Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 49 to 60 of 60

Thread: DAW Plugins

  1. Is this Illidan?

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Big sale today on Waves stuff. Some really great plugins for cheap:

    http://www.waves.com/specials?utm_so...ging:number=20

    The L2 Ultramaximizer is great, API 550, API 2500 (my favourite comp), Renaissance Reverb, and more!

  2. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    Soundtoys is offering their new Sie-Q for free through October 13th! It's modeled after the Siemens W295b console EQ.

    https://www.soundtoys.com/product/sie-q/

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
    Big sale today on Waves stuff. Some really great plugins for cheap:

    http://www.waves.com/specials?utm_so...ging:number=20

    The L2 Ultramaximizer is great, API 550, API 2500 (my favourite comp), Renaissance Reverb, and more!
    I just got me L2. I was very happy to replace the ancient L1 with better plugins like the UAD Precision Limiter or bx_limiter for 2-bus duties, but L2 is still worth having, for a cheap price like that!

  4. Experienced Noob

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Between Two Legs
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    I'm just curious - how do you intend to use the L2? I think I will pick up the L3-16 when it goes cheap enough but I'm not sure how the L2 would be all that useful. I'm just wanting to pick your brain on how you'll use the L2.

    I did take advantage of this sale. I got the API 2500, Scheps 73, CLA-3A (best price of the sale, I think), and CLA-76. The only Waves plugins I still want are Renaissance Bass and L3-16. I'm sort of on the fence about Renaissance Bass, though. I have Maxx Bass and am not sure how different they are. Does anyone have an opinion on Renaissance Bass & whether it's worth having if you already have Maxx Bass?
    Last edited by Mike Foreman; 10-02-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Brain Fart

  5. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I'm just curious - how do you intend to use the L2? I think I will pick up the L3-16 when it goes cheap enough but I'm not sure how the L2 would be all that useful. I'm just wanting to pick your brain on how you'll use the L2.
    I intend to use it primarily on my master bus channel for bouncing mixes to clients. 98% of my serious work gets sent to a proper mastering engineer who uses all analong mastering gear , so I usually don't have a lot going on, if anything at all on my master bus when I send him premasters, but I always send my clients mixes at mastered levels, because they're inevitably going to compare them to songs on their iTunes, on the radio etc... which are already 'at level'. To achieve that I typically run something like this on my master bus channel: Pultec EQP-1A (color EQ), Massey Massive Passive (surgical EQ), SSL G-Bus Compressor (glue), Massey L2007 Limiter (for level), UAD Precision Limiter (more level and brickwall cieling), Dither (for conversion down to 16bits). The L2 is nice because it has dither built in (a pretty nice one too), and I think it sounds pretty good, certainly a lot better than L1. I'm never taking off more than a 1db, 1.5 the most with it though; maybe 1-2db with the Massey. When you push a limiter really hard things get ugly really fast (distortion, pumping, distortion, loss of punch, distortion, etc...)

    As for the L3, to put it politely - I'm not a fan. So many guys will just slam the L3 on a mix and crank it, because they're lazy and yes it will make it sound uber loud, but it will also sound like garbage. Even at light settings, I feel like the L3 is too heavy-handed and I don't like what it does to a mix. I look for transparency in a limiter, and the L3 is anything but that. YMMV.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I did take advantage of this sale. I got the API 2500, Scheps 73, CLA-3A (best price of the sale, I think), and CLA-76. The only Waves plugins I still want are Renaissance Bass and L3-16. I'm sort of on the fence about Renaissance Bass, though. I have Maxx Bass and am not sure how different they are. Does anyone have an opinion on Renaissance Bass & whether it's worth having if you already have Maxx Bass?
    Very nice! I own the API and the Scheps. I love the API on drum bus. The Scheps rules, especially with it's ability to function in Mid-Side. And the drive mode is superb!

    Maxx Bass is a low harmonic enhancer. Renaissance Bass is most likely the same plugin, but streamlined for easy use on bass guitar. I would probably pass on Ren Bass if you already have Maxx Bass. That's pretty typical of Waves... they recycle a lot of their tech, particularly when it comes to the niche stuff like all the signature plugins.

