Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default RefP Bass Drum - "Better" Ported or Unported?

Hi there,

I just got a Reference Pure set and I'm trying to avoid porting the bass drum. I've played on ported bass drum reso's for the past 15 years, but I really like the sound of this particular bass drum as it is...I'm afraid to cut a hole in the original head.

I like the boomy, punchy sound. I'm wondering how much of this I'll lose if I port the reso head -- anyone have feedback?

The reason I'm asking is because the beater response is obviously amplified by about three times with unported vs. ported, and I'm not used to playing that way. I can't bury the beater into the head any more, because it bounces multiple times. I'm not sure that I will want to change my technique (or that it would be easy to do so) after this long, so I probably already know the answer to what I need to do here...but just wondering if anyone has had similar experience.
    Reference Pure in Scarlet Sparkle Burst | 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 FT | 16x16 FT | 22x18 bass |
    Masters MCX in Vintage Wine | 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 16x16 FT | 18x16 FT | 22x18 bass |
    Ludwig 14x6.5 Hammered Black Beauty Snare (LB417KT)

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xacc View Post
    Hi there,

I just got a Reference Pure set and I'm trying to avoid porting the bass drum. I've played on ported bass drum reso's for the past 15 years, but I really like the sound of this particular bass drum as it is...I'm afraid to cut a hole in the original head.

I like the boomy, punchy sound. I'm wondering how much of this I'll lose if I port the reso head -- anyone have feedback?

The reason I'm asking is because the beater response is obviously amplified by about three times with unported vs. ported, and I'm not used to playing that way. I can't bury the beater into the head any more, because it bounces multiple times. I'm not sure that I will want to change my technique (or that it would be easy to do so) after this long, so I probably already know the answer to what I need to do here...but just wondering if anyone has had similar experience.
    I don't know the reference portion of your question. From the research I have done 4" port at a dramatic offset will only effect the sound minimally. You will lose a lot of beater response ( thus you keep your technique the same) but get the benefits of easy mic placement and more attack when mic'ed. I love my port it's small, looks good, gets the job done an still sounds great.

Name:  image-911450688.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  469.0 KB

That logo is also a bit smaller then a standard pearl logo. Also it's a 22" kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
    my sessions (work in progress)
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

looking for: anything satin

3. Too many hobbies

I think you keep your springs way too tight if your beater bounces that much. I have gone from a ported 22" to a ported 20" and don't feel that much difference aside from the differences that come with change in head size.
    Are you playing situations where you need to be mic'ed up? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If so, that go ahead and use a small port like PB^ suggested. I loved the boominess that I got from my un-ported 22, but the attack and response that I get from the ported 20 is cool.

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl bassist View Post
    I don't know the reference portion of your question. From the research I have done 4" port at a dramatic offset will only effect the sound minimally. You will lose a lot of beater response ( thus you keep your technique the same) but get the benefits of easy mic placement and more attack when mic'ed. I love my port it's small, looks good, gets the job done an still sounds great.

Name:  image-911450688.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  469.0 KB

That logo is also a bit smaller then a standard pearl logo. Also it's a 22" kick.
    Thanks for the response. I may consider a small port.
    Reference Pure in Scarlet Sparkle Burst | 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 FT | 16x16 FT | 22x18 bass |
    Masters MCX in Vintage Wine | 8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 16x16 FT | 18x16 FT | 22x18 bass |

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I think you keep your springs way too tight if your beater bounces that much. I have gone from a ported 22" to a ported 20" and don't feel that much difference aside from the differences that come with change in head size.
    Are you playing situations where you need to be mic'ed up? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If so, that go ahead and use a small port like PB^ suggested. I loved the boominess that I got from my un-ported 22, but the attack and response that I get from the ported 20 is cool.
    Yea my goal is a 20" ported reference kick. I love the way my session kick sounds, can't wait to get it in a reference

don't get me wrong unported definitely sounds better unmic'ed but ported is better for all around. Unless of course your cool enough to use an in kick mic. Those are wicked for mic'ed situations. Beater response and boom of an unported. Attack and accessibility of a ported. Only downside is you need to pay for your own mic.
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I have a 22" bass. My spring settings are actually very loose, so there is not much tension. This is what's surprising me...not sure if it's just the natural finesse of a direct drive pedal that I'm not happy with, or if it's the unported response. I do love the boominess, which is my only hesitation...I have not had an issue with a ported head the past 15 years, but I also was not crazy about my ported Masters MCX bass sound.

