Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Unban nik12

Default New project. Any pointers?

Hey, all. Just got a project today. Found it in my school's extra band trailer that's been sitting for a few years and director said we could take stuff. My friend originally took it, but he gave it to me today.

In case you're not sure what it is, it's a 60's (but Blue/Olive badge?) Ludwig marching snare. 14x12, 12 lugs. It's pretty beat up, but she's got potential.

Rims are trashed. Most of the chrome plating has chipped off, so I'm probably going to need some new ones. Never seen 14" 12 lug hoops before, so that could be fun. Chrome wrap is rusted in some places, but looks fixable. Throw off is kind of slow, but I might just leave it and clean it up.

This is my first restoration, so I'd love some help from the PDF. I'm probably gonna drill it for legs to use as a left side ballad snare and concert snare for symphonic band. Any tips for pitted lugs?

2. Drumaholic

.0000 steel wool works wonders on pitted chrome. What kind of strainer does the snare use? Is it a P85 or 98 (I think 98 is the number, but it's the one with the handle that looks like a beer tap).

3. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie G View Post
    .0000 steel wool works wonders on pitted chrome. What kind of strainer does the snare use? Is it a P85 or 98 (I think 98 is the number, but it's the one with the handle that looks like a beer tap).
    Just the steel wool directly, or with vinegar, too?

Also, I think it's a P98. Should I just replace it? If so, that presents a problem; the screws used to hold the throw off have a smooth, round head. It can't be removed from what I'm seeing.