Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new snare

1. Registered drum user

Quote Originally Posted by Drummeral View Post

That snare is going to have a real 'bark' to it.....!!
    This thread is really bringing out the punsters.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Pearl SMX Marine Blue Fade (outdoor pictures)
    Pearl Limited Edition Burl Mahogany Snare
    Vintage 60s Ludwig snare restoration
    Sabian cymbals and Vic Firth sticks

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Matematika View Post
    how will you dry it?
    I am new to this so I am still figuring it out. (Any suggestions welcome) I am thinking that I will probably use a chain saw (or perhaps router if I can find a long enough blade) to hollow out the middle to get a cylinder with a wall width of about 3 inches, then just air dry it for a number of months. Perhaps I will coat it with some sort of sealer at the edges to slow down the drying from the edges. Then after it has air dried for a few months if I can find a local person/company with a kiln that will offer that service. (Anyone know anyone is Sydney?)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Burrito View Post
    Here's my Luka shelled free floater, to give you some inspiration! Keep us posted on your progress!

Attachment 446180

Attachment 446181

This last one shows the thickness of my Heartwood walnut snare, which is made from a hollowed out log as well.

Attachment 446183
    Beautiful drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Drummeral View Post
    That snare is going to have a real 'bark' to it.....!!
    I've unleashed a monster.

3. Natural Finish Army

blues, now that will be one slow growing project.........

Seriously, that will be a fun snare to have. Looking forward to the journey and completion.

4. Registered User

It will be phenomenal! Look forward to updates. How many tries will you get i.e. how much raw material do you have to go through?
    MD
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    It will be phenomenal! Look forward to updates. How many tries will you get i.e. how much raw material do you have to go through?
    MD
    Just one. If I crack it, it will have to change to a "stave" snare project. I should have thought to ask the guy who cut down the tree to leave me enough for say 3, but I did not think things through at the time.

6. Beats on the Brain

What kind of wood are you working with?

7. Vulgaris Magistralis

lovetheblues, if I may give some advice, don't try to do this in months, it will almost surely take a year, if not more, just to prevent any cracking.

You will need some sort of moisture content meter (seeing as you build drums regularly, you might already own one) to check each stage of drying.

To prevent cracking from drying to fast, you want to seal the end grain of the wood (just the end grain) from the start, (use some sealant from a store, or just some regular wax / candle-wax will do just fine)

Try to repeat this with each pass you make i'dd say.

I shall wish you the best of luck with this snare
    Proud owned of a Blue Pearl MLX:
    10",12",13",14",16" Toms
    22" Bassdrum
    and a marvelous 14x6.5 Pearl free-floating brass snare

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by livingstone View Post
    This thread is really bringing out the punsters.
    Yeah they're all crawling out of the woodwork now
    Selling:
    Tama Artwood Black 13x6.5" Snare

PM me - UK

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Burrito View Post
    What kind of wood are you working with?
    It is Eucalyptus, and I am in Sydney, so I assume Sydney Blue Gum, or Eucalyptus Saligna.

Quote Originally Posted by drumdudeguyfello View Post
    lovetheblues, if I may give some advice, don't try to do this in months, it will almost surely take a year, if not more, just to prevent any cracking.

You will need some sort of moisture content meter (seeing as you build drums regularly, you might already own one) to check each stage of drying.

To prevent cracking from drying to fast, you want to seal the end grain of the wood (just the end grain) from the start, (use some sealant from a store, or just some regular wax / candle-wax will do just fine)

Try to repeat this with each pass you make i'dd say.

I shall wish you the best of luck with this snare
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will seal the edges and dry it out slowly. Actually I don't make that many snares. I wish I had more time... What do you mean "repeat this with each pass you make"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_read92 View Post
    Yeah they're all crawling out of the woodwork now
    Knot this again. Just shows what warped and twisted minds on PDF. Not a grain of sense anywhere.

10. Registered User

Hi Bluessy,I am originally from Sydney and if you contact Sydney Uni Chemical Engineering Dept. they have done some research in drying hardwoods.I think they have a drying kiln inhouse they use for their research.Hope this helps but I could not think of any other puns other that has already been used,touch wood.RW.

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Robertw8 View Post
    Hi Bluessy,I am originally from Sydney and if you contact Sydney Uni Chemical Engineering Dept. they have done some research in drying hardwoods.I think they have a drying kiln inhouse they use for their research.Hope this helps but I could not think of any other puns other that has already been used,touch wood.RW.
    Many thanks; will try.

12. Vulgaris Magistralis

Quote Originally Posted by lovetheblues View Post
    It is Eucalyptus, and I am in Sydney, so I assume Sydney Blue Gum, or Eucalyptus Saligna.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I will seal the edges and dry it out slowly. Actually I don't make that many snares. I wish I had more time... What do you mean "repeat this with each pass you make"?

Knot this again. Just shows what warped and twisted minds on PDF. Not a grain of sense anywhere.
    What i mean is, don't cut it straight to it's final size, take wood off about like max. 1-2 inches at a time, exposing wood of higher moisture content, then letting it dry again for a certain period of time.
    Proud owned of a Blue Pearl MLX:
    10",12",13",14",16" Toms
    22" Bassdrum
    and a marvelous 14x6.5 Pearl free-floating brass snare