  6. Drumoholic

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I'm sort of on the fence about Renaissance Bass, though. I have Maxx Bass and am not sure how different they are. Does anyone have an opinion on Renaissance Bass & whether it's worth having if you already have Maxx Bass?
    I have both, and TMF is pretty much right on the money: Ren Bass is basically just a streamlined version of MaxxBass. MaxxBass has more features, and I use it way more than RenBass, especially on kick tracks where only 1 mic was used.
    Church Drummers Army
    Pearl Reference in Scarlet Fade
    Tama Superstar in White Satin Haze
    Pearl - Tama - Zildjian - Vater

  7. Experienced Noob

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Between Two Legs
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
    I intend to use it primarily on my master bus channel for bouncing mixes to clients. 98% of my serious work gets sent to a proper mastering engineer who uses all analong mastering gear , so I usually don't have a lot going on, if anything at all on my master bus when I send him premasters, but I always send my clients mixes at mastered levels, because they're inevitably going to compare them to songs on their iTunes, on the radio etc... which are already 'at level'. To achieve that I typically run something like this on my master bus channel: Pultec EQP-1A (color EQ), Massey Massive Passive (surgical EQ), SSL G-Bus Compressor (glue), Massey L2007 Limiter (for level), UAD Precision Limiter (more level and brickwall cieling), Dither (for conversion down to 16bits). The L2 is nice because it has dither built in (a pretty nice one too), and I think it sounds pretty good, certainly a lot better than L1. I'm never taking off more than a 1db, 1.5 the most with it though; maybe 1-2db with the Massey. When you push a limiter really hard things get ugly really fast (distortion, pumping, distortion, loss of punch, distortion, etc...)

    As for the L3, to put it politely - I'm not a fan. So many guys will just slam the L3 on a mix and crank it, because they're lazy and yes it will make it sound uber loud, but it will also sound like garbage. Even at light settings, I feel like the L3 is too heavy-handed and I don't like what it does to a mix. I look for transparency in a limiter, and the L3 is anything but that. YMMV.


    Very nice! I own the API and the Scheps. I love the API on drum bus. The Scheps rules, especially with it's ability to function in Mid-Side. And the drive mode is superb!

    Maxx Bass is a low harmonic enhancer. Renaissance Bass is most likely the same plugin, but streamlined for easy use on bass guitar. I would probably pass on Ren Bass if you already have Maxx Bass. That's pretty typical of Waves... they recycle a lot of their tech, particularly when it comes to the niche stuff like all the signature plugins.
    I ws thinking the L3-16 might be useful for those times just one thing (such as a loud snare) causes the limiter to hit everything too hard. I see it is in the October sale now for $149 but that's still way too much for me to pay for something that I don't know I'd ever even use.Lately I've been using the maximizer in Ozone 7 but aside from liking how it sounds, I don't realy like using it. I might go back to Pro-L because I really like how I can see what has happened with the RMS easily. I pre-ordered Boz Digital Lab's "The Wall" limiter because I believe in the work he does & assume it will sound great. Still, I don't know if it will end up taking the place of Pro-L or Ozone's maximizer because they sound how I'd want them to sound & I like the visuals in Pro-L.

    I went on an EQ kick there for a while. I find myself using Waves API 560, Renaissance EQ, and Pro-Q2 (for my surgical stuff) the most. I am really impressed with Boz Digital Lab's Hoser XT EQ, though. It just sound really good whenever I use it. Waves Puig Tech is like that as well, for me. It's somewhere in my template, I just don't remember where. With the Waves 560, I'd almost be inclined to put it on a track but not make any EQ adjustments. I think the character it adds is more important than the EQing it does.

    What you said about RBass/Maxx Bass was kind of what I figured. I'm happy with what Maxx Bass is doing for me (it's on my kick, toms, & bass guitar tracks) so that'll probably be reason for me to not get RBass. I got Maxx Bass on sale for $39 or $49 with Lo Air thrown in for free a cople of months ago. That was a good deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlreference7101 View Post
    I have both, and TMF is pretty much right on the money: Ren Bass is basically just a streamlined version of MaxxBass. MaxxBass has more features, and I use it way more than RenBass, especially on kick tracks where only 1 mic was used.
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with what I have. It sounds like I bought the right one.

  8. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    I ws thinking the L3-16 might be useful for those times just one thing (such as a loud snare) causes the limiter to hit everything too hard. I see it is in the October sale now for $149 but that's still way too much for me to pay for something that I don't know I'd ever even use.Lately I've been using the maximizer in Ozone 7 but aside from liking how it sounds, I don't realy like using it. I might go back to Pro-L because I really like how I can see what has happened with the RMS easily. I pre-ordered Boz Digital Lab's "The Wall" limiter because I believe in the work he does & assume it will sound great. Still, I don't know if it will end up taking the place of Pro-L or Ozone's maximizer because they sound how I'd want them to sound & I like the visuals in Pro-L.
    The L3 is way overkill to use on a snare track. The L1 actually excells at that, and the Pro-L would also be a great candidate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    What you said about RBass/Maxx Bass was kind of what I figured. I'm happy with what Maxx Bass is doing for me (it's on my kick, toms, & bass guitar tracks) so that'll probably be reason for me to not get RBass. I got Maxx Bass on sale for $39 or $49 with Lo Air thrown in for free a cople of months ago. That was a good deal.
    Nice! I'd like to pick up Lo Air at some point. Neat plugin!

