Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 431 of 434 FirstFirst ... 331381421427428429430431432433434 LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,172 of 5198
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    CDs, in general, have really lost popularity, but I find that, even with my compromised hearing from playing drums for so many years, I hear the music so much better. I can't listen to the streaming services or satellite radio; it sounds like the tunes have been run through some bad effects processor.
    Exactly..agree 100%. Please leave my CD's alone. I KNOW they sound better.
    Pearl Masters Maple Complete Vermillion Sparkle
    22X18 8X8 10X9 12X9 16X16
    PAISTE Signatures / Aquarian heads / ProMark sticks

2. It's all about me...

Quote Originally Posted by Track12 View Post
    Can’t go wrong with A Customs.
    Nope....have 14,16,18,20 now....

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

3. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I am a die hard CD collector. I believe if I want to own it, and it is available in physical medium, I will buy it that way. I may rip all my CDs for convenience in the car and devices, but at home I listen to the CDs. I also think they sound better, I know a lot of people claim you can’t hear the difference but I can.
    I am just finishing a major project, ripping all of my CDs to 320 Kbps MP3... which is the highest MP3 quality you can achieve... 8000 songs. It all fits on a 128 GB flash drive that I put in my car. I can't hear the difference between CDs and 320 Kbps MP3, but that's just me. The lower quality MP3 files are easy for me to pick out. The VBR (variable bit rate) MP3s are also on my [email protected]#$ list. I wish I never downloaded any of those... they're all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkick View Post
    Exactly..agree 100%. Please leave my CD's alone. I KNOW they sound better.
    Chirp Chirp!
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDdrummer View Post
    I am a die hard CD collector. I believe if I want to own it, and it is available in physical medium, I will buy it that way. I may rip all my CDs for convenience in the car and devices, but at home I listen to the CDs. I also think they sound better, I know a lot of people claim you can’t hear the difference but I can.
    I can relate ...

I've been collecting CDs since the early 1980s (when they first came out) and now have almost 5,000 in my collection. I downloaded them all to my iTunes on a hard drive (which took almost 10 years). I have some of the first CDs that were ever released.

I purchased almost all of my CDs brand new, so there are only a handful of them that are not in perfect condition. When I buy a new one, I download it to the computer, and reseal it with shrink wrap. All of the useless "digipak" versions in my collection have been converted to regular plastic jewel cases with inserts.

I've also digitally remastered a couple hundred LPs that have never been released on CD and converted the LP packaging to jewel case inserts and printed "silver" CDRs. If there's a rare CD or vinyl LP that I'm looking for, I'll find it and buy it.

MM
    Last edited by MusicMan; 03-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    2018 Masterworks / ES Comet Sparkle

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 10x12 TT, 8x10 TT, 5x13 SD

2017 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / ES Comet Sparkle

16x16 KD (verticle), 4x10 SD, 6x8 TT, 5x12 TT

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgit View Post
    I'm one of the few people that believe there are differences in digital audio sources, its just a question of looking into technically how a digital source is processed and formed into music. Even digital cables can make a difference. Sure, digital music is all just 1s and 0s, but its how those 1s and 0s transition - whether you get a perfectly formed square wave and to what extent the transition between 1s and 0s is perfectly timed.
    Unfortunately, the quality of CD audio varies greatly.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 03-13-2019 at 05:12 PM.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Unfortunately, the quality of CD audio varies greatly.
    Indeed it does, my hifi is pretty revealing and I can easily hear a marked difference in the quality of production between CDs. The Michael Jackson CDs are probably some of the best produced CDs in terms of quality.
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

7. Registered User

Indeed it does, my hifi is pretty revealing and I can easily hear a marked difference in the quality of production between CDs. The Michael Jackson CDs are probably some of the best produced CDs in terms of quality.
    The Alan Parsons CDs are very good too.

8. Playing since 1976

My first CD I owned was Michael Jackson's Bad. It was given to me when I bought a pair of Mirage speakers, back in the late 80's. I wanted the CD just for the high-fidelity sound. I grew to like the tunes as well.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

9. It's all about me...

Stepping away from the Fusion 10's...

Name:  nd44.png
Views: 103
Size:  182.1 KB

Kit Pix
    Pearl Drums | Pearl Hardware | Aquarian Heads | Zildjian Cymbals | Vater Sticks | Yamaha Electronics

10. Registered User

So Iím in my favorite drum shop today and they had an orphan Tama Star walnut floor tom in the stunning Japanese sen indigo finish. For a second, I thought that I may get a great deal on an add-on for my kit. Didnít take long , however, to realize the drum was 16Ē, the same diameter as mine. The staff explained that the drum was a demo/used, and had an imperfection, so theyíd give me a great deal on it. I donít need essentially an identical drum, but I inquired about the price. It was so low that Iím suddenly making plans to use two 16Ē floors in a kit with different tunings. First though, I need to investigate the imperfection.

I notice a crack inside the shell next to one of the lug screws. Coincidentally it was exactly like the damaged drum I returned to Tama after I took delivery of my new Star walnut kit some months ago. That kit was a demo, but sold as new. I then noticed that the drum didnít have the Star floor tom legs, but sported legs from a lower level Tama line, just like the drum I returned!!!

I explained to the store staff that I was buying back the drum that came with my kit that I had purchased from another shop. What are the odds? I should add that the shop was completely straightforward that this drum had a flaw and that it was a used demo. Tama and the shop that sold me the kit, game me terrific customer service in replacing the flawed drum, which I now have again. They couldnít have been better in ensuring that the customer was happy. Iíll end up tuning one drum low and the other high. Look forward to exploring possibilities.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by steadypocket; 03-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented 12, 16, 22, 7x14
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst 10, 12, 16, 22, 6.5x14
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic) 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, 5x14
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) 13, 16, 24, 6.5x14
    Sonor Pro Lite 13, 16, 22

11. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    So I’m in my favorite drum shop today and they had an orphan Tama Star walnut floor tom in the stunning Japanese sen indigo finish. For a second, I thought that I may get a great deal on an add-on for my kit. Didn’t take long , however, to realize the drum was 16”, the same diameter as mine. The staff explained that the drum was a demo/used, and had an imperfection, so they’d give me a great deal on it. I don’t need essentially an identical drum, but I inquired about the price. It was so low that I’m suddenly making plans to use two 16” floors in a kit with different tunings. First though, I need to investigate the imperfection.

I notice a crack inside the shell next to one of the lug screws. Coincidentally it was exactly like the damaged drum I returned to Tama after I took delivery of my new Star walnut kit some months ago. That kit was a demo, but sold as new. I then noticed that the drum didn’t have the Star floor tom legs, but sported legs from a lower level Tama line, just like the drum I returned!!!

I explained to the store staff that I was buying back the drum that came with my kit that I had purchased from another shop. What are the odds? I should add that the shop was completely straightforward that this drum had a flaw and that it was a used demo. Tama and the shop that sold me the kit, game me terrific customer service in replacing the flawed drum, which I now have again. They couldn’t have been better in ensuring that the customer was happy. I’ll end up tuning one drum low and the other high. Look forward to exploring possibilities.
    That is a gorgeous finish. I ordered a snare with the plain Japaese Sen finish (without the blue or red burst... but it won't be here for months. Since you're keeping this drum, I'd remove that screw, take some wood glue with a drop or two of water to thin it a bit, and carefully apply it under that crack, clamp it, then see how it looks afterwards.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    So Iím in my favorite drum shop today and they had an orphan Tama Star walnut floor tom in the stunning Japanese sen indigo finish.
    Beautiful finish