Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 506 of 539 FirstFirst ... 6406456496502503504505506507508509510516 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,072 of 6466
  1. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
    You spelled 18" wrong, Dylan
    Apparently, finding an 18” BSF MCX is harder than finding Pearl drums with satin HW.
    Way Too Much Crap

  2. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Apparently, finding an 18” BSF MCX is harder than finding Pearl drums with satin HW.
    When I had these drums (chrome hardware) I remember an 18" floor was an option, but they weren't floating all over the Internet. Also, I'm not sure they actually made any with black hardware. That could be fixed, if you found an 18 with chrome, but you know hardware aint cheap. It could get to the price point of just special-ordering one the way you want it.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  3. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    When I had these drums (chrome hardware) I remember an 18" floor was an option, but they weren't floating all over the Internet. Also, I'm not sure they actually made any with black hardware. That could be fixed, if you found an 18 with chrome, but you know hardware aint cheap. It could get to the price point of just special-ordering one the way you want it.
    I checked out DFD yesterday and yeah- refinishing a snare or FT with black HW would be prohibitively expensive.
    Way Too Much Crap

  4. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    I checked out DFD yesterday and yeah- refinishing a snare or FT with black HW would be prohibitively expensive.
    I just did a quick scan of eBay, Reverb, and Google Images... the only 18" floors I found with black hardware were Vision and Export (hardware is not compatible), a MMX in diamond burst (one of the PDF'ers), and a Masterworks with custom paint... surprisingly sparse.

    Another option is to buy the legs, leg brackets, and air vent from DFD or DOS, and get hoops and lugs powder-coated. Just a friendly FYI... powder-coaters who hang their pieces will not be able to "coat and cook" diecast hoops. The cheap metal used to cast the hoops will not hold up to a 300-400F oven. I had some done, and when I picked them up, they were almost teardrop shaped... LOL! I tried to explain to the guy that the hoops were round, and he said "those rims were round? Huh! Wow!"
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  5. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Wow. Thanks for the tip Matt. I think I’ll wind up painting them.
    Way Too Much Crap

  6. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the tip Matt. I think I’ll wind up painting them.
    That might work well. One of the refinishing places near me offers plain painting, in addition to powder-coating. If they rough up the chrome well, or media-blast it off, the paint should stick well.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  7. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Are Pearl’s hoops and lugs powdercoated or painted?
    Way Too Much Crap

  8. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Quick question: I have a DW3000 HH stand that came with my Roland TD-9 kit. I got in my head to remove the legs and use it on my kit to keep the pedal closer to the left kick pedal. In looking at it, it appears that there are hex or Torx screws holding the collars on the main post but my vision isn’t what it was. Can anyone verify if they are actually those or rivets?
    Way Too Much Crap

  9. Playing since 1976

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    Are Pearl’s hoops and lugs powdercoated or painted?
    I never got a clear answer from Pearl as to how their black coating is applied. This is what I know for sure... it is NOT powder-coating. It is not plain paint. It is applied as a liquid, and if it is heat-treated, the diecast hoops are treated while laying flat. That's the most I could ever get out of Al and Gene.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE


  10. Drumming Since 1943

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I never got a clear answer from Pearl as to how their black coating is applied. This is what I know for sure... it is NOT powder-coating. It is not plain paint. It is applied as a liquid, and if it is heat-treated, the diecast hoops are treated while laying flat. That's the most I could ever get out of Al and Gene.
    Interesting. Keeping the black as close to the vest as the ever-elusive Satin process.
    Way Too Much Crap

  11. Registered User

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Last Drum related purchase is a Sonor Protean 14 x 5.25" snare drum. I have been interested in one for awhile now and was fortunate to find a used model in mint condition for less than half the price of a new model. It is a superb snare drum, very fat sounding and very sensitive. it has a huge tuning range.

  12. Rockin' the Cosmos..

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sirius-2DS
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Last Drum related purchase is a Sonor Protean 14 x 5.25" snare drum. I have been interested in one for awhile now and was fortunate to find a used model in mint condition for less than half the price of a new model. It is a superb snare drum, very fat sounding and very sensitive. it has a huge tuning range.
    got a pic?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •