Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    Genius Switch says that they were called Collectors in 1995, before the Keller shells. You and Marquis say it became Collectors after they stopped using Keller. Doesn't sound like three times to me.
    We never said they weren't Collectors series drums. They add was confusing Keller made dw with dw made dw drums. They have always been Collectors series.

dw started making their first shells in 1997.

http://www.dwdrums.com/info/dwstory.asp

http://www.jonmargolis.com/dw.htm
    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x10 10x9 14x6.5

2. Dirtysticks

I never said or implied that they weren't collector's kits, but generally speaking, when people refer to Pre-Collectors kits they are referring to the keller shelled era.
    -Tama Granstar II Birch (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 16x14, 20x14)
    -Meinl Custom Classics Dark
    -Paiste 2002, 602, Rude
    -An array of snare drums

3. There really is a Kalamazoo!

I guess I misunderstood what you guys were saying. It sounded like you said they became Collectors series when they switched shells, but what you meant is that they have always been Collectors series, but people incorrectly call them "pre-Collectors" when referring to Keller made kits.
    Am I following you correctly now?

Too bad that even using this theory, many post-Keller kits are incorrectly label as such.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

4. Registered User

I guess I misunderstood what you guys were saying. It sounded like you said they became Collectors series when they switched shells, but what you meant is that they have always been Collectors series, but people incorrectly call them "pre-Collectors" when referring to Keller made kits.
    Am I following you correctly now?

Too bad that even using this theory, many post-Keller kits are incorrectly label as such.
    Yes, that is correct.

5. Deputy Grand Poobah

Quote Originally Posted by marquisjohnson22 View Post
    Most likely these are kits that were made using keller shells before DW went to making their own shells.
    Edit: Sorry, just caught up to the rest of the thread. DW drums were always called Collectors Series. The Workshop Series was an attempt to mass produce DW drums. Problem was, they were so popular it was cutting into their Collectors Series profit. They weren't that different from a Collectors Series at that point, so...they stopped Workshop series.
    Last edited by drummaman1; 02-09-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
    Rogers: 13-16-22
    Yamaha, Tama, snares
    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

6. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post

Yes, that is correct.
    Good! Glad we are on the same page now. Sorry for not understanding what you meant the first time.

Now we just need to teach the world that a gold badge DW is not "Pre-Collectors"...and for that matter, I guess none of them are!
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

7. Registered User

Good! Glad we are on the same page now. Sorry for not understanding what you meant the first time. Now we just need to teach the world that a gold badge DW is not "Pre-Collectors"...and for that matter, I guess none of them are!
    The original dw badges were black. Then around 2000, they went to a silver/goldfish badge. Now I think they are back to black.

8. Registered User

Here you can find a timeline of badges:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1757142&type=1

Pre-collectors means pre 1997 means before they started their own shells means before they were called ''Collector Series''

The name Collector was to have a good separation between the lines (Birch, Workshop Series) at that time. Before that time they only made maple shells (rare exceptions not included)

9. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Quote Originally Posted by musiqman View Post
    Here you can find a timeline of badges: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1757142&type=1 Pre-collectors means pre 1997 means before they started their own shells means before they were called ''Collector Series'' The name Collector was to have a good separation between the lines (Birch, Workshop Series) at that time. Before that time they only made maple shells (rare exceptions not included)
    As mentioned earlier, DW called them the Collectors series before they started using their own shells.

10. Registered User

I'm sorry but they didn't (there was no reason to do so, with only one type of series)

Look at the timeline of the badges and you get a nice picture of the series made.

11. There really is a Kalamazoo!

Quote Originally Posted by musiqman View Post
    I'm sorry but they didn't (there was no reason to do so, with only one type of series) Look at the timeline of the badges and you get a nice picture of the series made.
    Then why do they call it "Collectors series" in pre 1997 catalogs? I'm going to trust DW catalogs over you I'm afraid!

The pictures of the badges are interesting, but don't really prove your point.

12. Registered User

My bad you guys are correct. I was mis informed

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  82.1 KB