Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '66 Ludwig WMP

1. @joeyryandrums

Default '66 Ludwig WMP

Wondering about a 1966 Ludwig in white marine pearl, 3 ply with re-rings, and white paint interior coating

was wondering if you guys had info on these drums, how they sound and about how much they're worth in good condition nowadays?

might get a 22 13 16 kit for at most 1100... said obo..

thanks!

Name:  3Gd3L53N65Fd5H35M1d141a4d9e825c5e1c30.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  37.0 KB

2. I <3 Ludwigs.

Holy hell! Jump on that ****!
    The wrap doesn't look yellowed hardly at all. Don't see any extra holes/mounts in the bass. Look like a great find!
    Does it come with the Supra or any hardware?
    Just the 3 drums in that shape are definitely worth $1100 in my book, but I always take advantage of the OBO!
    See if he'll take $900 but $1100 isn't bad at all!

3. @joeyryandrums

haha thats what i thought! i'm trying!
    "hardware in immaculate condition, no yellowing or wrap coming off. no Supra tho.."

he said someone is coming to see them already on friday, but also that he had the originally listed for 1500... so if i could pay that, which for someone who can barely come up with 1200(what i tried to offer) im a little disheartened, but we'll see!

4. I <3 Ludwigs.

Well, on the plus side, this is pretty much the most common finish Ludwig used for decades, so if you miss out on this one there will always be another one around. I've had WMP snares from Ludwig, WFL, Gretsch, and Camco!

5. @joeyryandrums

yeah he stated they were RARE, which i wasnt sure if it was very true, but for the condition they were in yea...
    which one did you like the best out of those snares ? lol

i could get it 1300 tomorrow he said.. but then that would crush my dream of an RCI acrylic i was going to get..

6. I <3 Ludwigs.

If by rare he means super-common, he's right! LOL
    I could see them making $1200-1500 in that condition, but the market's still pretty soft, so I'd be a little surprised.

The WFL and Ludwig are practically identical and I like them better than the Camco or Gretsch.

7. Less is more

hard to see exactly what condition they are in, but, yeah, definitely great drums. not rare. all over ebay all the time, but those look very clean and mostly original.
    if you miss out, there are always more of those floating around for $1100 or maybe less.

8. I <3 Ludwigs.

Any news?

9. Pearl Lifer

as others have stated, not all that rare. I would be very careful spending that kinda scratch on ludwig shells of that era. take the heads off all drums and inspect carefully. hacked on bearing edges, ply separation, and grossly warped/out of round shells are the standard rather than the exception for that era from ludwig.

imo finding 3 consecutive ludwig shells of that era where one or all of the aforementioned issues is not present is extremely rare. in that case maybe worth the money.

ftr I think the maple/poplar sandwich shells sound great, imo especially in kick drum form. it just seems there was little to no quality control from ludwig back then, if they made it, they sold it.

10. @joeyryandrums

Quote Originally Posted by erwinner View Post
    Any news?
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Bot View Post
    as others have stated, not all that rare. I would be very careful spending that kinda scratch on ludwig shells of that era. take the heads off all drums and inspect carefully. hacked on bearing edges, ply separation, and grossly warped/out of round shells are the standard rather than the exception for that era from ludwig.

imo finding 3 consecutive ludwig shells of that era where one or all of the aforementioned issues is not present is extremely rare. in that case maybe worth the money.

ftr I think the maple/poplar sandwich shells sound great, imo especially in kick drum form. it just seems there was little to no quality control from ludwig back then, if they made it, they sold it.

decided not to go for it, needed to jump on it but without enough leeway with funds i didnt feel comfortable just going for it . thanks for the advice guys!