And we do play out live a decent amount, so mics will be involved. It's just that I play for myself more than live.

7. Registered User

I have a 22" bass. My spring settings are actually very loose, so there is not much tension. This is what's surprising me...not sure if it's just the natural finesse of a direct drive pedal that I'm not happy with, or if it's the unported response. I do love the boominess, which is my only hesitation...I have not had an issue with a ported head the past 15 years, but I also was not crazy about my ported Masters MCX bass sound.

And we do play out live a decent amount, so mics will be involved. It's just that I play for myself more than live.
    What size port and what reso head were you using?

8. Registered User

What size port and what reso head were you using?
    I did a 4" port with the stock reso on the MCX, which is why I'm hesitant. But, I'm a bit more optimistic for the Reference Pure if I DO port, due to the thinner shells and the mahogany.

I suppose...I could always try swapping the MCX reso with the Pure reso to see if it makes a difference first, before I cut into the Pure reso.

9. Registered User

I did a 4" port with the stock reso on the MCX, which is why I'm hesitant. But, I'm a bit more optimistic for the Reference Pure if I DO port, due to the thinner shells and the mahogany.

I suppose...I could always try swapping the MCX reso with the Pure reso to see if it makes a difference first, before I cut into the Pure reso.
    Probably your best bet. What problem did you have with mcx? Not enough boom? Rattling?

10. Registered User

Probably your best bet. What problem did you have with mcx? Not enough boom? Rattling?
    My problem with the MCX was that it didn't feel like it had enough boom, and not enough low end. It had some punch, but it was more of a higher end, warmer punch, without enough "boominess". I like a bass drum you can feel in your chest. The ported MCX didn't have that. Thanks for the help and quick responses!

11. Registered User

My problem with the MCX was that it didn't feel like it had enough boom, and not enough low end. It had some punch, but it was more of a higher end, warmer punch, without enough "boominess". I like a bass drum you can feel in your chest. The ported MCX didn't have that. Thanks for the help and quick responses!
    No problem I'm at the in-laws so this is a good escape. Un mic'ed is really hard to get the "in your chest" feel with a port. But throw a mic in with that mahagony that'll boom something fierce. And again if your that critical on your kick sound check out the Kelly shu. You get the best of both worlds just have to relearn the beater response. What kind of beaters are you using? I use wood with a gmad, and a ps3. It's more of an attack setup rather then boom but I always get compliments on my kick sound. I find that most venues have a ton of low end, and it's nice to have the extra attack.

12. Registered User

No problem I'm at the in-laws so this is a good escape. Un mic'ed is really hard to get the "in your chest" feel with a port. But throw a mic in with that mahagony that'll boom something fierce. And again if your that critical on your kick sound check out the Kelly shu. You get the best of both worlds just have to relearn the beater response. What kind of beaters are you using? I use wood with a gmad, and a ps3. It's more of an attack setup rather then boom but I always get compliments on my kick sound. I find that most venues have a ton of low end, and it's nice to have the extra attack.
    I have Demon Drive pedals. Not 100% happy with the feel...don't get me wrong, they are awesome, but they are so much about finesse; not my style. I've tried every which way for configuration as well. I used chain pedals for years, and although I've had the Demon Drives for a few years, I just still haven't gotten used to the feeling. I'm using the stock felt beaters, which IMO are not amazing. I have a clear PS3 with a Falam patch. I don't use mics for personal play, or at band practice, though.

Usually the venues we play at have their own mics, so I don't really use mics around home or practice for sound purposes.
    Last edited by xacc; 05-10-2013 at 11:41 PM.