an aftermarket shell), and the second used to belong to Mel Gaynor of Simple Minds, and I very nearly bough the drum, but it went out of my price range (which I'm still kicking myself about now)

PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

4. Registered User

That would be a snare to have for sure. I love the look and sound, it would be a monster! I am sure the price got high also because it used to belong to Mel Gaynor. I almost got a CZX snare that belonged to Will Calhoun, but the same happened, it got astronomically priced.

The one FF shell I would like to find is the 1 piece maple 6.5 FF (you may be the one that brought it to my attention that it even existed)

Name:  1993-FF-maple-1-ply.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  67.1 KB

I believe I could order the shell as a Masterworks, but it would be much nicer to find one of these rare gems

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Slickleg View Post
    hey guys. I picked up a used 14x3.5 Free Floater on the cheap. Here it is. I was wondering if anyone ever bought longer hex rods to be able to swap out shell depths on the fly. Let me see/hear your free floaters!
    Is this the steel one? Do you have samples of this bad boy?

6. Registered User

My new to me free floater just shipped today! Can't wait for this bad boy to come! I'm so excited that I'm having it shipped to my work haha!! Let the wait begin.....

7. The Hardware Guy

Gibraltar?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    Gibraltar?
    Yes! They were the first ones with the design then Pearl bought the patents and design to what we all know today! Is this your?

9. #38 Stainless Steel

No, that was CB, as can also be seen on the strainer above.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

10. The Hardware Guy

It's not mine, I spotted it on eBay. I think it's for sale by Rupps in Denver

PICSPICS 2

11. old dog, new tricks

I had a 14x6.5 one-piece maple free floater for years and LOVED it. I'd like to pick a free floater up again so I can use it to test shells as I build them.
    “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

link below for my kit build thread

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...t-build-thread

12. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by space jeff View Post
    I'd like to pick a free floater up again so I can use it to test shells as I build them.
    That's a cool idea!