Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Unban nik12

Default My Vision has Evolved.

Well, it seems like every time I update, I take away another tom. Indeed, I'm only using one floor tom now. I really love how close I can get my crash and how it's made me think a lot about my technique, snare sound, and how to get interesting fills out of such a small kit. I highly recommend trying it. I've been playing a lot of groove oriented music lately, even though I've listened to stuff like Periphery and The Word Alive as of late.

Anyways, on to the specs:
    Pearl Vision in Burl Walnut Fade
    22x18 with Aquarian Force 1 Coated batter and Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium Resonant with a felt strip. FAT. This thing is oozing tone.
    16x16 with Aquarian Studio-X Coated batter and Aquarian Modern Vintage Medium Resonant. I've got it tuned nice and low and it sounds great. I may try a Coated Performance 2 next time around, though.
    14x5 1976 B/O Ludwig Acrolite with Ludwig Heavy Coated batter and Remo Ambassador Snare Side with a set of 20 strand Puresound Blasters. This thing is amazing. Sounds super fat. Seriously, when I closed my eyes to listen to it, I asked the guy at the drum shop if it was the same snare. Easily could pass as a 6.5 deep. I am in love with this drum.

Cymbals are a mixture.
    15" Istanbul Mehmet Dark Legend Hats. Fairly heavy and loud. They're great, but I want something a little more sensitive and dark.
    20" Dream Bliss Crash/ride. This has an artificial patina on it and it's really mellowed out the sound. Sounds fairly dark and warm with a good bit of trashiness in it's voice. I love this thing.
    21" Sabian HHX Legacy signed by Benny Greb (not mine). My friend Ryder and I are doing a temporary swap of my 22" Dark Origin for the Legacy. He's been talking about buying it though, so I'm gonna get a 22" Sand Ride once I get the money. Anyways, this cymbal is interesting. I call it the Halfway Cymbal since it's halfway between everything. It's not bright, but not dark, it's washy enough to crash, yet articulate enough to ride, it's kind of trashy, but it's not, and the pitch is not high or low. I'm not a huge fan, but it works for now.

Hardware is nothing fancy.
    Pearl 900 snare stand, hat stand, and boom stand. I really want an Eliminator Hat stand.
    Pearl Eliminator 2002C converted to a single pedal with Vater Vintage Bomber.
    90's Pearl single braced stand
    Gibraltar Hydraulic Throne
    I'm also using Vater Fusions for set and Thom Hannum signature sticks for marching. I also have a set of Lightning Rods, Vater Monster Wood brushes, and a beat up set of Vic T2 Cartwheels that are going to be replaced.

Not shown are my 10x8 and 12x9 rack toms, 20" Zildjian A Armand Ride, 20" Meinl Byzance Jazz Sweet Light Ride (Has a repaired crack), and 10" Travis Barker signature OCDP side snare.

Next addition will be a cover plate so I can take the tom mount off the kick. When I get the money, I'm going to get a full set of Meinl Byzances. Let me know if you want those specs.

So yeah, time for images.

This one really shows off the bottom of the Legacy which is gorgeous.

2. Less is more

looks very cool. nice job.
    i notice it looks like your beater is not striking your kick in the center. in fact, way off. you might want to adjust the beater.
    interesting kick drum head choices.....

3. Unconscious

My patina job came out really nicely on the dream.....not so much on the legacy. Try it cleaning it up a bit, I think that's probably the only cymbal that sounded better before i treated it.
    Check out my Jelly Bean Vistalites!
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...wig-Vistalites

4. Away From The World

Nice tight set up. Reminds me of a kit a high school jazz band was using last night that I watched, very groovy.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

5. your band sucks

Jazzeh

6. Banned

Such is the evolution of a drummer. At least as far as I've found. I shrunk my kit down to a 4pc, and loved it. But now I can jump back behind the big kit and enjoy a whole different style of playing.

Looks great too. Pretty soon you'll have it down to a snare, hat, and bass...

7. A Passion Play ...

Sweet rig !!! Comfy looking setup !!!
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare. Why not ...

8. Unban nik12

Quote Originally Posted by chilledbongo View Post
    looks very cool. nice job.
    i notice it looks like your beater is not striking your kick in the center. in fact, way off. you might want to adjust the beater.
    interesting kick drum head choices.....
    Thanks a lot! I found that putting the beater in the center gave it more punch and focus than I prefer, so I put it slightly off center. It's not as bad as it looks in the pictures. John Bonham actually used a very similar technique and it worked well for him! As far as heads, I don't think that they're weird at all. Essentially, the Coated Force 1 is like a Coated Powerstroke 3 and the Modern Vintage Medium is like a Coated Ambassador. Big and open.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryder1337 View Post
    My patina job came out really nicely on the dream.....not so much on the legacy. Try it cleaning it up a bit, I think that's probably the only cymbal that sounded better before i treated it.
    The Dream is beautiful. You may not get it back. I think I will clean it. I'll put it in the tub and clean it with some Windex. Don't want to take off Benny's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiref View Post
    Nice tight set up. Reminds me of a kit a high school jazz band was using last night that I watched, very groovy.
    Thanks a lot! I like to think that I'm a groovy drummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Sam View Post
    Jazzeh
    Fanks. I liek ur kit 4 teh metulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by nik12 View Post
    Such is the evolution of a drummer. At least as far as I've found. I shrunk my kit down to a 4pc, and loved it. But now I can jump back behind the big kit and enjoy a whole different style of playing.
    Looks great too. Pretty soon you'll have it down to a snare, hat, and bass...
    Same. I can play with anything, but a 3 or 4 piece kit is the most fun for me. Yeah, 20 toms and 14 cymbals is fun, but little kits like this are what tickle me. Maybe I will someday. Maybe a big and small bass drum and 2 snares would be fun. I want to try that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sweet rig !!! Comfy looking setup !!!
    Thanks, man! Your kit is off the hook! Chestnut Fade is one of my favorites!

9. Registered User

What's with all this downsizing lately?
    3 piece... 2 piece...

Soon, there will be no drummers, only a guy standing in the background clapping.

10. Unconscious

Quote Originally Posted by dexplosion View Post
    What's with all this downsizing lately?
    3 piece... 2 piece...

Soon, there will be no drummers, only a guy standing in the background clapping.
    I threw away my kit and cut my hands off. Really going for the minimal approach.
    Typing this with my nose.
    Check out my Jelly Bean Vistalites!
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...wig-Vistalites

11. Unban nik12

Anyone have experience with SJC? I'm looking to them for my next snare which will be a 14x7 6 ply maple.

12. above the grid

Very cool kit, I dig the set-up. No wing nuts though?
    "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
    - Wyatt Earp