Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 100
  1. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    To put this into context, I'm 42 years old and made my living playing trumpet for over a decade, right out of high school. While I have always had an interest in and fiddled with drums, I've only owned my own kit and gigged as a kit player for about the last 10, although prior to that I had an interest in ancient style (Fife and Drum) rudimental snare and learned how to do that in the early to mid 1990s - if you add the 8-9 years I spent as a rudimental snare drummer, then you don't have more experience as a drummer either. And experience is relative - how many gigs have you played and at what level were they? I was a premier military musician playing on the White House lawn for the President of the Unitited States, and since I was gigging pretty much daily, even if you've played drums a couple of years longer than me, (which I'm not sure you have) you most assuredly don't have more experience. Especially not if you are still a teenager - if you are teenager, then I was making a living as a professional musician before you were born.

    Does that help to put things into a bit different perspective?

    Now, if you are a prodigy like Tony Royster Jr. you may have an argument. Are you? If so, I doubt if you'd be asking these kinds of questions on this forum - if you were a prodigy, you'd be experienced enough that you should already know, right?
    I was just pointing it out, no need for hostility. But I did not get a silver medal in music at the academic decathlon national competition, make a nationally touring percussion ensemble, get a perfect five on the AP music theory test and Audition for Berklee, Frost, Eastman, Juliard and Thornton to be called an inexperienced musician. I have had plenty of gigs playing entirely original music, with some of my compositions being well over fifteen minutes long. I play primarily concert halls and theaters. Yes, for the record I am sixteen years old. I have studied in a formal environment since the age of two. My teacher is the section leader of the percussion section of my state's symphony. It would not have hurt to mention that you were such an accomplished musician in your first post, that changes things substantially. Drumset alone, I have been playing longer. You definitely have something on me in the world of Marching/field percussion, I have only been doing that for four years or so.
    Last edited by Drummer freak 16; 08-15-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Teenager who hates his generation...
    Pearl drums/hardware*Vic-Firth sticks*Diril cymbals*Evans heads

  2. Mountain Man

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    3,243

    Default

    I don't know what is better for drama, this thread or an episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians...
    Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

  3. Natural Finish Army

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    ^^^ Really, can't we just stick to the questions and keep all the B.S. OUT. This board is becoming a High School cafeteria..................Enough Already ! ! ! !

  4. Pearl Masters Drummer

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    6,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phips View Post
    ^^^ Really, can't we just stick to the questions and keep all the B.S. OUT. This board is becoming a High School cafeteria..................Enough Already ! ! ! !
    High school or middle school??? : )

  5. This is just a tribute

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,859

    Default

    Sheesh - sorry if I offended - I just felt it was important to point out (due to being lambasted by the OP) that I've got just a little bit of experience, and from a practical standpoint, considering that the OP is 16 years old, I was looking into the aspects of shell construction and gear when he was still playing with Tonka trucks in the dirt. (Of course I don't know if he actually DID play with Tonka trucks, but you see my point.)

    I think that based on what you have described, you might have some luck checking into the Tama Starclassic Performers in bugbinga/birch. Those are some of the nicest drums I have heard - they have a wonderfully punchy, dark tone to them. I had thought at one point about getting them as an upgrade to my maple SMX Sessions, but I wasn't positive that I'd continue to dig the sound after I'd had them for a while, but I've always liked the sound of maple. Having said that, you don't see to many of them on the used market, so they must be fairly well liked by those who have them. I think that based on what you have described, the Tama Starclassic bubinga/birch performers might be right up your alley and just what you are looking for to give you the kind of depth, attack and punch you are looking for, and they'd definitely be worth checking out.
    Patrick G.

    "95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

    "Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

  6. Registered User

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Sheesh - sorry if I offended - I just felt it was important to point out (due to being lambasted by the OP) that I've got just a little bit of experience, and from a practical standpoint, considering that the OP is 16 years old, I was looking into the aspects of shell construction and gear when he was still playing with Tonka trucks in the dirt. (Of course I don't know if he actually DID play with Tonka trucks, but you see my point.)

