Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by wsgnst View Post
    I find it's easy to tell when someone tried to refinish a lower line kit that used to be wrapped and rarely does it look good in my opinion.
    That's kind of what I was getting at - if the person really knows what they are doing with wood refinishing it can work, but otherwise....

This is the thread I was talking about with the refinished Pearl Session done in two-tone natural/black. I LOVE this thing and I'd like to do a similar refinish on a project kit sometime.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...finish-Project
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

2. Registered User

So after removing the heads I noticed a few things. The 12" is undilled for a mount, so I do believe that they are visions now.
    But on a worse note:

The floor tom has a separation of the innermost ply. The 12" tom is completely missing this ply, as there are a few pieces left inside.

Name:  ply seperation.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  41.5 KB

The separation goes almost all the way around.

Name:  Uneven ply.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  41.7 KB

Also, there are air pockets everywhere between the innermost ply and the next ply.

Name:  Airpocket ridges.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  18.5 KB

Now I'm slightly mad.... Anyone have ideas on this? should I just remove the ply like it is with the 12" tom? I don't find it necessary to start another thread for this.

Regarding refinishing; I'm just going to wrap any drums I want to add, since the wrap looks so good. Thanks all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    That's kind of what I was getting at - if the person really knows what they are doing with wood refinishing it can work, but otherwise....

This is the thread I was talking about with the refinished Pearl Session done in two-tone natural/black. I LOVE this thing and I'd like to do a similar refinish on a project kit sometime.
    I love the way that turned out! I may experiment with finishing later, because I think if I just clear coated, it would look nice. Thanks!
    Last edited by bentheboar; 05-08-2013 at 03:34 PM.

3. Registered User

I think there is a guy JoshVibert on this site, who did a fantastic wrap job with some material from a fabric shop? l

4. This is just a tribute

I know it's kind of taboo to talk about other forums here on thee PDF, but for that ply separation issue I think your best bet would be to head over to the ghost note forum and post the pics, and ask the question there. Someone on there will know the best way to deal with that.

Aside from that though, are you absolutely sure these drums are Pearl drums? Something just doesn't quite seem right with them. I've never heard of any Pearl drums produced in recent years having any issues with ply separation, although I suppose it's possible if they were water damaged at some point.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

5. Registered User

I am not sure. I bought them for $200 shipped from ebay the seller was selling them as pearl exports so I figured that is what they were. I used them for a show and I play on them quite often and they sounded really nice, but I never removed the heads fully and examined them. The lugs underneath say pearl, but I wouldn't know how to identify the shells. Also, It looks like the rest of the plys are perfectly fine but the inner one is separating.

6. Rockin' the Cosmos..

Yeah .. Exports and Visions were never offered in Topo gold wrap .. original owner re-wrapped .. you can buy Topo Gold wrap just about anywhere .. here's a link to one source .. http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/body_wrap.html#pearls

Regarding ply separation all you need is a wood syringe, wood glue and clamps .. it's an easy fix

7. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by bentheboar View Post
    So after removing the heads I noticed a few things. The 12" is undilled for a mount, so I do believe that they are visions now.
    But on a worse note:

The floor tom has a separation of the innermost ply. The 12" tom is completely missing this ply, as there are a few pieces left inside.

Name:  ply seperation.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  41.5 KB

The separation goes almost all the way around.

Name:  Uneven ply.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  41.7 KB

Also, there are air pockets everywhere between the innermost ply and the next ply.

Name:  Airpocket ridges.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  18.5 KB

Now I'm slightly mad.... Anyone have ideas on this? should I just remove the ply like it is with the 12" tom? I don't find it necessary to start another thread for this.

Regarding refinishing; I'm just going to wrap any drums I want to add, since the wrap looks so good. Thanks all for the help.

I love the way that turned out! I may experiment with finishing later, because I think if I just clear coated, it would look nice. Thanks!
    On the older Visions, the rack toms were 6 ply and the floor toms 8 ply. I don't think anything is "missing."

8. J-Con

My guess is that if you pulled off that inner ply you would see the extra holes where the previous owner "re-virganized" the kick, added off brand spurs, and possibly added off brand floor Tom legs. It looks as though this is an amateur refurb and the seller left out some details. The lugs are def Vision series. The claw hooks are def export series. But the wrap (seemingly confirmed to NOT be available in either of these series) looks as though it was done nicely. Upon closer inspection, this could be an older forum series(?) The spurs look as though they have Pearl's proprietary wing nut.

9. Band

Hate to say this, but it has all the hallmarks of a set that has gotten wet....very wet, like submerged......before I did anything else, I'd check shells for roundness.

10. Banned

Looks like someone veneered the inside of the drum to me

I think tasty808 knows the story of this kit.

11. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Looks like someone veneered the inside of the drum to me

I think tasty808 knows the story of this kit.
    The more I look at this and the evidence toward that, the more I think that tasty808's assessment is the correct one. This is what I'm seeing:

• For instance, unless I've missed something, Pearl doesn't use silver lug screws and washers - unless they've changed recently, theirs are all black - that's what I've got in my drums, and that's what I've seen thus far.
    • The wrap isn't a wrap offered with either Visions or Exports
    • The bass drum spurs are wrong, at least for a Vision kit
    • The vent hole hardware is wrong - Pearl uses a different type that doesn't extend that far into the shell
    • With the way Pearl drums are made, at least in recent years, ply separation is not an issue, so the inner ply shouldn't be bubbling or coming loose at all
    • Pearl uses a roundover bearing edge - that looks like a single 45 degree bearing edge without a roundover
    • It's hard to see it in the photo, but I'm not seeing black gaskets under the lugs on the kick - all Pearl kits come with gaskets for the lugs, and they have for quite some time.

This isn't to say that the drums don't look or sound good - obviously there are some issues that need to be addressed, but I don't think they are Pearl Visions or Exports. I think they are something else that has Pearl Hardware attached...although that doesn't really make sense because where would a person get genuine Pearl hardware cheap enough to make it viable to use it on shells that are something other than Pearl?
    Patrick G.

12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post

This isn't to say that the drums don't look or sound good - obviously there are some issues that need to be addressed, but I don't think they are Pearl Visions or Exports. I think they are something else that has Pearl Hardware attached...although that doesn't really make sense because where would a person get genuine Pearl hardware cheap enough to make it viable to use it on shells that are something other than Pearl?
    The guy I bought these from said he has re-wrapped many kits before. This leads me to believe that he has hardware from many kits around, and after re wrapping he probably added hardware components from different kits. I also think he changed out the screws for new ones after wrapping. I'm going to message him and ask him for the full story since I already own the drums and he doesn't need to worry about selling them. I think I am going to leave the inner ply alone for now because I think it has no noticeable effect on sound, considering this is a lower end kit anyway.