Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default What drumhead for a 5'' snare?

I've got this Sonor S-Class pro Snare that is 5'' deep, maple, 10 lug, and I am looking for a snare head that will fit its character best.
    So far, I have used ambassadors, ambassador X and a CS by remo.
    I am not really sure if I tuned the Ambassador X to the best of my ability, however, it seems to me that the thicker the head I go for, the drum sound closes/fades off, and it doesn't really correspond well with a relatively small piece of maple that makes this snare. This is what is telling me that going for thicker (PS3 or Emperor) heads would make the sound even worse.
    So, what do you guys think when it comes to mid-priced snares that are relatively small (5'' like mine).

I've been looking for a x14, but I am not sure if going from 12mil. to 14mil. will do the same degradation as from 10 to 12mil?

PS
    I use a standard ambassador snare side and 20strand wires by sonor.

2. Registered User

If going to thicker heads closes off/boxes the sound, I would definitely stay away from them. The PS3 is an Ambassador with the underlay ring around it....basically it will sound mostly like an ambassador with slight muffling on it. The PS3 is a great head for a controlled full bodied sound. The emperor is 2 ply, each ply is 7 mil thick, so it would definitely be heading in the wrong direction for you. The x14 would be close to the sound of an emperor, just a little more open where it is a single 14 mil ply vs. 14 mil total of the 2 plies...you are not going to have a ton of variation between those 2.

It sounds like to me that for the sound you seem to be looking for, I would stay with the standard single ply heads, maybe just try a PS3. How did you fare with the CS head? Was it too controlled/boxy?

Are you open to Evans heads? If so check out the Genera (PS3 equivalent) or the Genera Dry, G1 Coated, or the Power Center Reverse Dot. I prefer Evans heads personally, but still use Remo from time to time as well, both are great heads.

3. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dado View Post
    the thicker the head I go for, the drum sound closes/fades off
    EXACTLY.

Personally, I've grown to like the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot -- it's a single 10mil ply so the tone is improved, but adds the 5mil 'dot' in the center for increased durability.

And for what it's worth, I'm not a brand whore when it comes to drum heads -- I have an intentional mix of Remo and Evans throughout my kit.

4. SUPREME MODULATOR

Remo Fiberskyn Ambassador.

5. There can be only 1

Single ply, my personal favorite is Aquarian Texture Coated.

6. I miss the beat

Quote Originally Posted by lddrummer View Post
    [...] emperor i[...] x14 [...] you are not going to have a ton of variation between those 2.
    What about a Remo Vintage A(mbassador)? Two plies: 7.5 and 3 mil. Or Aquarian Super-2; 7 plus 5 mil?

7. Registered User

To my ears, the 2 ply version of any head always seems to have a more low end fundamental, almost muffled tone naturally....I guess some would call it a more mellow sound (for lack of good terms to use ) On the plus side, the 2 ply heads have more durability. I have never used the vintage ambassador, but have been curious about it since they reintroduced it. Given that it ends up being 10.5 mil, I would imagine it would have more of a controlled tone, but be a little brighter than an emperor would be. In my head I am picturing a sound about in between a regular ambassador and PS3.

I appreciate that ambassadors or G1s will let the most natural sound of any drum come through, but for me they always need that little something extra to control the sound. For me, I experiment here and there, but the only snare head I fall back to time after time is the Power Center Reverse Dot (or Remo Coated CS), and add moon gel as needed for each situation.

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lddrummer View Post
    If going to thicker heads closes off/boxes the sound, I would definitely stay away from them. The PS3 is an Ambassador with the underlay ring around it....basically it will sound mostly like an ambassador with slight muffling on it. The PS3 is a great head for a controlled full bodied sound. The emperor is 2 ply, each ply is 7 mil thick, so it would definitely be heading in the wrong direction for you. The x14 would be close to the sound of an emperor, just a little more open where it is a single 14 mil ply vs. 14 mil total of the 2 plies...you are not going to have a ton of variation between those 2.

It sounds like to me that for the sound you seem to be looking for, I would stay with the standard single ply heads, maybe just try a PS3. How did you fare with the CS head? Was it too controlled/boxy?

Are you open to Evans heads? If so check out the Genera (PS3 equivalent) or the Genera Dry, G1 Coated, or the Power Center Reverse Dot. I prefer Evans heads personally, but still use Remo from time to time as well, both are great heads.
    I am not a brand-whore when it comes to heads. I did have some evans heads on, a while ago most of my kit was G2...
    Back to snare - the CS I got was a really long time ago - I didn't want to mention this before, but it sort of looks like the center dot worked well at the time being. Sounds like I am going to opt for a standard 10mil. with a center dot.
    I see the Aquarian has the equivalent of Remo CS, so I am going to check Evans for those types of heads...

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dado View Post
    I am not a brand-whore when it comes to heads. I did have some evans heads on, a while ago most of my kit was G2...
    Back to snare - the CS I got was a really long time ago - I didn't want to mention this before, but it sort of looks like the center dot worked well at the time being. Sounds like I am going to opt for a standard 10mil. with a center dot.
    I see the Aquarian has the equivalent of Remo CS, so I am going to check Evans for those types of heads...
    For Evans you will want either the Power Center (has dot on top) or the Power Center Reverse Dot (dot on bottom)....that would be the head you are looking for!

10. Ginger and Mary Ann

Evans heads play a little "lighter and faster" than Remo or Aquarian as their coating is thinner and the new 360 collar tunes up easier. The PCRD and Genera are great .
    FS: 6.5x14 Craviotto mahogany, 8 lugs, 30deg edges, minty. $500+ship.