Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikefivetwenty View Post
    I DO NOT want to be playing on something that's like a junior set or something.
    Funny, and here I was considering picking up a cheap junior set to use for a very small gig.

2. Registered User

Mike,
    It is not a kids set. I am 44 years old and I own a 9 piece pearl forum set. They have good sound and are durable. I got the Forum series because of it being affordable. Get the drums......they will work

3. Registered User

I picked up a Forum on EBay for $350 in a new condition when I first started playing. I really kicked out though, the lady bought it for her daughter when she started taking lessons and she quickly lost interest. No only that, they were local so I didn't have I pay shipping.

Long story short: I picked it up 6 years ago. It was a great starter kit, but I've gotten to the point that I need a more serious kit. At this point, my Forum is more of a hindrance than an aid.

Do yourself a favor. If you're serious, be patient, save, and start your self right with a decent kit

4. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by sethfreakingely View Post
    I picked up a Forum on EBay for $350 in a new condition when I first started playing. I really kicked out though, the lady bought it for her daughter when she started taking lessons and she quickly lost interest. No only that, they were local so I didn't have I pay shipping.

Long story short: I picked it up 6 years ago. It was a great starter kit, but I've gotten to the point that I need a more serious kit. At this point, my Forum is more of a hindrance than an aid.

Do yourself a favor. If you're serious, be patient, save, and start your self right with a decent kit
    I agree with this.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

5. Registered User

X3 On trying to find a slightly higher grade kit over the forum. Will definitely be worth it in the not so distance future if you keep playing drums. There are a lot of nice Gretsch, PDP, and TAMA Kits with quality shells also that can be found for a lower cost. Also the Pearl Vision's as mentioned above.

6. Tama Artist

Todays Forums are yesterdays Exports, nothing wrong with them at all.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

7. My Concord Faded

Actually, todays Exports are last years Forums which are the mid 2000's Exports. Confusing huh?
    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
    Kick Sub Mod
    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

8. Registered User

Mike, hopefully you've been able to come to an educated decision based on all the great responses to your question. I'm glad to see there hasn't been much "forum bashing". Unfortunately many times people confuse less expensive with cheap. It would probably be fair to say that a majority of drummers that play on higher end kits don't need those kits, but want them. You cannot put aside the reality of the world we live in. There are some top notch drummers out there that don't even know what kind of drums they even have, picked up pieces here and there and just love to play. I've seen some crazy local acts rocking out on Forums, Tama Imperialstars, and even some other "entry level" kits. True there is a line between so cheap that your shells and hardware will literally start to fall apart, but the Forum simply does not fall into this category. I think unfortunately it falls into the "oh, it's a Forum" kit? No different that the teenage boy driving a Hyundai instead of a Honda. We all fall victim of the image. With the personal choice of the kits owner, experimenting with different heads and tunings, a Forum will sound as good as anything else in a local bar or just jamming out with your friends. Now in a studio there is a lot more to consider, but I wouldn't let the cheaper price scare you away from a Forum kit.
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/album.php?albumid=260

Pearl Export
    10", 12", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

Pearl Vision VSX
    10", 12", 13", 14"F, 16"F, 22"B

9. Registered User

Being that I am said 14 year old drummer I can see exactly what you all are saying. On a regular basis I'm playing three different kits. At home I have my personal Forum Kit. At church I use this kit that I have not had to time to notice much more than that it sounds good. And at my friends house I play a Yamaha Rydeen kit. The Forum doesn't sound bad. But it could be a heck of a lot better. My Forum sounds pretty freaking good live (yes I have played live with some friends). I'd personally say just keep your kit and use it until you can't anymore.

10. Registered User

I would buy used, I bought a nice export , like new condition, came with some nice hardware, cheaper cymbals, zbt ride, sabian crash & pie pan hi-hats, $350.00- plus when some one ask a price there always room to negotiate, might go cheaper, but if not, you know the price! New- there is a sales tax, so you purchase price can change quickly! I bought NEW, on my first kit, I have bought used ever since! I just bought Pearl sessions elite 5 piece, shells only $100.00

Buy used! But if you go to meet someone about a kit, it's okay to pass, if it's not what YOU are looking for! Shop around!

11. sdrawkcab

Forums are legit drums made to a budget but are put together fantastically. I still have mine from 2009 and even did a tour with them with Deni Hynes.

No kids kits at all.
    I've been on the forum for 14 years??? What the heck have I been doing all this time??

12. Registered User

Loads of dead old threads coming around. Is this unusual? If not it seems a bit redundant.
    Thanks. MPK.
    (not complaining. simply curious)