Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Very nice job on the gold! As for he brass, unless it is solid brass, nothing abrasive and go easy on the pressure. It may very well be plated. And by experience, plating is extremely thin and wears off quickly.
    I would send an email to that guy's site and just ask if that "bath" will work on brass too.
    Dan

2. Registered User

Fantastic thread Eric! And u are well aware of my fear about cleaning gold bc of my past experience.

I was thinking of looking up Paul's method again for when my new MW kit arrives in sept. although I shouldn't have to do anything for awhile.

I didn't see if u mentioned this, but what would you do for a spot cleaning, like if someone says "nice kit!" And starts rubbing their bare finger on the gold. (It's happened to me before I could ever stop them)

Looks great buddy!
    Jeff Wald Masterworks Artisan: Red Bubinga Burstwith Gold Hardware

3. Registered User

Thanks for the comprehensive thread and wow what a difference! Pretty amazing really.
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

4. Registered User

Also, did u fill the optimount bags w solution too or were u just keepin them separate w them?

5. Simple Boy

Quote Originally Posted by drummeric View Post
    With gold, "elbow grease" scares me. I much prefer a non-abrasive (and non touch) method if I can help it. Any hint of a scratch is visually amplified when dealing with gold hardware. And rubbing hard with any cloth will eventually produce some unwanted mark(s). Gold looks awesome in my opinion - and it's what I always wanted - but it does require almost unreasonable measures to keep it clean/new looking. I would never use a kit with gold hardware as a gigging workhorse - that's for sure. But I'm sure glad that I know this method really works, so every several years or so, I can have a new looking drum set.

As far as your other question about brass, I don't know thing one about brass in general. But I'm pretty sure I've seen brass polish on store shelves before. I'm guessing it's readily available almost anywhere cleaning supplies are sold if you were looking for it. Your suggestion of "elbow grease" might work just fine on brass, though. My mom always seemed to use some herself when dusting the brass items throughout the house when I was young. Never seemed to hurt it any. But I honestly don't know. Sorry.
    No need to apologise! Thanks for your advice!

I'm unsure if the brass hardware I have has any sort of lacquer so I wouldn't want to remove it with some kind of product. I basically have just been wiping down with a soft cloth and it seems to be okay but there has never been anything tough to get rid of. Like you, I try to prevent what I can, but a bit of sweat etc. Is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by dsokodrum View Post
    Very nice job on the gold! As for he brass, unless it is solid brass, nothing abrasive and go easy on the pressure. It may very well be plated. And by experience, plating is extremely thin and wears off quickly.
    I would send an email to that guy's site and just ask if that "bath" will work on brass too.
    It's on a Black Beauty Brass on Brass snare, and think it's only brass plated as I don't think they're heavy enough to be solid brass. Seems like regular, light maintenance is the best bet. Thank you!
    Last edited by DaleC; 06-29-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga - Sabian Cymbals - Ludwig Black Beauty BoB 14"x5" - Ludwig Black Beauty 14"x6.5" - Ludwig Supraphonic 402 - 1971 Ludwig Acrolite - Tama Starclassic Brass 14"x5.5" - Tama Starclassic G Maple 13"x6" - Mapex Black Panther Brass 13"x5.5" - Remo - Vic Firth

6. formerly TubCrusher

Eric, those came out great. Can you post a link or pm me a link so I can clean my hardware? My snare in my dirty little collection needs it badly….
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

7. I just hit things...

Quote Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
    Eric, those came out great. Can you post a link or pm me a link so I can clean my hardware? My snare in my dirty little collection needs it badly….
    PM sent.
    Pearl MW/Ref Wine Red with Gold Hardware 18x22 (x2), 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, 8x10, 8x8, 7x6, 5.5x14 snare
    Masterworks: 14x5.5 snare, 6x7 rack tom Pictures post #1
    Reference: Pictures post#1,35,58,68,69
    Pics: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?u=92744
    WANTED: Gold Pearl Hardware. PM me.

8. I just hit things...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wald View Post
    Fantastic thread Eric! And u are well aware of my fear about cleaning gold bc of my past experience.

I was thinking of looking up Paul's method again for when my new MW kit arrives in sept. although I shouldn't have to do anything for awhile.

I didn't see if u mentioned this, but what would you do for a spot cleaning, like if someone says "nice kit!" And starts rubbing their bare finger on the gold. (It's happened to me before I could ever stop them)

Looks great buddy!
    Well, you'll want to do something right away, because the gold will attract dust particles of whatever is around it. I always 'dry' cleaned it with a soft towel. Just a nice little non-abrasive wipe down every few days or every week or so. You've had gold for over 10 years now - so you know this already.

I don't really know what to do for spot washing. I suppose you could mix up a small portion of the concoction into a spray bottle and take your chances. But I really did find that it was the 15 minute soak in WARM/HOT water that made it all work - not when cold for some reason. And with a spot shot spray bottle, you won't be giving it the soaking it needs. So I really can't say for sure. If it were me, I'd probably try a hot mixture in a spray bottle, or maybe a hot towel soaked in it, but not actually dripping wet, and maybe let it sit in the spot for a few seconds before taking a dry microfiber towel to it to dry off.

Can't wait to see your new kit! I ordered more drums too around the same time, so hopefully they'll show up around the same time as well! I've been busy getting more parts, stands, holders, and stuff gold plated while I wait. Hoping to get it all done in time for the new arrival.
    Pearl MW/Ref Wine Red with Gold Hardware 18x22 (x2), 16x16, 14x14, 8x12, 8x10, 8x8, 7x6, 5.5x14 snare

9. I just hit things...

Thanks everybody. I hope it helps anyone interested in cleaning gold hardware. I'm no expert on the subject. I was just a frustrated gold hw owner that got fed up enough to try the only seemingly credible method out there. From a distance of only a couple feet away from the kit, your eyes would never have picked up on the film and marks I showed in my pictures. It appeared to be in perfect shape to anyone looking at it. But up close, and under good lighting, it drove me nuts. I tried this experiment as carefully as possible, and was literally afraid to put the first batch in to soak. That was a LONG 15 minutes, let me tell you. But these are the results, and it worked for me.

I suppose different thicknesses of gold plating might be affected differently. So I would never guarantee this method would always work for every gold plated item out there. Again - I'm no expert. But within reason, this should work for those interested enough to try.

I'm a huge lover of beautiful gold hardware on drums, so if anyone else tries this, please post pics! I'll be watching for them.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by drummeric View Post
    But up close, and under good lighting, it drove me nuts.
    Thats what finally drove me to order a whole new kit b/c replating everything that i already had was gonna be over $2000. But mine was actually damaged/partly worn off from MIS-information on how to clean gold. ugh

Thanx for your answers brother.

Did you mention the exact portions that you mixed up the amonia, mr clean & water?
    so any good car/microfiber cloth will do? didnt know if they're all the same...
    And those gloves! Mine are just a cloth pair of brown gloves (i forget what they're called)

Can't wait to see what all you ordered!

11. formerly TubCrusher

Thanx Eric and whoever sticky-ed the thread….
    Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

12. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
    Thanx Eric and whoever sticky-ed the thread….
    I second that!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18