Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 647 of 652 FirstFirst ... 147547597637643644645646647648649650651 ... LastLast
Results 7,753 to 7,764 of 7819
  1. FKA Tasty808

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    VF 5Bís but in black. Weird but they feel different and in a good way.

Wtf? I know this was months ago, but how did this not get any attention?

2. PDF Renaissance man!

Nothing exciting but some much needed stock ups!

6 pairs of VF SSG2 Natural finish Gadd sticks (only 4 in the photo but there are 2 more!)

And a pair of the Tama Classic stands to complete the set (since I have the pedal, HH Stand and snare stand already), and the final step in the quest to reduce hardware weight as much as possible! Also have a pair of the Tama QC8 cymbal toppers on the way for them too (to save a few seconds on setup and packdown!).

Name:  IMG_2982.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  109.0 KB
    More drums than you can shake a stick at...
    https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

3. Drumming Since 1943

Can someone explain Gadd to me? For the life of me I’ve never understood the fawning adoration. Am I missing something? It’s possible.
    Way Too Much Crap

4. PDF Renaissance man!

Can someone explain Gadd to me? For the life of me I’ve never understood the fawning adoration. Am I missing something? It’s possible.
    Well for one, I just like the balance and feel of those sticks

But the thing with Gadd is his absolute taste and musicality. He can play as little as possible and still make a song groove like crazy, or go the other way and play something new that no one else has done before (See 50 ways to leave your lover for a prime example). For me he's just one of those players who doesn't just spill chops over anything and everything, he knows how to treat a song to let the song shine, which is why he's been so busy for so long. A very no-nonsense approach. But when the artist wants something special or busy, he can deliver that too (The solos on Steely Dan's Aja - and the light and shade he put into them). The best way I can describe a lot of what he does is 'Tasteful Minimalism' taking away what doesn't need to be there to leave space and let other musicians breathe.

Check this out for a classic Gadd approach, keeping it simple but hitting the figures, not to mention getting the sound just right, and with a ton of power and intent with the shout chorus towards the end, but then bringing it immediately back to just 1/4 note ride cymbal. Those musical decisions are what make Gadd as legendary as he is.

More drums than you can shake a stick at...
    https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

5. Registered User

JY, listen to Steely Dan Aja. Don't quote me on this, but, I heard he recorded it in one take! IMOP, it was a brilliant masterpiece with incredible dynamics, technique, taste and impeccable feel!

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RushDrums24 View Post
    Well for one, I just like the balance and feel of those sticks

But the thing with Gadd is his absolute taste and musicality. He can play as little as possible and still make a song groove like crazy, or go the other way and play something new that no one else has done before (See 50 ways to leave your lover for a prime example). For me he's just one of those players who doesn't just spill chops over anything and everything, he knows how to treat a song to let the song shine, which is why he's been so busy for so long. A very no-nonsense approach. But when the artist wants something special or busy, he can deliver that too (The solos on Steely Dan's Aja - and the light and shade he put into them). The best way I can describe a lot of what he does is 'Tasteful Minimalism' taking away what doesn't need to be there to leave space and let other musicians breathe.

Check this out for a classic Gadd approach, keeping it simple but hitting the figures, not to mention getting the sound just right, and with a ton of power and intent with the shout chorus towards the end, but then bringing it immediately back to just 1/4 note ride cymbal. Those musical decisions are what make Gadd as legendary as he is.

Well said Charlie! Couldn't agree with you more! There was also another song that Steve played on with Chuck Mangione called the 11th Commandment. Steve used for this song for a recital while attending the Eastman School of music. After he graduated, he went to the US Army and performed in the band!

7. FKA Tasty808

Okay. This is my new favorite drum. Finally arrived this morning so I got it all dressed up in chrome tonight when I got home from work. I believe this is a very early prototype unless it was made for an artist. Either way, I’m glad its finally home!

Name:  5702DE1C-392B-4385-BA49-E3F9C240F781.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  CC317E6E-B3AF-4709-BFB9-0403E329D9DE.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  42B7EED3-3391-4882-97B2-61D37DAF11A1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  95.6 KB

8. Playing since 1976

Why do you say you think it's a prototype? Because it doesn't have the SR1000 strainer? I've seen these with the SR-017; I think it's just an early model.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    Reverb Listings ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay Auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE

9. FKA Tasty808

Look closer, Mr. Flacche!

10. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Conover View Post
    Look closer, Mr. Flacche!
    LOL... I see now... it's only an 8-lug drum! Ha! That's funny. I'm so used to seeing 8-lug snare drums, it didn't even catch my eye. That probably adds a fatness to the Ultracast that you just won't hear on the standard 10-lug design. All of my Star Reserve Hammered snare drums have 8-lugs, and they are amongst the best-sounding snares I've ever played. Nice find.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE

11. Drumming Since 1943

I’m not getting the lug thing.
    Way Too Much Crap

12. Playing since 1976

I’m not getting the lug thing.
    Some drum makers such as Dunnett, Oriollo, Tama, and the person who drilled Josh's Ultracast shell, favor the 8-lug pattern on a 14" snare drum because the sound is a little more open and a little less restricted. There is more space between each lug, and the hoop holds on to the head a little less securely. Many drummers refer to the sound difference as fatter. The sound is just a little less controlled than a 10-lug snare drum. Oriollo (Vukan) says he likes 8-lugs over 10-lugs because it's 20% less lug-related hardware and weight on the shell, which less the shell resonate more freely. That's a reason I like fewer snare wires; I like to hear a little more of the snare drum shell, and less of the $20 set of wires attached to it.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE