Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. SUPREME MODULATOR

Forgive me if someone already esplaned is....

Here's the deal:
    When you engage the strainer on a snare drum, most of that tension applied to the snare set, is focused towards the center of the perpendicular end-clips ...... That means the outer four or six strands across either side of a 20-strand set, are a little looser that those towards the center.

To compensate for the slight imbalance of tension between the inner and outer most strands, the scooped "snare bed" is created so as to bring the head back into contact with the snare strands.

See how that works? If you can't bring the strands into even contact with the head, then by contouring the bearing edge, you effectively bring the head into more even contact with the snare strands.

So... if you have a narrow bed designed to accommodate 16 or 20-strand snares, using a 42-strand snare will put the looser outer-most strands beyond the head area affected by the contour of the bed.

and beermaniac... your drums had beds. Okay. On cheap steel drums the bed is often huge...like 2/3 of the entire bearing edge. The Amati snares? I dunno... they probably still had beds unless they were cheap knock-off crap made in Southeastern Europe or something.

2. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I have a Tico Torres Signature. I have no Idea what generation that would be.
    I've been told it is approximately Gen2.

3. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by PYRRHO View Post
    and beermaniac... your drums had beds. Okay. On cheap steel drums the bed is often huge...like 2/3 of the entire bearing edge. The Amati snares? I dunno... they probably still had beds unless they were cheap knock-off crap made in Southeastern Europe or something.
    I am absolutely sure that that 14" had no snare bed. I'm neither blind nor uneducated in drum parts i could be mistaken about that 13" Pearl, however, if it had any snare bed at all, it's been so shallow i haven't even noticed when i changed the heads, and i'm perceptive in these things.
    don't know, maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me.

and yes, amati's were cheap knockoff crap made in eastern europe
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

4. Pearl Corporation USA

in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed...........

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

5. I'm actually sane

Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed...........
    This is the best thing anyone has or ever will say on this forum. Maybe even all of the internet!
    SAManiac's kit is really freaking cool If I do say so myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Any posts that need to declare themselves as "full of win" are clearly devoid of win.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I have a Tico Torres Signature. I have no Idea what generation that would be.
    As Nik said, it is a 2nd gen FF. It should have came with the extended snares, was it purchased new or used?

7. Registered User

I have been looking for a good quote forever!! Thanks Al!
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
    my sessions (work in progress)
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

looking for: anything satin

8. Pearl Corporation USA

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl bassist View Post
    I have been looking for a good quote forever!! Thanks Al!
    Ba da bum bum. I got a million of 'em. Try the veal. I'll be here all week. Unless I die...........
    see what I did?......another one

KISS uses Gibson Guitars and PEARL Drums because They Want The Best!

PEARL | ZILDJIAN | REMO

9. Registered User

Hi Al,have been searching for a answer for this question for sometime,do 1st and 2nd generation Pearl FFs have snare beds,if not ,can you play them all night long.

10. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by beermaniac View Post
    I'm sure. all in all i had 4 snares without beds. Two vintage amati's, but that doesn't tell much, because before i got my hands on them they had no bearing edges either and then a couple of steel snares. one was 14x5.5, but i can't remember the manufacturer, the other was Pearl Steel Shell 13x5 (?) which, as far as i can remember also had no snare beds. Lovely snare though, dirt cheap but pack a great punch under high tension.
    As for sensitivity, i always tune my snares high with cranked wires. That's how i like them, so i might got that impression due to my tuning habits.

I do, and yes, they have wide and deep beds. I just can't seem to get the sound i'm after from it. It's a great drum, but i enjoyed my Pearl Steel Shell much more :/
    When you say cranked wires you are talking about the tension of your snares, correct? Like you I also tune my snare drums tight, but I find that when I overtighten the snares even a touch, this results in a terribly choked sounding drum.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

11. PDF resident cynic

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdavis View Post
    When you say cranked wires you are talking about the tension of your snares, correct? Like you I also tune my snare drums tight, but I find that when I overtighten the snares even a touch, this results in a terribly choked sounding drum.
    yep, i like to crank my wires. my usual formula for tuning is very high batter head, above medium reso with cranked wires. To get that high pitched, popy, focused, piercing sound.
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

12. Less is more

i have sets of 16, 20 and 42 strand wires of all kinds. and i put them interchangeably on all my four snares: ludwig acro 5x14, ludwig supra chrome over brass 5x14, pork pie big black brass 6.5x14 and gretsch catalina club mahogany 7x13.

all sound great on any of those drums. i have never checked the size of the beds. the idea that you cannot use wide wires on shallow beds, i think, is a bit extreme.

i also have never heard a snare that does not buzz when surrounded by other low frequency sound, such as bass, guitar, tom toms, or kick drum. it's a sound that is part of drumming, and i, for one, like it