Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 483 of 494 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493 ... LastLast
Results 5,785 to 5,796 of 5927
  1. Drummer since 1963

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    What made you move on from the SPX?

Iím about to list my kit. Looking for something new myself.
    Probably the same thing motivating you to sell yours, at least in part. I've got 5 years in on this kit. Half a decade, that's plenty.
    For me age is also a factor. What am I waiting for, death? I'll be too dead to play 'em then!
    I love the cherry sunburst but the drums upstage everything. I've seen dark photos and video and they're still screaming visually. I feel they're a little too showy for the blues gigs I play
    I took them to Muscle Shoals over the weekend. The 12" & 16" toms sounded huge and round and I'm thinking, "Did I do the right thing"?

2. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gerber View Post
    Probably the same thing motivating you to sell yours, at least in part. I've got 5 years in on this kit. Half a decade, that's plenty.
    For me age is also a factor. What am I waiting for, death? I'll be too dead to play 'em then!
    I love the cherry sunburst but the drums upstage everything. I've seen dark photos and video and they're still screaming visually. I feel they're a little too showy for the blues gigs I play
    I took them to Muscle Shoals over the weekend. The 12" & 16" toms sounded huge and round and I'm thinking, "Did I do the right thing"?
    Lol. Yeah, I sat with my floor toms for over an hour yesterday. Removed the hoops and heads and checked the bearing edges. Took my sweet time tuning each head and FINALLY got something resembling a pleasing tone out of them. They still sound too... jungle-tom-like to my ear. That make any sense?

I just think it’s time to go back to maple.
    Way Too Much Crap

3. J-Con

I just picked up a 13" brass Sensitone. I've been looking for one of these for years now. It's in pretty rough shape so I'm going to sand it to a raw finish. I also ordered a bunch of SS tension rods from a guy online, new Mastercast hoops, and a new Sensitone steel snare from Cascio. The steel snare will be donating it's tube lugs and updated throw off to the 13" project.

I've always wanted a brass snare with a red drum set!

I'm looking forward to the end of the holiday season so I can invest some time into my new dream kit here. I finally have the sizes and sound that I've been searching for. Next time I get a day off to myself, I'm going to change the heads on my drums.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Playing since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    I just picked up a 13" brass Sensitone. I've been looking for one of these for years now. It's in pretty rough shape so I'm going to sand it to a raw finish. I also ordered a bunch of SS tension rods from a guy online, new Mastercast hoops, and a new Sensitone steel snare from Cascio. The steel snare will be donating it's tube lugs and updated throw off to the 13" project.

I've always wanted a brass snare with a red drum set!

I'm looking forward to the end of the holiday season so I can invest some time into my new dream kit here. I finally have the sizes and sound that I've been searching for. Next time I get a day off to myself, I'm going to change the heads on my drums.
    I know the guy you got the SS tension rods from, Jim... he's a good guy. Are you going to remove the badge from the Sensitone before you mess with the shell? I would suggest removing the badge (by grinding off the back of the vent grommet, then peeling the badge off with fishing line), then taking the shell to someone local who has a media blaster. They could blast that shell in about 20 seconds... then you could do anything you want with it. Once you get the badge off, there are probably other interesting ways to remove the clear coat and tarnish.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

5. Drummer since 1963

I picked up this 1998 B stock COB Supraphonic on FB Marketplace a couple of weeks ago for 200 bucks. Didn't find out it was COB until I literally picked it up. Great score! I upgraded the throw off to a P-88 and used the P-85 to replace the one on my 5" Acro.

6. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I know the guy you got the SS tension rods from, Jim... he's a good guy. Are you going to remove the badge from the Sensitone before you mess with the shell? I would suggest removing the badge (by grinding off the back of the vent grommet, then peeling the badge off with fishing line), then taking the shell to someone local who has a media blaster. They could blast that shell in about 20 seconds... then you could do anything you want with it. Once you get the badge off, there are probably other interesting ways to remove the clear coat and tarnish.
    Definitely taking the badge off. I've seen people try and work around it and it never looks good. I have the badge removed from a brass piccolo that I sanded a few years back but never got around to reassembling it.

As far as having someone else sand blast it... I've never had it done and don't know where I'd even look to find someone that could help me. I've also always been worried about the shell integrity. I had a friend take and old Supraphonic shell to a grinder and then a buffing wheel but made sure he knew to keep it from over heating and bending.... Is it possible to have the shell sand blasted and keep the pearl sticker on the inside?

7. Drumming Since 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Tasty808 View Post
    Definitely taking the badge off. I've seen people try and work around it and it never looks good. I have the badge removed from a brass piccolo that I sanded a few years back but never got around to reassembling it.

As far as having someone else sand blast it... I've never had it done and don't know where I'd even look to find someone that could help me. I've also always been worried about the shell integrity. I had a friend take and old Supraphonic shell to a grinder and then a buffing wheel but made sure he knew to keep it from over heating and bending.... Is it possible to have the shell sand blasted and keep the pearl sticker on the inside?
    No.
    Way Too Much Crap

8. J-Con

Quote Originally Posted by JY Kelly View Post
    No.
    I didn't think so. Nbd. A little elbow grease will do.

9. Registered User

Finally mine...THEEEEE SNARE
    Name:  my 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  My 4.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  75.0 KB

10. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

How old is that?

11. Registered User

Got to play my new UV1s over clear G1s in anger last weekend, really nice open and warm sound. Had a bit of trouble tuning the 14". The 16" and especially the 18" are thunderous!

Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    How old is that?
    a late seventies Chrome Over Brass snare. Stewart Copeland, although his TAMA endorsement, says he used one of these with a die cast hoop on batter side on the first 5 Police Albums...
    Name:  cNuOnHx.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191101-114610_Chrome.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191101-130218_Facebook.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  75.5 KB