Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Session Series

1. Registered User

Default Session Series

Does anyone here know what wood is used in the Session Series? That's all it says on the Badge on the drums...It's Piano Black Laquer with 10 lugs on the 22 inch bass drum toms are 12,13,16

2. Pearl does it for me

Welcome to the PDF

The original Session series ran from 1992 to 2004 and had different shell constructions/material.

If you could put up a pic of the badge, that would help a lot...

3. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer View Post
    Does anyone here know what wood is used in the Session Series? That's all it says on the Badge on the drums
    I'm gonna assume your drums have this badge below in picture I've included .. if you have these badges then your shells are 7 ply - 7.5mm Birch and Phillipine Mahogany .. lacquer finish would be #103 Piano Black

4. Registered User

Yes, the picture at the top with the Session Series badge is right....but I made a mistake, the drums are not lacquer, they have a wrap in black from the factory. I guess they are still made of the same material 7 ply Birch and Philippine Mahogany?

5. #38 Stainless Steel

No. Those are 6-ply Phillippine mahogany, no birch (although they sure do look "birchy" inside). They are the 1993-1995 SX "Session Series".
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

6. Registered User

Thank you gyorpb.....that's what I thought...... I just bought a set for 250.00 dollars at the guitar center. I'm going to have the 12 and 13 toms cut an inch off each tom and bearing edges re-done by a local drum shop for 75.00...I hope they will sound good.
    Last edited by VegasDrummer; 07-15-2014 at 01:11 PM.

7. J-Con

Thank you gyorpb.....that's what I thought...... I just bought a set for 250.00 dollars at the guitar center. I'm going to have the 12 and 13 toms cut and inch and bearing edges re-done by a local drum shop for 75.00...I hope they will sound good.
    Sounds interesting.
    Be sure to post before and after pics!

8. Registered User

Tasty808 I will post a pic of the drums after they are refinished, and show how cheap I got everything done for.

9. #38 Stainless Steel

I'm going to have the 12 and 13 toms cut [...]
    Don't.
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post
    Don't.
    Why not?

11. This is just a tribute

Why not?
    I'd only re-do the bearing edges if they absolutely needed it. Pearl drums, at least from what I know of them, have been consistently good at having really consistent, well done bearing edges. You won't accomplish much by cutting them and having them re-edged other than to shorten your drums and to lose $75. That's just my opinion on it though.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

12. Registered User

They Will sound better and have a faster attack....and look way better......
    Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I'd only re-do the bearing edges if they absolutely needed it. Pearl drums, at least from what I know of them, have been consistently good at having really consistent, well done bearing edges. You won't accomplish much by cutting them and having them re-edged other than to shorten your drums and to lose $75. That's just my opinion on it though.