Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Using optimounts on floor toms

I like to rack mount EVERYTHING. I play large set ups and use a drum rack which makes my set up easier, the positions are more consistent and the kit looks so much better than a mess of tripod stands all around it. This being said...I ran into a small problem installing Optimounts on my new Sessions kit. The Optimount will not allow me to install it over the floor tom leg mount. It gets in the way. The only way I can install optimounts is to install it covering the Pearl Badge. I disliked that because the badges look awesome. So I began to look for a way to remove the floor tom leg mount so I could install the optimount where I wanted it.

The 1st photo is what the drum looks like with the Optimount installed over the badge....Which I did not like.

The 2nd picture is what I found in a hardware store to plug the holes in the shell drilled for the tom mount. It is a plastic button that is used in the automotive industry to help hold on interior panels inside cars. It is pretty soft...will not alter the holes in the shell or cause any damage. I painted these buttons a gold color to match the color of the badges Pearl put on the drum shell.

The 3rd picture is what the optimount looks like when installed over the tom leg mount. You can clearly see that the optimount hits the tom leg mount and it will not allow me to install the optimount in that position.

AXEMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AXEMAN; 04-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    "If You Don't Rock, YOU SUCK!"

2. Registered User

The 4th picture is what the drum looks like with the optimount installed where I want it. You can see the plugs on the side under the optimount.

The 5th picture is a straight on shot of the optimount with the new plugs. I used rubber grommets to hold the plugs in place. They will not make noise or come loose or damage the shell.

The 6th picture is a side of the drum...I removed all of the tom leg mounts from both of my floor toms. No since having them installed if you're not going to use them.

AXEMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by AXEMAN; 04-07-2013 at 01:20 AM.

3. The Honey Badger....

Good work Axe, you might want to post a pic or two in the first aid section for others who want to use optis on their ssc floor toms to take note of this. Just a thought.... have some more rep
    Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
    Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
    Zildjian A & K Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by ashmaple View Post
    ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

4. Registered User

Thanks Johnboy....buy the way...you can order an SMX green burst from Pearl. I got me one that way.

CHEERS!

AXEMAN

5. Registered User

8 tension rods; 3 legs, and 1 spot for the badge...don't you have 4 open spots to put the otpimount without hitting the leg? or, one of the legs should be centered (opposite the badge probably, by the air vent) would that not work?
    Pacific MXR 24-8-10-12-14-16 in Ebony Oil

Paiste Cymbals- 15, 20, 24" Giant Beats, 20" Signature Traditional Prototype Crash, 20" 2000 Mellow China

Check out my band: Last Year's Winners

6. New and Improved!!

If it works, more power to ya'. Certainly looks good from your pics. I'd be worried the FT's are too big/too heavy for an Opti (pressure on the lugs), but who am I to say. It's your kit and you did a nice job.

7. Mountain Man

Looks good Axe, but those floors might be too heavy for optimounts! Might make those floors a pain to tune up.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

8. Pearl does it for me

Hi axeman,
    Great work with that so far!

If you have any doubts one opto will do the job satisfactorily, use 2!
    Years ago when I first got here, peeps were doing just that...

9. Registered User

I have had single optimounts on 2 big floor toms. One is a 14 X 14 the other is a 16 X 16 for over 12 years. A single optimount holds those toms just fine. Set up on a gibraulter rack. No security problems at all. For tune ups...I take my drums off of my rack. That kit is so big I cannot reach all the tuning rods on the bottom of the toms. So it's easier for me just to take the drums off of the rack to tune them.

AXEMAN

10. Pearl does it for me

Quote Originally Posted by AXEMAN View Post
    I have had single optimounts on 2 big floor toms. One is a 14 X 14 the other is a 16 X 16 for over 12 years. A single optimount holds those toms just fine. Set up on a gibraulter rack. No security problems at all. For tune ups...I take my drums off of my rack. That kit is so big I cannot reach all the tuning rods on the bottom of the toms. So it's easier for me just to take the drums off of the rack to tune them.

AXEMAN
    All good mate...

11. Registered User

Bumparoo, but this was exactly what i was looking for! Been thinking about modifying my VBA 14x12 and 16x14 floor toms to 'hanging' floors, because i like that more (and easier to setup and tear my set down for rehearsals). Was thinking on how to 'plug' the holes where the floor toms legs mount are and this is a nice solution. Perhaps there are some smaller plugs so they don't cover such a large portion of the shell.
    Pearl BCX in Lava Bubinga | Pics
    22x18 (2), 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x6.5" Pearl Kapur snare drum

Pearl VBA in Dynamite Burst | Pics
    22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 matching snare

Alesis DM10 | Pics

12. The Hardware Guy

Why not just fit the Opti on a "panel" that doesn't have a badge or leg mount? I can see at least two in your pics. and if you're going to use the plugs and paint them, why not paint them red to match the shell and blend in, rather than gold to match a badge they're nowhere near and stick out like a sore thumb? I find no logical thinking in any of this....
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest