Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 128

Thread: Dw direct drive

  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I've tried direct drives, have owned axis and demon drives just couldn't get used to the feel. Don't think these are for me. Looks kind if cool though.

  2. Deputy Grand Poobah

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Roc, NY
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumLord316 View Post
    Then why do their footboards snap in half?
    Delta hinge break in half? Yeah, that happened to me. After 4 years of use.

    but footboards snapping in half? You must've replace your legs with steel pegs or something for that to happen to ANY pedal, let alone a DW.
    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
    Rogers: 13-16-22
    Yamaha, Tama, snares
    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

  3. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,058

    Default

    Going overboard? How about "through" the board like the foot of the owners of these pedals?



    Name:  image-1149771178.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  27.4 KB



    Name:  image-3538287562.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  177.3 KB



    Name:  image-2195598912.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  63.3 KB
    Pearl Reference Drums - Paiste - Evans - Vater

    22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x9 10x8 14x6


  4. I'm Creeping Death

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drummaman1 View Post
    Delta hinge break in half? Yeah, that happened to me. After 4 years of use. but footboards snapping in half? You must've replace your legs with steel pegs or something for that to happen to ANY pedal, let alone a DW.
    I personally have not owned a DW pedal and most likely never will due to what happened to these pedals. I play hard on my pedals and I'm not going to drop $500+ on DW for it to break. For that money they should be built like a tank.
    Mapex V Series Drum Kit - 12/13/14/16/22
    DW Performance 14x8 Steel Snare

  5. There really is a Kalamazoo!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Ray View Post
    Going overboard? How about "through" the board like the foot of the owners of these pedals?

    <img src="http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=463204"/>

    <img src="http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=463205"/>

    <img src="http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=463206"/>
    That footboard style is from a number of years ago. Perhaps they have made adjustments.

    Sent from my Starclassic snare.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    That footboard style is from a number of years ago. Perhaps they have made adjustments. Sent from my Starclassic snare.
    That is the same 5000 pedalboard they use today. The only difference is the design ON the pedal.

    Name:  image-316796784.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  28.0 KB
    Pearl Reference Drums - Paiste - Evans - Vater

    22x20x2 18x16 16x16 12x9 10x8 14x6


  7. Banned

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    That footboard style is from a number of years ago.
    Doesn't excuse their mistake.

    Bridge fails. Oh that's okay, that style bridge is from a number of years ago.

  8. Totally Rad

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Edmonton AB
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    If your breaking footboards you should probably work on technique. There is no reason ever to slam your foot down that hard. I bet these same guys break cymbals every time they play. Travis Barker style lol

  9. There really is a Kalamazoo!

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Doesn't excuse their mistake.

    Bridge fails. Oh that's okay, that style bridge is from a number of years ago.
    I don't follow your logic and I'm not excusing a mistake.

    I'm saying that it's possible they have changed the footboard since then if there was a design flaw.

    Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just saying its possible.

    Explain how this relates to a bridge failing, because I don't know where you are going with that.

    Sent from my Starclassic snare.
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

  10. Banned

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    I don't follow your logic and I'm not excusing a mistake.

    I'm saying that it's possible they have changed the footboard since then if there was a design flaw.

    Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just saying its possible.

    Explain how this relates to a bridge failing, because I don't know where you are going with that.
    Never said you were excusing their mistake. Just saying there is no excuse for failure on any scale. If it happened to one artist, chalk it up to rough-housing. If it happens to several, bad design.

    The bridge is an oft used overly sensational example of how there is no excuse for shoddy engineering.

  11. PDF resident cynic

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    I don't follow your logic and I'm not excusing a mistake.

    I'm saying that it's possible they have changed the footboard since then if there was a design flaw.

    Honestly, I have no idea, I'm just saying its possible.

    Explain how this relates to a bridge failing, because I don't know where you are going with that.

    Sent from my Starclassic snare.
    The design of the footboard hasn't changed since. check out sk1's sticky thread with a very in depth analysis to why dw pedals are inferior to other big names from the engineering stand point.



    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Never said you were excusing their mistake. Just saying there is no excuse for failure on any scale. If it happened to one artist, chalk it up to rough-housing. If it happens to several, bad design.

    The bridge is an oft used overly sensational example of how there is no excuse for shoddy engineering.
    You're right, but to be honest i've seen broken IC and elim footboards as well, just not so many.
    Under the sign of D-beat

    Un-ban nik12!

  12. three-two

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NY, US of A
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    We're back to a discussion of product failure rates.

    There will always be failures of EVERY product. There should not be an excessive amount of failures of any product. The true test is how does a company respond. For instance if DW has had only a handful of footboard failures I would think they would replace the footboards even if the pedal is out of warranty as a sign of good faith and for customer loyalty.

    Cast aluminum parts will usually fail due to fatigue not from overstress. In all likelihood this will result from a casting flaw. See above. It happens. No one is perfect. I would bet DW has millions of footboards of that design out there and how many examples of failure do we have? A few? Ten? Twenty? Statistically insignificant.

    I have a DW5000T first gen double pedal from 20+ years ago still going strong. I had to replace the hinges once. At $5 each. I play heel up and can be an aggressive player. Chalk me up as an anecdotal success story.
    Pearl WX: 8x5.5/10x6.5/10x8/12x10/13x11/14x12/16x16/18x16/22x16/22x16 Piano Black
    Pearl MCX: 8x7/10x8/12x9/13x10/14x14/16x16/22x18 Quilted Bubinga Sunburst
    Pearl MPL: 8x7/10x8/12x9/13x10/14x14/16x16/22x18 Ultra Blue Fade
    6 pc Mapex Saturn SE Birch/Walnut in Ocean Wave Fade for SALE- PM Me

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •