Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. I just hit things...

I didn't realize it was going to be stickied, but since it was, I edited the post to show the exact formula mixture, so everything is all in one source for you. I still think Paulie has some great information in his information out there for cleaning the exterior and interior of the shells, etc. But it really isn't relevant to this thread, so I'm leaving it out. Most people have their own methods for cleaning their drums, anyway. Google away for his additional information at your leisure.

The only thing I can say about the mixture, is that I treated it as gospel, and made sure that I was using equal parts of each substance. The only wildcard in the mix was determining how much of a "splash" to use of Mr. Clean. But as I mentioned, for the tub size I used to soak it all, I used about 1/3 of a normal size original blend Mr. Clean bottle I bought at Target - right next to the plain ammonia I also purchased at the same time. All the necessities were all easy to find, and I assume to be readily available just about anywhere.

Thanks to whoever made this a Sticky!
    Pearl MW/Ref Wine Red with Gold Hardware 18x22 (x2), 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, 8x10, 8x8, 7x6, 5.5x14 snare
    Masterworks: 14x5.5 snare, 6x7 rack tom Pictures post #1
    Reference: Pictures post#1,35,58,68,69
    Pics: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?u=92744
    WANTED: Gold Pearl Hardware. PM me.

2. Registered User

I've done a few loads of hardware now and this is the best, BY FAR, instruction that there is on cleaning gold hardware. I say that after doing everything wrong the last 11 years - D'OH!

I've done most of my MRX kit the way eric describes, with only an 8, 16 & snare left to do. even after the damage (fading) taht i've caused to my gold hardware b/c of mis-information, it looks great (although chromish) after doing this.
    Before:
    Name:  Gold Cleaning (1).jpg
Views: 422
Size:  89.5 KB

During:
    Name:  Gold Cleaning (2).jpg
Views: 417
Size:  63.6 KB

After (haven't put kit back together yet)
    Name:  Gold Cleaning (3).jpg
Views: 418
Size:  86.8 KB
    Jeff Wald Masterworks Artisan: Red Bubinga Burstwith Gold Hardware

3. Registered User

Hey Drummeric - I'll be doing this soon to a snare drum I bought. It has gold hardware and from the looks of it, it is going to need some love. I have a couple of questions - What kind of stores sell ammonia/what is ammoina? Sorry I'm quite clueless about this. Also, what is Mr Clean? I havent heard of it in New Zealand. Thanks in advance

4. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wald View Post
    Is that your finish sample?

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Is that your finish sample?
    Yep! I carries that thing around for 7 mos until the kit came in

6. I just hit things...

Quote Originally Posted by keaton_86 View Post
    Hey Drummeric - I'll be doing this soon to a snare drum I bought. It has gold hardware and from the looks of it, it is going to need some love. I have a couple of questions - What kind of stores sell ammonia/what is ammoina? Sorry I'm quite clueless about this. Also, what is Mr Clean? I havent heard of it in New Zealand. Thanks in advance
    Sorry, Keaton_86, I'm not on the PDF much anymore so I didn't see your question. Ammonia (as a liquid) and Mr. Clean are types of cleaners marketed here in the US - and I assumed all over the world. I can't speak intelligently about the liquid/gas makeup or characteristics of these products, other than to say they have a very strong smell that isn't pleasant to inhale (almost burns). Ammonia is often combined with bleach to clean floors, etc. Mr Clean offers a lemon scented version, and that's what I used.

I wish I had more info for you, but I'm sure there has to be a series of similar products available to you in New Zealand. And just to be safe, I'd mix up a small batch and just try a small item or two - like your lugs. That way, if it ruins them, you should be able to order replacements, and you haven't ruined the majority of the drum in the process. Remember, I don't guarantee this works. It worked for me and now a few others. But different thicknesses of 24k plating might react differently, and I have no idea what make/model your snare is, so stick closely to the instructions and try at your own risk.

Btw, I'm obviously a huge fan of gold hardware, and I'd love to see a picture of your snare. Maybe post before/after here in this thread if you haven't previously already gone through with your attempt (I see this was from last December). Good luck!
    Pearl MW/Ref Wine Red with Gold Hardware 18x22 (x2), 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, 8x10, 8x8, 7x6, 5.5x14 snare
    Masterworks: 14x5.5 snare, 6x7 rack tom Pictures post #1
    Reference: Pictures post#1,35,58,68,69
    Pics: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?u=92744
    WANTED: Gold Pearl Hardware. PM me.

7. Registered User

I've done a few loads of hardware now and this is the best, BY FAR, instruction that there is on cleaning gold hardware. I say that after doing everything wrong the last 11 years - D'OH!

I've done most of my MRX kit the way eric describes, with only an 8, 16 & snare left to do. even after the damage (fading) taht i've caused to my gold hardware b/c of mis-information, it looks great (although chromish) after doing this.
    Before:
    Name:  Gold Cleaning (1).jpg
Views: 422
Size:  89.5 KB

During:
    Name:  Gold Cleaning (2).jpg
Views: 417
Size:  63.6 KB

I"m in the same boat with my BRX. Its Vintage Sunburst with Gold hardware. I bought it new and it was my primary kit for years. Now my Ref Pure is the main and the BRX sits in cases most of the time. My hardware looks horrible. After scrubbing it for years with Brillanize (Pearl's recommended product), the gold tone has definately turned chrome/gold looking. I really wish I had known about a no scrub method from the beginning. I'm going to tear the kit apart and try this method and see if I get decent results.

8. Registered User

Yep, I used the heck out of brillianize but they didn't tell me to scrub the gold off of it like I did post pix when you get it done

9. Registered User

I decided to do some maintenance on mine today. Nothing wrong w the new MW, but there's smudges and spots from humidity, cool air... So I'm doing this to the hoops and optis, plus trying some G14s I got fr a friend. The cleaning (soaking) is turning out great
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Registered User

I decided to do some maintenance on mine today. Nothing wrong w the new MW, but there's smudges and spots from humidity, cool air... So I'm doing this to the hoops and optis, plus trying some G14s I got fr a friend. The cleaning (soaking) is turning out great

I did end up stripping my entire BRX down and using this method. I did it all in the bath tub. I'll tell you what, it works great! Although my hardware has lost some of the gold from scrubbing for 10 years, It turned out better than I ever expected and it was so easy, yes, time consuming stripping down and reassembling an entire kit, but I did not scrub a single thing. Threw it all in the tub, let it sit for 30 min. Rinsed it off and dried it then put it back together. I don't have any pics , but it looks as close to new as possible.

11. Registered User

That's awesome! Always good to hear success stories like this. Eric & Paulie are the men!

12. Marketing Manager of Integrated Media

I've used "The Paulie Method"' with my chrome hardware and it never fails to bring it back to life. No doubt it works as Todd's kits always look pristine and fresh as the day he got them.

In fact, I spoke with Paulie last night and told him that his formula continues to make people happy!