Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Pearl Masters Drummer

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer freak 16 View Post
    The Starclassic Bubinga is an 8 ply kit. Tama uses 1mm plies, making an 8mm thick shell compared to Pearl's 7.5mm 6 ply. There isn't a gigantic difference other than maybe a little more resonance and a little less glue regardless of which one of us is right.
    Not trying to argue with you, I was just going by their website description.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/dr...=3&year=2012#1

2. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    Not trying to argue with you, I was just going by their website description.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/dr...=3&year=2012#1
    oh, no not being argumentative, I was just pointing out that there wasn't a great deal of difference between the drum sets we have described.
    Teenager who hates his generation...
    Pearl drums/hardware*Vic-Firth sticks*Diril cymbals*Evans heads

3. Rhythm Devil

Maybe I need glasses

Shells (Starclassic Bubinga)
    9ply Bubinga
    TT/FT:6mm
    BD:7mm

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Maybe I need glasses

Shells (Starclassic Bubinga)
    9ply Bubinga
    TT/FT:6mm
    BD:7mm
    Where did you find this information? I could stand corrected. But either way around, I guess its irrelevant when I think about it.

5. Registered User

No, I have been saving up excessive amounts of money for a Masterworks. I like the Masters sound (thats why I want to have the same bearing edges), but I want a more open sound with more attack (thus I will be getting superhoops and STL lugs). I also Just LOVE the sound of Simon Phillip's Bubinga/Maple shells, so I am hoping they will put two plies of Bubinga on the inside, four plies of Maple on the outside. I am getting fusion sizes since I like the feel of fusion sizes better, I figured Bubinga would help me regain some depth in the sound and give me that extra attack I want. That is what its known for after all. What do you think?
    Actually, for more attack, you would want to go with die-cast hoops. Superhoops will have slightly less attack, but will open up the sound of the drum to a certain degree. You can however offset this a small amount with sharp 45 degree bearing edges. Head selection will also play a part in the sound you're after.

Good luck with your project, sounds interesting.

6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TWH View Post
    Actually, for more attack, you would want to go with die-cast hoops. Superhoops will have slightly less attack, but will open up the sound of the drum to a certain degree. You can however offset this a small amount with sharp 45 degree bearing edges. Head selection will also play a part in the sound you're after.

Good luck with your project, sounds interesting.
    Yes, but I want a more open sound. Attack can be gained through means other than the hoops, i.e. wood choice, head choice, tuning, and the bearing edges. But there is no way to make the drum seem more open once die cast hoops are thrown on there. It's a versatility thing.

7. Pearl Masters Drummer

Where did you find this information? I could stand corrected. But either way around, I guess its irrelevant when I think about it.
    In post #13 I provided you with the link to that information but you must have missed it.

8. @joeyryandrums

diecast on batter, superhoops/fat tone on bottom? o0o0oh

the difference that only .5 to 1mm provideds, could basically be compensated by some nice tuning and the right heads for ther right attack and resonance. thickness will only cause a minimal variation in fullness of tone. compared to a drastically thinner Sonor Delite/Prolite 4mm w/2mm rerings on toms and 6mm w/2mm rerings bassdrum.

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jutt8 View Post
    In post #13 I provided you with the link to that information but you must have missed it.
    oh hey look at that! My bad. I have been very busy in my responses. Thus they are full of crappy things like capitalization mistakes and things. This is my last week of working three jobs though!

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TVTjoey View Post
    diecast on batter, superhoops/fat tone on bottom? o0o0oh

the difference that only .5 to 1mm provideds, could basically be compensated by some nice tuning and the right heads for ther right attack and resonance. thickness will only cause a minimal variation in fullness of tone. compared to a drastically thinner Sonor Delite/Prolite 4mm w/2mm rerings on toms and 6mm w/2mm rerings bassdrum.
    I agree in the fullest. Like I said the only difference is a little glue and a couple millimeters. Nothing to fret over.