Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Dean... I am still trying to work out what snare to use with it. Currently it is a 69' Supra and once a Gretsch snare that I am selling gets to Norway and I'm paid... I've got the new Ludwig Supra Black Beauty 6X14 with tube lugs, coming that was with the set. Both are going to be similar in character. But one COB, the other COA... still Ludwig. I've got a DW Edge broken glass and I've tried it in the set, just not sure about it. I think that my favorite sounding snare, right now, is my Yamaha MCA, but I think that blue sparkle would be just a bit weird looking with this kit. I know that shouldn't matter... but it just looks so cool. I am going to switch to single ply coated on the toms, today, just to see what they sound like. I still have the stock heads that've never had a stick put to them and I think they will be next... probably much like the G2's.

2. Registered User

Beautiful kit my friend!!!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gbaker View Post
    Dean... I am still trying to work out what snare to use with it. Currently it is a 69' Supra and once a Gretsch snare that I am selling gets to Norway and I'm paid... I've got the new Ludwig Supra Black Beauty 6X14 with tube lugs, coming that was with the set. Both are going to be similar in character. But one COB, the other COA... still Ludwig. I've got a DW Edge broken glass and I've tried it in the set, just not sure about it. I think that my favorite sounding snare, right now, is my Yamaha MCA, but I think that blue sparkle would be just a bit weird looking with this kit. I know that shouldn't matter... but it just looks so cool. I am going to switch to single ply coated on the toms, today, just to see what they sound like. I still have the stock heads that've never had a stick put to them and I think they will be next... probably much like the G2's.
    Forget the Black Beauty. Sell the DW too and buy a Joyful Noise!

Buy Nice or Buy Twice!

My Cherry Craviottos

4. Registered User

JckCustom... Joyful Noise??? I will have to look into that. I have no idea what they are. Maple_Shells thanks for the kind words.... I've been obsessing about this for the last month.

5. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gbaker
    JckCustom... Joyful Noise??? I will have to look into that. I have no idea what they are. Maple_Shells thanks for the kind words.... I've been obsessing about this for the last month.
    Get a acoutin custom

6. Registered User

Default Acoutin Snare

Brian... checked them out on youtube. Tonally, they remind me of Sleishman stave... use to own one and there is just something about characteristics of resonance and attack. There just seems to be a commonality of tone. Picked up the Black Beauty today and am about to put a stick and a key to it. For the sake of peace in my home... I better take a break for a while. But, hey, thanks for tempting me, though.

7. Banned

Brian... checked them out on youtube. Tonally, they remind me of Sleishman stave... use to own one and there is just something about characteristics of resonance and attack. There just seems to be a commonality of tone. Picked up the Black Beauty today and am about to put a stick and a key to it. For the sake of peace in my home... I better take a break for a while. But, hey, thanks for tempting me, though.
    Been talking to cooper Acoutin. He is gonna make me a 7x14 solid bubinga brass snare. Cant wait!

8. Registered User

Sweet dude. That's a nice snare and I owned one awhile back. My joyful noise brass is like everything I love about the black beauty x 100. You should def check one out next time your in the market.

Curt makes these drums to be similar to the black Beauty of the 20s. Very Heavy brass spun shell. All NOB hardware. Hand crimped beds. Good stuff.

Buy Nice or Buy Twice!

My Cherry Craviottos

9. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JckCustom

Sweet dude. That's a nice snare and I owned one awhile back. My joyful noise brass is like everything I love about the black beauty x 100. You should def check one out next time your in the market.

Curt makes these drums to be similar to the black Beauty of the 20s. Very Heavy brass spun shell. All NOB hardware. Hand crimped beds. Good stuff.
    Yeah. That would be nice. Just spent 1049 on the Acoutin. I have a dunnett stainless steel. Would love a Brady she oak snare first

10. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brianscott

Yeah. That would be nice. Just spent 1049 on the Acoutin. I have a dunnett stainless steel. Would love a Brady she oak snare first
    Also have a Longo solid walnut. No mass produced snares for me

11. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by digga View Post
    Good to hear, i was a little upset, that yours did not sound good, because...i took mine out of the box, tuned the factory heads (Remo Emp.) played it and fell in deep love with this kit. At the moment i play Vintage Coated Emp on it, and im not quite sure what kind of head i prefere...next try will be the norm. Emp. coated.

Single ply i do not like that much...i hit them to hard with a 3A stick...and are not durable enough for me...

My Tipp for Snare Drum, in my case a Ref.Pure 13x6,5...Emperor X! Sound killer, and still nice overtones! Give it a try...
    Definitely my go-to head for the snare as well. I used it on my RF, masters birch and masters MCX, all with fantastic results.
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

12. Mountain Man

Quote Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
    Also have a Longo solid walnut. No mass produced snares for me
    Well hello Mr. Fancypants!
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218