Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marketing Myths

1. Registered User

Default Marketing Myths

Fact or fiction -- Do these features perform as the manufacturer claims or are they simply marketing scams:

Golden Ratio Air Vents (Pearl)
    Silver Sealer (Gretsch)
    True Pitch Tension Rods (DW)
    Timbre-matched Kits / Shell Notes (DW)
    Cross Grain Technology (e.g., VLT, VLX, etc., DW)
    Hybrid Shells (Pearl and others)
    Super Solid Molecular Compression (DW)
    360 Degree Technology (Evans)

This list should get us started. We've already seen these debated in separate threads but I thought it would be fun to share our thoughts on these in one dedicated thread. Feel free to comment on any you feel strongly about and add to the list.
    Guru Tour padauk segmented
    Tama Star walnut kit in Japenese sen indigo burst
    Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
    Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

2. Paiste-oholic

To me sound is subjective anyway, so I guess it's up to a person's own ears to tell if some of these work.

The Silver Sealer paint I just don't get. I was in the market for a new set of drums, and was kind of leaning towards the Gretsch series that has this, but hate how that looks. They told me it was absolutely not an option to leave the sealer off. So, I bought a Tama Starclassic instead.

3. I'm Ron $%&# Swanson

This is a cool idea for a thread, but oh boy is it going to get heated in here especially with how polarized people are about dw. Personally I don't think much of what dw does makes a difference. As a whole I think all of their 'technology' does give them a unique sound, but in general I have not heard a vlx shell that sounded any warmer than an older dw shell. Personally, I think Pearl Mahogany shells and even Mapex Saturns sound warmer than dw kits do. Recorded correctly, dws sound good, but in person they sound like you're bouncing a basketball when you hit it. So I guess dw has a 'unique' sound, but I don't think their technology does what they say it does.

I know I will get flamed for this and I would like to add that this is only my OPINION. I just heard drumminjc's recording of his dw kit in another thread and it sounded incredible, so maybe there is something to dw's hype.

As for the other things, I can't comment on them as I don't know too much about them. I would add hand hammering to the list for cymbals, but then again we know that it does make the cymbals different.

How about adding rotocasting from ufip to the list? That's certainly a questionable technology.
    I'm using my Christmas avatar until they are the correct size.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."- Calvin (Bill Watterson)

4. Registered User

Im inclined to say that all of those things work as claimed, as I dont think any manufacturer would get away with it otherwise and risk ruining their reputation.

I think the real question is: 'to what extent do these things actually make a noticable or practical difference?'.

My guess?: two fifths of f-all
    Tama Starclassic Performer 100% Birch - 22x16, 10x7.5, 12x7.5, 16x16
    Tama Starphonic Aluminum Snare - 14x6
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/HH
    Evans Drumheads, Pro-Mark Drumsticks

5. There really is a Kalamazoo!

A few of those I don't have enough experience to comment on.

The only one I feel very strongly is NOT just hype is the true pitch tuning rods. I like that on DW/PDP drums it is easier to fine tune the drum. On other brands, a slight turn of the drum key can change the sound drastically and it can be tough to dial in the right pitch.

The one that is the biggest marketing hype has got to be golden ratio air vents...what a joke!
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

6. Registered User

Great suggestions Dude. While we may be passionate about some of these, I'm hoping we can be respectful of each others' views and recognize that we are allowed to have our own beliefs and opinions. I look forward to throwing my .02 in the ring when I'm able to type on a real keyboard.
    Tama Starclassic maple (Caribbean blue fade) and Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    A few of those I don't have enough experience to comment on.

The only one I feel very strongly is NOT just hype is the true pitch tuning rods. I like that on DW/PDP drums it is easier to fine tune the drum. On other brands, a slight turn of the drum key can change the sound drastically and it can be tough to dial in the right pitch.

The one that is the biggest marketing hype has got to be golden ratio air vents...what a joke!
    Yeah, I can't imagine that the placement of an air vent would have a noticeable influence on sound. Pure marketing hype in my opinion. With that said, Pearl is less prone to these kind of marketing gimmicks than some others.

8. Registered User

I have no way of comparing all the different DW shells in the same room with the same heads, this isn't some kind of fantasy land. But after watching DW's Sermon of the Wood video with John Good, I'm convinced enough that the different construction makes a noticeable difference.

9. I'm Ron $%&# Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
    Great suggestions Dude. While we may be passionate about some of these, I'm hoping we can be respectful of each others' views and recognize that we are allowed to have our own beliefs and opinions. I look forward to throwing my .02 in the ring when I'm able to type on a real keyboard.
    I agree. As long as everyone is respectful enough, this should be a great thread!

Personally, while I am not a fan of the wood technology on dw kits, I will say the dw kits I have tuned were not too hard to tune, so maybe that does work.
    I'm using my Christmas avatar until they are the correct size.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."- Calvin (Bill Watterson)

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gabebennett1 View Post
    I have no way of comparing all the different DW shells in the same room with the same heads, this isn't some kind of fantasy land. But after watching DW's Sermon of the Wood video with John Good, I'm convinced enough that the different construction makes a noticeable difference.
    I don't buy into most DW marketing claims (though I still love my DW drums). I do believe there is something to that cross grain SSC technology however. Doesn't necessarily make the shells better, but it does affect and lower a shell's pitch.

11. Registered User

My view is that there are some features where it is abundantly obvious that they work as advertised, such as DW's thread on their tension rods.

There are others where opinion will be divided: with people in the camp of "it works", and others in the camp of "its just marketing hype". Those saying the features are just marketing hype normally use the argument "choice of heads and good tuning and how it is mic'ed are the dominant factors in the sound".

My view is that in most cases that argument ("choice of heads and good tuning and how it is mic'ed are the dominant factors in the sound") is similar to saying cheap cask wine is just as good as a really expensive vintage:
    • In the setting of a loud teenage party it basically is: it does the job, and it tastes like wine. Just like a cheap kit in a noisy pub is mic'ed up and does the job and not that much different to a high end kit.
    • However, on the other hand in a quieter setting, over a fancy meal, there is a huge difference between a nice bottle of wine and a cheap cask wine. Similarly for drums, in a setting where you can hear the quality of the instruments, the "features" that might otherwise be labelled marketing myth come into play.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post

Yeah, I can't imagine that the placement of an air vent would have a noticeable influence on sound. Pure marketing hype in my opinion. With that said, Pearl is less prone to these kind of marketing gimmicks than some others.
    I think that because of how little hype pearl puts out its enough reason to believe it. Think about how dramatically moving a kick port an inch would cause. Granted that's a 4/5/or 6" hole however I would be inclined to believe that it will have a similar, although minor difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
    my sessions (work in progress)
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

looking for: anything satin