    I think that based on what you have described, you might have some luck checking into the Tama Starclassic Performers in bugbinga/birch. Those are some of the nicest drums I have heard - they have a wonderfully punchy, dark tone to them. I had thought at one point about getting them as an upgrade to my maple SMX Sessions, but I wasn't positive that I'd continue to dig the sound after I'd had them for a while, but I've always liked the sound of maple. Having said that, you don't see to many of them on the used market, so they must be fairly well liked by those who have them. I think that based on what you have described, the Tama Starclassic bubinga/birch performers might be right up your alley and just what you are looking for to give you the kind of depth, attack and punch you are looking for, and they'd definitely be worth checking out.
    Thanks man, We're good. I'm pretty difficult to offend . Thanks for the advice, and that is one of my second choice kits along with an MCX if I cant get what I'm looking for out of the Masterworks.
    Teenager who hates his generation...
    Pearl drums/hardware*Vic-Firth sticks*Diril cymbals*Evans heads

  7. This is just a tribute

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer freak 16 View Post
    Thanks man, We're good. I'm pretty difficult to offend . Thanks for the advice, and that is one of my second choice kits along with an MCX if I cant get what I'm looking for out of the Masterworks.
    For what it's worth, the current MCX is (well, at least how I see it anyway) the current incarnation of the Pearl MRX Masters that was being marketed when I bought my SMX. The main reason I went for the SMX is because I felt that it offered just about all of the goodness of the MRX without the price - the biggest differences being the finish and the hoops. The SMX had a 3 step lacquer finish where the MRX had something like a 21 step poly finish, and the SMX had 2.3 mm triple-flanged hoops as opposed to the Masters which all used die-cast hoops. However, where the rubber hit the road - the 6-ply, 7.5 mm maple shells - they were virtually the same shells formed on the same equipment with bearing edges cut the same way on the same machines.

    I've owned my SMX for 6 years and have never regretted purchasing it. I used my kit as the backline kit at a show we played about a month ago, and I got a ton of compliments on the sound. One drummer was like, "dude, your toms sound righteous!" With that in mind, I think that a Pearl MCX would also be a great kit to look into, although with the maple shells you might not get the darkness of tone offered by the Tama Starclassic Performer in bubinga birch. I think that it's just a nice combination and without sounding too much like a catalog advertisment, you get the warmth and punchiness out of the birch, but the darkness, attack and roundness from the bubinga.
    Patrick G.

    "95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

    "Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

  8. Banned

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,993

    Default

    All epeens aside, I think you may have sold me on a B/B...

  9. Pearl does it for me

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ilfracombe, Queensland Australia
    Posts
    3,107

    Default

    Drummer freak 16,

    It seems people like maple or birch!
    Tonally, birch is closer to bubinga than maple.

    Although you said you had already demoed heaps of kits, since Tama do a birch/bubinga shell already it may be worthwhile to check that out.
    I'd really hate to hear you made your mind up, ordered and received your kit, and decided you didn't quite like it as much as you thought you would. Much less the cost. Ultimately, your plan is based on theory

    And if for some reason, you can't get an inner ply (or 2) of bubinga, I'd suggest to lean more towards birch.

    You also said you don't want to go the power toms route (they seem to have seriously gone out of favour, but there is nothing wrong with power toms with quality ply) , but, once again, they should not be quickly dismissed if the inside bubinga ply is not available, as they give extra warmth and depth also...

  10. USER

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    112

    Default

    According to my calculations if your 16 and have been playing the better part of your life you will change your mind about this pipe dream masterworks set about 654,566,676,543,222,234,567,890,098,765 times before you know for shur what you want. Just a thought, happy drumming!!

  11. Away From The World

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
    Posts
    34,073

    Default

    Okay, well I'm just glad Reference covered the trees I like.

    Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18


  12. Chomp, Chomp

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    6,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse303 View Post
    According to my calculations if your 16 and have been playing the better part of your life you will change your mind about this pipe dream masterworks set about 654,566,676,543,222,234,567,890,098,765 times before you know for shur what you want. Just a thought, happy drumming!!
    According to my calculations, "your" should have been "you're," and " shur" should have been "sure."
    Also, there should have been a comma after calculations and life. It's hard to take anyone seriously when they write like this.
    Just saying.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •