Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Buying a used reference, anything to whatch out for?

Hey I'm going out this weekend to check out a kit I'm buying off kijiji. I was just wondering if anyone has advice for things to look for with the reference kits. I know they're great kits (that's why I'm buying one) but just wanted to cover all my bases and see if anyone knows any problems they have or can have?

2. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Make sure the shells aren't cracked and the bearing edges are good. Anything beyond that is easy to fix by getting new parts (lugs, tension rods, swivel nuts, etc.)
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

3. Away From The World

..and be aware they are heavier than your average kit. Not that it bothers me, but it does bother some.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Foreman View Post
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

4. Registered User

Earlier References had issues with an occasional cracked lug, though I never experienced any personally. Pearl eventually redesigned the lug.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

5. Registered User

Thanks for the tips I have a pic of the kit I'll put it up

6. Registered User

Name:  image-2577924700.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  354.3 KB

7. Away From The World

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Earlier References had issues with an occasional cracked lug, though I never experienced any personally. Pearl eventually redesigned the lug.
    Good point, seemingly experienced more on snares. I've just picked up an early model snare so I'm hoping for the best!

sully21 is that Copperfire Sparkle finish?

Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

8. Mmmmmmm Mmm, DRUMS

Looks like copperfire sparkle. one of my favs! Only thing to look for would be bearing edges and maybe check for cracking in the finish near the lugs. I know a few years back there were a couple issues with spiderweb cracking in the sparkle finishes on the thick shells in cold weather. not sure where the drums are located and i highly doubt this kit would have that issue, but something to think about. My reference has a nasty little 2 inch diameter crack in the top coat on the bass drum. It's only noticeable if you know where to look Now on your copperfire kit, I bet you couldn't even see it with all those sparkles!! Hope you get a good deal on this great little kit!
    Reference #302 Inca Gold Burst (10x7,12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16, 22x20)
    Masters MHP LE Mahogany #341 Red Mahogany Fade (10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18)
    Virgil Donati Snare Steve Ferrone Snare 14x6.5 Ultracast 14x6 Masterworks Snare (Comet Sparkle)
    DW Collector's Series (13x9, 16x16, 22x18)

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by livn2drum View Post
    Looks like copperfire sparkle. one of my favs! Only thing to look for would be bearing edges and maybe check for cracking in the finish near the lugs. I know a few years back there were a couple issues with spiderweb cracking in the sparkle finishes on the thick shells in cold weather. not sure where the drums are located and i highly doubt this kit would have that issue, but something to think about. My reference has a nasty little 2 inch diameter crack in the top coat on the bass drum. It's only noticeable if you know where to look Now on your copperfire kit, I bet you couldn't even see it with all those sparkles!! Hope you get a good deal on this great little kit!
    The kits in Canada so only place where the cold would be a problem! Lol! The seller assures me that this was his studio kit and it's in mint condition. He says there is no cracks scraps or rashes. So if this works out and I get the kit my next problem will be hunting down a 14x14 to match!

10. Away From The World

Good luck finding an add-on, if you decided to order new Pearl may do a match to Copperfire Sparkle #192.

11. Banned

They usually come with a Danish goblin who lives in the bass drum. You have to make an offering of three and a half 7A sticks to the Reference deity while reciting six "Mother Mangini". The deity will keep the goblin at bay. However, if you neglect to do this the goblin will emerge and feed on your groove, eventually rendering you entirely unfeeling. The only way to regain any groove at all is to train hard on planet Purdie which is known to have shuffle that is approximately one thousand times that of Earth's. Under the weight of this shuffle your groove can expand exponentially and you may be able to enter super-Sam-Newham mode which is visibly different than normal by the glowing aura and sudden onset of Englishness. In this form (not even your final form) you can likely attain groove potentials over 9000 feels, which is plenty to defeat and forever banish the goblin to the cavernous depths of Mount DDrum.

Oh, the goblin is known to many by the name Lars.
    Last edited by nik12; 04-30-2014 at 07:28 AM.

12. There can be only 1

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    They usually come with a Danish goblin who lives in the bass drum. You have to make an offering of three and a half 7A sticks to the Reference deity while reciting six "Mother Mangini". The deity will keep the goblin at bay. However, if you neglect to do this the goblin will emerge and feed on your groove, eventually rendering you entirely unfeeling. The only way to regain any groove at all is to train hard on planet Purdie which is known to have shuffle that is approximately one thousand times that of Earth's. Under the weight of this shuffle your groove can expand exponentially and you may be able to enter super-Sam-Newham mode which is visibly different than normal by the glowing aura and sudden onset of Englishness. In this form (not your final form) you can likely attain groove potentials over 9000 feels, which is plenty to defeat and forever banish the goblin to the cavernous depths of Mount DDrum. Oh, the goblin is known to many by the name Lars.
    Awesome!!!!

Op: that's a really nice looking kit, hope it works out for you.