Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. No Drum on Shabbas!!

Excellent! That is exactly what I need to do for gigs. Thank you!

DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

2. No Drum on Shabbas!!

Ok. Just placed an order for my Atlas setup thanks to my Tax Refund.
    I got the following:

1x Ludwig Atlas Rail mount
    3x Luwdig Atlas LAPAM mounts
    1x Ludwig 8" 12mm Mounting rod
    1x Ludwig Atlas LAP3T6 6" Cymbal arm

I may or may not also get a Ludwig atlas LAP3T1 cymbal arm if the 6" one is too long. All I need now are some gigs to test out this hardware with.

3. No Drum on Shabbas!!

Actually... I just ordered a LAP3T1. I think the longer one may not work for the bass drum. But I think I can use it to mount a 16" crash off my floor tom which will save me an additional stand.

4. Get Down On It

The longer one will put your ride up too high. The short one is about perfect.

And using the arms in place of stands was my goal in the first place. I dropped two stands by using my floor tom to suspend a crash and the hi hat stand to suspend a small crash. I choose scissor lifts for flexibility and necessity. The longer lift clears the hi hats perfectly. And simply attaching them with a twist to the rods makes set up and tear down much quicker. In 4 years, I've yet to devise a better system to lower weight and ease set up than this family of hardware.
    Ludwig Classic Maple in Sky Blue Pearl 24/10/12/13/14/16 & Hammered Copperphonic 6.5X14
    Sabian cymbal non-endorsed endorsee since 1982

5. No Drum on Shabbas!!

I think I will try and use the longer arm on the floor tom for a crash. I am also thinking about ordering the shorter scissor lift for the ride cymbal depending on how the short cymbal arm works for the ride. I am really looking forward to this conversion project. Hardware weight was always an issue because I use all 9000 series hardware and it's heavy. And I also really want to reduce setup and break down times. I was at one point looking to drill a hole in my Bass drum to mount a pearl BB-3 bracket so I could mount a tom and ride cymbal on the bass drum. But now I can do that without drilling into the shell. I can also loose 1 opti-mount. As I get rolling with this system, I'm probably going to see how many other Atlas mounts I can work into my setup.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. It's been a great help.

6. No Drum on Shabbas!!

So today I ordered a Ludwig Atlas LAP3S8 Scissor Lift. I think that will work better for mounting a crash on my floor tom that the standard straight up and down version. My only concern is the weight. How does a floor tom stay balanced with a crash mounted on it? I am going to be using this on a 14x14 floor tom and if there is a stability issue... I may need to look at rigging up some kind of counter weight. Also... I still may order the short Atlas scissor lift to mount my ride on the bass drum, but i'm not sure at this point and that will depend on how well the LAP3T1 I ordered works.

7. No Drum on Shabbas!!

Well... the Ludwig atlas Rail system arrived today as well as the short ride cymbal mount and the 3 pack of the LAPAM mounts. And well... fate is not on my side.

The atlas LAPM mounts are not compatible with Pearl's Bass drum lugs. They will not fit on my Masters Kit or my Wood Fiberglass kit. The mounting rods are off by a very small amount. So the tom rail mount and ride cymbal mount are going to be useless and I will look to return them.

But not all is lost...

I was able to get a LAPM mount to work with the tom lugs. So I have mounted one on my floor tom and I will use it to mount a crash. I may use the other 2 LAPM mounts to mount another cymbal somewhere and maybe a splash. But I am really disappointed. I really wanted to mount that tom and ride on my bass drum. I searched all over the net and found no warnings about these not working with Pearl's Bass drum mounts. So... that is life. Adapt and move on.