Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
  1. Purple Crazed

I contacted Pearl Corp today to determine if it would be safe to take my reference kit outside in the cold for the December gig. To be on the safe side, they recommended that I do not. I am glad I asked because I don't want to risk having the lacquer finish crack. I will probably just take the school's bass drum and a bell brass snare to the gig along with a hi-hat and ride.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

2. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by RG1820X View Post
    I contacted Pearl Corp today to determine if it would be safe to take my reference kit outside in the cold for the December gig. To be on the safe side, they recommended that I do not. I am glad I asked because I don't want to risk having the lacquer finish crack. I will probably just take the school's bass drum and a bell brass snare to the gig along with a hi-hat and ride.
    Better to play it safe. I've seen multiple instances of Pearl's lacquer finish cracking; it is very thick and hard, bordering brittle.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

3. Purple Crazed

I played again this past weekend with Ken. As always, it was fun.

I have been using:
    • Shure XL57's in the tom and floor tom: these are both aimed toward the resonant head
    • A Beta 52A and 91A mounted inside the kick: both mics are equal distance from the beater
    • An SM57 on outside of the snare: aimed at the top head about 3 inches in from the edge
    • Shure KSM141's on the hihat and cymbals: I am overmicing the left-side cymbals by aiming it at the top hihat where it still picks up the crash and undermicing the right-hand cymbals by placing it just past the edge of the ride and pointing it upwards to pick up the crash/ride cymbal above it. The KSM141 also sounded nice when I aimed it at the bell of the ride from underneath.

Besides the 12/14/18 Reference kit, I was using the Tama Bell Brass snare with a DrumTac on the top head. I recently started using Evans Black Chrome heads on the 12x8 and 14x14. Although I am not crazy about the color, there are no high pitched overtones that were present with EC2 Coated. I also used a Sabian HH Fusion Top Hat underneath an HHX Manhattan Jazz top Hat, along with an HHX 18" Manhattan Jazz Crash, 19" HHX Omni, and a 21" AA Dry Ride. It sounded nice together.

Pearl Purple Craze Reference Series
    14x5 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x11 | 16x13 | 20x16 | 22x18
    Pearl 14x5 Wine Red Maple and Copper Free Floating Snares
    Pearl 10x6.2 Mangini Signature Snare
    Tama Octobans

4. Away From The World

Sounds like much fun Andy, pics of the next gig would be good too!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Sounds like much fun Andy, pics of the next gig would be good too!
    +1