  9. Experienced Noob

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Between Two Legs
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    I mentioned in an earlier post that I had done the pre-order thing for Boz Digital Labs' "The Wall" limiter. If you pre-ordered, you can download the almost complete version of it (I think it's mostly missing its final graphics). I downloaded it and used it on a non-limited mix I had sitting around, to see how it works. My biggest concern was that I didn't think it showed you what was happening with the RMS level but it turns out I am wrong. It does a thing very similar to Pro-L in that it shades the area below the RMS level in the display window. So, it does what Pro-L does but even more pronounced since it includes the shaded area (not just the RMS line that Pro-L shows). One thing that surprised me is that it does not show the numbers for gain reduction. You see in red how much gain reduction is happening but you do not know exactly how much it is. I'm thinking that is a way of getting people to mix with their ears instead of their eyes but I don't like that. I'm still learning & seeing those numbers helps me more fully understand what is happening.

    It's sanity check feature is really ingenious. What that does is matches the output level for the limited music to the output level of the un-limited source so you can bypass/turn on the limiter & hear at comparable levels how the limiter is impacting your mix. Maybe that's been done before in another limiter but I've never seen that before & think it's the coolest thing about this limiter.

    The limiter has two unique modes & I will attest that they sound very different. The modes are "smooth" & aggressive" and for the mix I was using "aggressive" was the clear winner. For both modes you can adjust the "Flavor", which I would describe as fine tuning the aggressiveness. I found some Facebook Q&A posts in which Boz described the styles & flavor features better than I could:

    So... Left side of 'Flavor' Slider means 'Fast attack'-ish, and Right side of 'Flavor' means 'Slow attack'-ish?..

    Boz Digital Labs: ish, kind of, but not really. There are all sorts of things going on under the hood (5 different limiters, distortion, multiband limiting, etc) and the flavor knob adjusts the settings and relationship of all these.

    What about 'agressive' and 'smooth' button?
    It is about how much initial transient pass before compressed?
    Or something else?

    Boz Digital Labs: They are basically two completely different limiters. Different signal path altogether. The aggressive one tends to be more transparent with percussion, and just works more transparently most of the time on sources that are percussion driven.


    The question, to me, is really: Would I suggest someone buy it?

    I'd say it depends. For the $29 I paid for it, it's a no brainer. It may just become the limiter I use in the future. For its regular price of $99, it would depend. If you are already happy with results from another limiter you have, then I wouldn't suggest it. If you don't already have Pro-L or some limiter you are very comfortable with, then it's worth looking at. The Sanity Check feature is just great & it is simple to dial in the sound you want, given the minimal options provided.

    Hopefully they will one day add in a display of the numbers, especially the gain reduction. I really do not like that not being there.

  10. Experienced Noob

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Between Two Legs
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    As a follow up on my last post Boz Digital Labs' new limiter, The Wall, has now been released & through October 29 you can purchase it for $39. There is a free demo so you can try before you buy, as well. I'd be interested to hear what others think of it.

    http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/the-wall/

  11. Experienced Noob

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Between Two Legs
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    You all may have already seen this & checked it out, but Drum Forge just released a drum-specific EQ plugin called DH-Q. I watched some videos on it, then took the plunge. It addresses things differently than a normal EQ in that it provides 3 types of controls (not bands) called "Punch", "Clarity", and "Attack". Each of those is controlled individually & has quite a wide range. You select which type of track you are putting it on (kick, snare, rack tom, floor tom, overheads, room), and are given 3 different presets for the 3 categories (punch, clarity, attack) to select and work from.

    I have been using Waves SSL channel strip for most of my drum EQ & I feel I have gotten better results (by far, really) for my kick & toms with this. I got a different sound with the snare, but I'm not sure it's any better - just different. I haven't had time to mess with the overheads or rooms yet so I couldn't say how they sound.

    Since this is just released, it's on sale for $49 (regularly $69). I think it is worth looking at at that price. I'm glad I bought it.

    I realize my description above may be confusing. Check out the videos for this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=df-q

    I may not like the music that Joey Sturgis, Eyal Levi, & Joel Wanasek tend to produce, but their Drum Forge plugins are legit. They just work, and with no fuss/muss. This is no exception.

  12. Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    24,184

    Default

    Soundtoys is giving away their newest plugin Little Plate for free! It's modeled after the EMT 140 plate reverb. As someone who paid good money for the UAD EMT 140 plugin, I'm slightly peeved but also stoked to report that I think the Little Plate really gives it a run for its money! I expect that they will in time release a full version with more features, but you can do a LOT with this "little" version, like all of the other Soundtoys Little plugins. Enjoy!

    www.soundtoys.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •