Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Free Floater Pics/Discussion!

hey guys. I picked up a used 14x3.5 Free Floater on the cheap. Here it is.

I was wondering if anyone ever bought longer hex rods to be able to swap out shell depths on the fly. Let me see/hear your free floaters!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Towering Filth

Quote Originally Posted by etixd View Post
    I can take a 10-year-old out with one kick to the face, I don't see why the uncle didn't fight back?

2. Vault Dweller

Not related but...
    Heck yeah for Pearl + DW hw!!
    This Couch is Long and Full of Friendship
    Pearl Export ELX in Galaxy Blue 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x11,
    Pearl MCX Red Glass 14x6.5 with Superhoops
    Looking for a matching 16x16 floor tom w/ legs

3. #38 Stainless Steel

Yes, the lug posts can be swapped for different-sized ones, and people have done that. But if you want to be able to swap in different depth shells "on the fly", you'd be better off with a few sets of different length tuning rods. Easier to swap out and the lug posts were not designed to be removed and installed very often.

Here are two of my free floaters:

8" brass and 3.5" red lacquered, hammered brass "Millennium" piccolo. The third snare is a 6.5" Custom Z.

I also own a 6.5" steel shelled FF and a Tico Torres Signature (6.5" cast aluminium with satin hardware).
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

4. Registered User

I own two Pearl FF's but I do not have Pearl shells in either. I like to by them when they go cheap on ebay (sometimes the older models go for $100-150), and then use the hardware as a test bed for different types of shells. I currently have one that has a 5x14" Maple/Purple Heart stave shell in it, and another that has a 6.5x14 Joshua Tree steam-bent maple shell in it. And yes, the easiest way to swap out different depth shells is just to have several sizes of tension rods on hand. I have the 6.5" shell in a frame with the shortest piccolo lugs, and about 6" tension rods. Some people would think it looks goofy but I dig it, it shows more of the shell's surface instead of just metal.

5. Skeld-the -wicked

Default Here's mine

I have bought and sold many snare's and this one is the absolute best I have ever played !!!!!
    Pearl Masters Premium Diamond Burst 6pc
    Pearl Masters Red Mahogany Classic 6pc
    Pearl Masters Premium MRP 14x5.5 snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Vic Firth sticks

6. Registered User

Found this baby used (brand-spanking new) for $200. Someone special ordered it. Maple piccolo in ocean sparkle. I almost cried when I saw it.
    Solo project: "Suicide Animals" - experimental death thrash industrial zombie noiz
    drums: Pearl Prestige Session Select in Carbon Mist
    hardware: all Pearl
    cymbals: Paiste (Signature, Sound Formula, RUDE, VISIONS, 2002, and Twenty Series)

"Everything you do is a reflection of you......"

7. Drummist

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skeld-the-wicked View Post
    I have bought and sold many snare's and this one is the absolute best I have ever played !!!!!
    Best sounding maple snare I ever owned. The sole reason I sold mine was that it was so nmad loud! I never could play it quietly for whatever reason--go figure. Use an Omar Hakim dig now and never looked back. Maybe one day, I might get another and try a mahogany shell...

Your drum looks great! Enjoy--
    cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

8. ...A mind like Water...

I have the 14x6,5 natural maple FF and as amazingly well built it might be, it also has a seemingly fatal flaw.

The actual interruption of shell vibration from the contact of the wood onto the aluminum frame where the snare side bearing edge resides:

The reality is that wood and metal don't vibrate the same way. Vibration and response are both key factors to sensitivity, dynamic control, volume and projection in a drum. If there is a starting response that has its wave interrupted by a choking material than the drum cannot perform to its fullest potential. This may be the case with the metal FFs too but I only own the maple so that's where I create this hypothesis. I've had multiple heads on it but I can't get it to respond the way I want. The overall sound and top head-tone is pretty good, but I feel like I'm fighting it when I do fast 16ths on it or any type of rudiment. I bought a brand new Pearl 14x6.5 steel sensitone for under $200.00 and that thing KILLS. It's super responsive, throaty, sensitive, and projects to high hell! It has no interrupting factors from top to bottom head. The only possible thing that doesn't allow it to be 100% is the hardware attached, but that doesn't stop the impact vibration from the top head hit resonating down the shell into the resonant head. When you HIT the drum the top impact vibrates into the shell and resonates through the shell activating the bottom head and snare response on the bottom head. Snare side heads are so thin and choked by the wires as is so they don't really produce any tone. The TOP head tone is fundamental in the snare's actual tonality and projection where the bottom head is responsible for snare response. The shell has no circular interruptions and is the SAME shell from top to bottom thus the musical note it produces isn't interrupted from top to bottom.

Whereas in the free floater, it converts 80% through into a new shell material thus interrupting the corresponding vibrations from the top shell.

Hope this makes sense, it does to me at least!
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

9. ...A mind like Water...

Also to add.

Their newest FF with the bell bronze must sound quite good, mainly because the shell material is much harder and vibrates more aggressively allowing that vibration to pass down into the cast (aluminum?) chassis and activate the snares better. Wood does not vibrate like metal, it's more sensitive in vibration because it's lighter, more porous and less dense. So they will not vibrate in sync. The metal is likely to stop the vibration of the wood.
    Owner of two gorgeous Pearl Masters kits. Metal drummer, music and drums for life!

10. #38 Stainless Steel

The snares aren't activated by the vibration of the head, but by being pushed off the head by the pressure wave of the stroke, and subsequently snapping back onto the head.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

11. ...A mind like Water...

That was integrated into my description. I should have specified.

12. Registered User

My 8" Brass

Name:  bff-8.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  320.3 KB

3.5 Maple

Name:  mff-35.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  198.8 KB

And.......