Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 173 of 173 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173
Results 2,065 to 2,076 of 2076
  1. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
    I appreciate you humoring me and my comments. This old dog is still open to learning new tricks. I appreciate the compliment as well.
    To get this thread back on track, I wish to say that I think the snare looks wonderful.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend...
    This older dog is always open to learning new things as well.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by quicksticks View Post
    Of course this is all in good fun. Because you were referring to pedals, I believe it should be, there are, because pedals are countable. So, plethora would depend upon what you’re talking about. There is a plethora of knowledge about drums on the PDF. There are a plethora of snares available. The interesting thing is that the contraction would work I both cases. I started college as a business major. I found it boring. I switched to English and finally graduated with a degree in psychology. After learning that a degree in psychology was generally worthless, I went back to school and got another degree in Education. My grammar is pretty good, but I do make mistakes. I did notice that you write very intelligently and I respect that.
    Still, though, Cheez_Whiz is correct.

I imagine that the plethora is the subject. It is singular. Regardless of the technical explanation (which I don't claim to know), the original wording is correct.

PS Cheez, you were considering "collective", not "plural"
    Pearl/Dixon/Paiste/LP/Remo/Pro-Mark 5ABN

3. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    Still, though, Cheez_Whiz is correct.

I imagine that the plethora is the subject. It is singular. Regardless of the technical explanation (which I don't claim to know), the original wording is correct.

PS Cheez, you were considering "collective", not "plural"
    I think this is one of those things that has been debated forever. I think that plethora implies that there are many. I was taught that it depended on whether the subject can be counted. Pedals can be counted. I learned this stuff over 50 years ago when I had a plethora of brain cells.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

4. Registered User

I think this is one of those things that has been debated forever. I think that plethora implies that there are many. I was taught that it depended on whether the subject can be counted. Pedals can be counted. I learned this stuff over 50 years ago when I had a plethora of brain cells.
    I understand what you are saying. But plethora is still a singular term.

One does not say "there are a group of students". Instead, there "is" a group of students...

Same same.

That's my understanding anyway.

5. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by MattKeaton View Post
    I understand what you are saying. But plethora is still a singular term.

One does not say "there are a group of students". Instead, there "is" a group of students...

Same same.

That's my understanding anyway.
    I hear what you’re saying. Again, I was taught it would be dependent on whether the students could be counted. I can see instances of both. I really don’t think of these things as I write on the PDF; I usually just use what sounds right. Did you like my use of the semicolon?

After living in Florida for 44 years, I find myself saying “ya’ll” once in a while. Being around kids for 35 of those years, I even find myself saying, “my bad.” There was a time when that term made my skin crawl. I’m sure you have a few colloquialisms of your own .
    Last edited by quicksticks; 06-09-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

6. Registered User

I hear what you’re saying. Again, I was taught it would be dependent on whether the students could be counted. I can see instances of both. I really don’t think of these things as I write on the PDF; I usually just use what sounds right. Did you like my use of the semicolon? After living in Florida for 44 years, I find myself saying “ya’ll” once in a while. Being around kids for 35 of those years, I even find myself saying, “my bad.” There was a time when that term made my skin crawl. I’m sure you have a few colloquialisms of your own .
    Heh... most definitely!

Semicolon was exquisite

7. Dalmi Joedi - Jedi

I hear what you’re saying. Again, I was taught it would be dependent on whether the students could be counted. I can see instances of both. I really don’t think of these things as I write on the PDF; I usually just use what sounds right. Did you like my use of the semicolon?

After living in Florida for 44 years, I find myself saying “ya’ll” once in a while. Being around kids for 35 of those years, I even find myself saying, “my bad.” There was a time when that term made my skin crawl. I’m sure you have a few colloquialisms of your own .
    I say “dude” way too much. I bet it dates me like older musicians sounded like to me when they use the word “groovy”.

8. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by dale w miller View Post
    I say “dude” way too much. I bet it dates me like older musicians sounded like to me when they use the word “groovy”.
    I remember the word groovy being used on tv and Simon and Garfunkel did a song called Feeling Groovy, but I really don’t remember anyone I knew ever using the term. It was one of those terms that everyone knew what it meant, but it wasn’t cool to use.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

9. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    Thanks for sharing Marv! Your DB looks great! I love mine. I just set mine up today, and was playing all throughout the day. It's now one of my favorite snares. I've also "rediscovered" the Genera Dry head. Now with recording, I've learned that resonance and overtones are not the same thing. The Genera Dry cuts most of the nasty overtones that my microphones hate, and gives a warm, even tone. The drum sounds great with the kit! Do you have a Tune-Bot Marv?
    I do have a Tune Bot. The DB is one of my favorites as well.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

10. Playing since 1976

I do have a Tune Bot. The DB is one of my favorites as well.
    I have the snare side very tight, and looser at the snare wires (the way we've talked about it before), and the batter at 245 all the way around. With the dampened head, it sounds great! Broad, authoritative sound.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE

11. Chomp, Chomp

Quote Originally Posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
    I have the snare side very tight, and looser at the snare wires (the way we've talked about it before), and the batter at 245 all the way around. With the dampened head, it sounds great! Broad, authoritative sound.
    I’ve been using my Tunebot for my toms and my drum dial for my snares. I set my DB to 90 on the drum dial. I’ll have to check it with my Tunebot to see how close those to settings are. I’m guessing they’ll be close.
    Drumming since 1961.
    MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
    Paiste Cymbals

12. Playing since 1976

I’ve been using my Tunebot for my toms and my drum dial for my snares. I set my DB to 90 on the drum dial. I’ll have to check it with my Tunebot to see how close those to settings are. I’m guessing they’ll be close.
    It's probably lower than the tuning you have, but with some dampening on the drum, you might like the sound for solid beats.
    Website ===> CLICK HERE
    eBay auctions ===> CLICK HERE
    YouTube channel ===> CLICK HERE
    Facebook ===> CLICK HERE