Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14" bass drum?

1. Registered User

Default 14" bass drum?

Anyone here done a 14" floor to kick conversion? I want to have a little bit of a travel kit going on for jazz/latin stuff - i.e. 10, 12, 14.

Just, all the conversion kits are for 16" floors and I don't have one of them and 16 is still huge! I'm half considering buying a REALLY cheap 16" tom and just shoving a 13ply double triple coated head on it and stuffing it with a thousand pillows to make it sound bass-y and quiet-ish.

But ideally I want to make my 14x14 a bass drum every now and then, so what kit is suitable for this? And it's got to be portable, so no blocks of wood with felt strips and lorry straps.

2. Banned

Wouldn't the jungle gig conversion work?

3. Registered User

I looked at that. Wouldn't be able to center the beater by the looks of it. Might be a last resort option though.

4. Banned

I'll give it a try with mine and let you know.

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    I'll give it a try with mine and let you know.
    ur a bbe!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'd really appreciate that.

6. Banned

You'll see I've choked up on the pedal's beater here a bit, but I could have adjusted the height of the drum (didn't want to mess with my 16" FT/BD settings). I'm just running the JG with an ISS (you'll need an ISS or an Opti), so I could have moved the drum up higher on the tube coming out of the pedal's clamp-down plate to raise it up for a more normal beater height. You can actually see a decent amount of that tube peaking out the back of the ISS in the first picture, which should be plenty to get the 14" FT up to a comfortable height. My conclusion then is that the Jungle Gig would work just fine with a 14" FT.

Note: The only issue I've found with the JG, is that the legs are ever-so-slightly too small for the Tama FT leg clamps. I get around this by sticking a piece of rubber or something in the FT leg clamps with the JG legs.
    Last edited by nik12; 05-26-2013 at 09:25 AM.

7. Less is more

i used a 14x11 for years with no issues whatsoever...sounds great when miced, esp through a sub....i used the danmar bass drum lifter which accomodates any size from 14 up...you really do need to muffle the inside with a lot of towel or pillow though.....i used a 14 inch remo ps4 for the batter.....perfect!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=danm...w=1366&bih=606

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Lots of useful stuff.
    Thanks man! I'll get on ordering one asap then! I believe I have an old iss lying around somewhere from my export so that's one less thing to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by chilledbongo View Post
    i used a 14x11 for years with no issues whatsoever...sounds great when miced, esp through a sub....i used the danmar bass drum lifter which accomodates any size from 14 up...you really do need to muffle the inside with a lot of towel or pillow though.....i used a 14 inch remo ps4 for the batter.....perfect!
    That is too pricey for me, but thanks for the link all the same! As for the advice on heads, I'll take that. I didn't know that remo made a 14 ps4 - when I do this, I'll be getting my hands on one for sure!

9. Registered User

Ahhh!!! Hand feet!!!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    Ahhh!!! Hand feet!!!
    Don't point it out, he's very sensitive about it!!

11. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Don't point it out, he's very sensitive about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Thanks man! I'll get on ordering one asap then! I believe I have an old iss lying around somewhere from my export so that's one less thing to buy.

That is too pricey for me, but thanks for the link all the same! As for the advice on heads, I'll take that. I didn't know that remo made a 14 ps4 - when I do this, I'll be getting my hands on one for sure!
    I also had an ISS laying around from some old Export toms. Much better in my opinion as the Opti is pain to install and remove. As for heads. I can't speak to the 14", but my 16" is just running on the normal Emp/Amb tom combo, tuned up a bit higher with a pillow cover laying in the bottom. Sounds good, but I think it would probably do better with nothing in it and BD heads on it.

12. Registered User

Anyone still interested in doing this?