Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Demon Drive heel plate fix

Since I was having trouble with bearings in the heel plate of my double Demon Drive (clicking sound and a lot of side-to-side motion) Pearl sent me a new pair of heel plates. After a few months they also developed play so I decided to make a DIY fix that will solve this problem.

Now, before you try this, be sure to know this will void the warranty. I only did this cause I had a pair of old heel plates laying around. If I didn't I probably would never do this.

What you would need per heel plate is: two 625 bearings (16mm outer diameter, 5mm inner diameter, 5mm thickness), 8 washers 1mm thickness and silicone. I was using some red silicone which is used for making gaskets. It is also pressure resistant (http://www.cyclo.com/C952.html). I already have this one so this is the one I used, you can probably go with another, there's only couple of drops needed.

To disassemble the hinge, you need to remove the orange caps first. That's done with 2mm allen screw (this one is not provided with the pedal). Remove the from both sides.

This is what you will find after. That's 8mm nut that should be removed too. On both sides.

After that, unscrew 2 little allens on the back of the middle part of the hinge. When you do this, don't unscrew them too much. Unscrew them only so it's easy to put back the axle but not allow it to rotate. This will help greatly with assembling it back. This is done with allen screw provided with the pedal (can't remember the size, it's the smallest, silver one).

This is how the hinge looks fully disassembled. Be sure not to loose that small spacer, it's the part of the axle and it's located behind the bearing.

Now clean all the parts thoroughly, there must be no grease or oil. I used acetone to clean the inner parts of the hinge, where bearings were.

Before applying silicone to the hinge, I suggest putting a bearing on one side of the axle (the one that has the spacer on it already).

First you need to put two spacers (the ones from the first pic, 1 mm thick), than the bearing, two more spacers, so there's two spacers on each side of the bearing and then a nut. Tighten it, but don't over-tighten.

Then apply silicone in the inner part of the hinge, where bearings were (that hole for lubrication can be your guide). Don't put too much of silicone and be careful, you have only 15 minutes to assemble the hinge before silicone starts to harden. You will need only couple of minutes to assemble it, but still it's a good thing to know, that's the reason I said to put the bearing on one side prior to that.

When assembling it, you should put the middle part inside the outer part, bottom facing up. Put the axle through both parts and then tighten the allens on the middle part.

After that, put the spacer (the one that was originally on the axle) on the opposite end, than put 2 extra spacers, than bearing, another 2 spacers and nut. Tighten the nut and put orange caps back in. Before tightening the caps, be sure to align the middle part so there's same distance on both sides.

Again, don't over-tighten. Also put some pressure on the sides of the caps with your fingers, but don't press it too much.

I suggest trying to assemble the hinge a couple of times before you apply the silicone, just to be sure how it goes, so there's no surprises once the silicone is applied. It's not hard to assemble it, but just for the sake of avoiding errors.
    Silicone needs 24 hours to harden completely, so don't use it on the pedal before that.

I already did this on my slave pedal a couple of months ago and it works perfectly. Those ball bearings are as smooth as original spherical bearings and the beater makes the same amount of wiggles with them as with spherical ones, but with ball bearings there's absolutely no play in the hinges anymore and no side-to-side motion. Now I decided to do the same with my main pedal. My main foot is stronger so we'll see how this will cope with it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

2. Registered User

Thanks.

3. Registered User

There's two pics missing from the first post (can't put more than 10 images per post), so here they are.

This is where the silicone should be applied.

4. Bend over... I'll Drive!

May have to do this, my slave pedal is begging to feel a bit 'loose', anfd i cant put my finger on where!

5. Go Kimi Räikkönen

Thanks a lot Drobac. I have same issue with my Demons and I have been thinking to try what could be done to fix this. I will definately do this. Rep!

It is shame that Demons have this kind of problems If Demons could have Axis drive shaft and footboard hinge it would be best pedal ever IMO.

6. Registered User

Mine shaft is fine, Pearl also updated Z-link shafts, I think they have bearings now. As for Axis hinges goes, they also have problems, there's a lot of people complaining on it (older versions that is), but Axis is constantly approving them. I don't know if newer ones have any problems.

7. My Concord Faded

Whats the purpose of the silicone?
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

8. Registered User

To compensate for tolerances between the bearing and the housing. If you don't put the silicone, there will still be some play between the bearing and the housing. My friend (which is auto mechanic) told me there's also some kind of spray for that but I've never seen one.

9. My Concord Faded

Clearance in height (top to bottom) or width (side to side)? If its height i would rather drill holes and slide a couple set screws in there to secure the bearings.
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

10. Registered User

Top, bottom, front and back. There's already holes on top of the heel plate for lubrication of spherical bearings. Since they are no longer needed, you could just tap a thread in there and put the screws. This didn't crossed my mind to be honest, but I would still not do that since sometimes you have to screw them a bit tighter to secure a bearing which results in putting to much pressure on a bearing which interferes with its rotation, because the bearing distorts a bit.

11. Registered User

Why not green Loctite?