Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Custom SJC Kit Ordered!

Well I have officially ordered a new kit. Paid the down payment on December 5th 2013. I started talking to George at SJC about this kit back in May or June but ended up not having the cash for the kind of kit I wanted until more recently and was not really sure on what I wanted, seeing the amount of possibilities in finish/hardware/etc are ridiculous for decision making.

I was told the wait on the kit at the time will be about 4 months. Which sucks but only three months left lol.

DISCLAIMER:
    Before all the hate on SJC and custom kits I wanted to mention that I already have a DW Collectors kit and contrary to popular belief what I managed to get the price down to on this SJC kit there is no way I could have even almost bought a reference kit for the money. I am aware the reference and whatever other high end kit you compare SJC drums to are awesome drums I am sure. Also on the argument that you can just purchase Keller shells and parts and build your own kit for cheaper... I am very aware of that also (check signature for kit thread) I already have a Keller maple shelled kit that me and my grandpa built last year.

Another reason I went SJC is because I wanted a kit with wood hoops on the toms and that is not an option with most of the top manufacturers.

Anyway will post pictures in a few months when the drums arrive, Here are the specs to have some diversity in my drum collection I went with some smaller sizes modeled a little after Justin Foleys drum kit. And I went with Birch because I already have a Keller maple kit (mentioned above) and I used to love my Starclassic all birch kit I had.

Name:  Screen shot 2014-01-13 at 1.24.52 PM.png
Views: 1516
Size:  26.1 KB

2. Banned

****, why spend so much time defending the purchase? People are inevitably ****** no matter the kit, so screw 'em. If you like it (and you obviously do), cool.

I, for one, look forward to seeing the results.

3. Unban nik12

Sounds like a pretty killer set of shells! Excited to see these puppies!

4. your band sucks

At first I was a bit confused by the sizes, thinking the 13" was a rack tom. I've always like Justin Foley's kit, look forward to seeing this.

5. Registered User

Yeah, Most SJC kits don't do anything for me and I find some of the finishes to be repulsive even. With that said, it isn't my kit so my opinion, and others' who feel the same, don't matter. If this is what floats your boat, good on you. Variety is the spice of life. Thank goodness we all don't share the same taste in drums.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented 12, 16, 22, 7x14
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst 10, 12, 16, 22, 6.5x14
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic) 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, 5x14
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) 13, 16, 24, 6.5x14
    Sonor Pro Lite 13, 16, 22

6. Away From The World

Cool man, anticipating new gear that you like is all good.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    ****, why spend so much time defending the purchase? People are inevitably ****** no matter the kit, so screw 'em. If you like it (and you obviously do), cool.

I, for one, look forward to seeing the results.
    I just posted that little "disclaimer" to keep the hate down.
    Search SJC or Custom Drums on this forum. More than half the time there is bashing involved for at least one of the two reasons I mentioned above.

8. your band sucks

Quote Originally Posted by scotturban54 View Post
    Search SJC or Custom Drums on this forum. More than half the time there is bashing involved for at least one of the two reasons I mentioned above.
    I can relate, when I originally posted my SJC snare I was expecting some dumb *** comments, got less than expected though haha!

9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scotturban54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Sam View Post
    I can relate, when I originally posted my SJC snare I was expecting some dumb *** comments, got less than expected though.
    Whenever I post on this forum, I expect some dumbass comments. Comes with the internets

**** 'em. Be proud, man!

10. your band sucks

Quote Originally Posted by opus138 View Post
    Whenever I post on this forum, I expect some dumbass comments. Comes with the internets

**** 'em. Be proud, man!
    Hah, very true.

Scott, just noticed 'revo' hoops on the order form, what are they?

11. Registered User

Hah, very true.

Scott, just noticed 'revo' hoops on the order form, what are they?
    I think it is short for "revolutionary style"

They will be like these hoops.
    Name:  mattcook1kit.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  201.9 KB

12. Registered User

I can relate, when I originally posted my SJC snare I was expecting some dumb *** comments, got less than expected though haha!

I checked out your thread... I have no words for anyone who would hate on a snare drum that looks like that. Incredible.